Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
THE Hoover Forum
05/17/24 at 12:43pm
News: Welcome to THE Hoover Forum - Check here for the forum rules.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Fine Arts Director? (Read 30865 times)
amp920
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Fine Arts Director?
04/22/10 at 6:37am

Posted at HCS Employment page:

Fine Arts Director - The Fine Arts Director supervises all fine arts and performing arts activities, including specialized professional learning for fine arts and performing arts staff, budget, curriculum design and implementation, arts-related events, community and business partnerships, and public relations so as to maximize creative student learning and community involvement.

Has there been any discussion here about this interesting development?  If so I missed it.  Very worthwhile in normal times but unusual when teaching positions are being cut everywhere in the system.  I have some ideas but wonder what others are thinking.  

View Profile   IP Logged
ProudBerryMom
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Re: Fine Arts Director?
Reply #1 - 04/22/10 at 7:15am

Andy Craig has wanted to compartmentalize the high schools for years.  He wants the math/science, IB, and technology school at HHS, and the fine arts at SPHS.  He does not want to have the schools zoned, and feels that the students should attend the schools based on the programs offered.  I do not think this will work, and I told him so after an HPTC meeting several years ago because teens want to attend school with their friends from their neighborhoods.

But, like an accountant, he is looking at saving money by not duplicating programs at the high schools.

Since Suzy Baker is now serving on the Board of Directors at the Alabama School of Fine Arts, I am sure she will be a great resource for such an endeavor.  

View Profile   IP Logged
my2cents
Hoover Forum All-Star Member

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #2 - 04/22/10 at 7:26am

Quote from ProudBerryMom on 04/22/10 at 7:15am:
Andy Craig has wanted to compartmentalize the high schools for years.  He wants the math/science, IB, and technology school at HHS, and the fine arts at SPHS.  He does not want to have the schools zoned, and feels that the students should attend the schools based on the programs offered.  I do not think this will work, and I told him so after an HPTC meeting several years ago because teens want to attend school with their friends from their neighborhoods.

But, like an accountant, he is looking at saving money by not duplicating programs at the high schools.

Since Suzy Baker is now serving on the Board of Directors at the Alabama School of Fine Arts, I am sure she will be a great resource for such an endeavor.  

Dang!  You made me spew my coffee on my screen.  AC and save in the same sentence?   

View Profile   IP Logged
ProudBerryMom
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #3 - 04/22/10 at 7:30am

Quote from my2cents on 04/22/10 at 7:26am:

Dang!  You made me spew my coffee on my screen.  AC and save in the same sentence?   

LOL I know...his words and ideas, not mine!!!

View Profile   IP Logged
amp920
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #4 - 04/22/10 at 3:48pm

I think when the selection is announced it will be clear that there is a hidden agenda -- finding a place to put someone.  Not for certain, just sayin'.  If my sources are wrong, I'll say so.

View Profile   IP Logged
Disillusioned
Hoover Forum Freshman

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #5 - 04/22/10 at 8:08pm

this is most definitely a position created in order to move someone. has anyone else figured out who is going there? it surprised me, but when i stopped and thought about it, i had to admit it was fairly typical of how things are done.  
incredible.

View Profile   IP Logged
hibousage

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #6 - 04/22/10 at 8:38pm

Peter Principle at it's finest?

Each morning, take time to imagine the person you want to be.
View Profile   IP Logged
westhoovermom
Hoover Forum Rookie

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #7 - 04/22/10 at 9:34pm

Andy Craig has wanted to compartmentalize the high schools for years.  He wants themath/science, IB, and technology school at HHS, and the fine arts at SPHS.  He does not want to have the schools zoned, and feels that the students should attend the schools based on the programs offered.  I do not think this will work, and I told him so after an HPTC meeting several years ago because teens want to attend school with their friends from their neighborhoods.

So what is my daughter, who wants to try the IB program and also wants to explore her talent for choir, drama, and dance, to do?  This is such ridiculous thinking.  And, it has nothing to do with attending school with your friends (although I agree that is important to kids).  It is about becoming a well-rounded individual, and being able to explore all of your talents.

I personally think the fine arts could use some directing...I am tired of seeing fabulous choirs at Bumpus performing in the gym!

View Profile   IP Logged
ProudBerryMom
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #8 - 04/22/10 at 9:39pm

Quote from westhoovermom on 04/22/10 at 9:34pm:
Andy Craig has wanted to compartmentalize the high schools for years.  He wants themath/science, IB, and technology school at HHS, and the fine arts at SPHS.  He does not want to have the schools zoned, and feels that the students should attend the schools based on the programs offered.  I do not think this will work, and I told him so after an HPTC meeting several years ago because teens want to attend school with their friends from their neighborhoods.

So what is my daughter, who wants to try the IB program and also wants to explore her talent for choir, drama, and dance, to do?  This is such ridiculous thinking.  And, it has nothing to do with attending school with your friends (although I agree that is important to kids).  It is about becoming a well-rounded individual, and being able to explore all of your talents.

I personally think the fine arts could use some directing...I am tired of seeing fabulous choirs at Bumpus performing in the gym!

I get it.  My daughter is at ASFA in math/science.  She also has other talents, and she is frowned upon when she wants to explore them.  I believe that children should be given opportunities to explore the arts and not be limited to just one passion.  I was simply repeating a conversation at an HPTC meeting a few years ago.

View Profile   IP Logged
googling

Proud Parent of a US
Army Infantry
Soldier

Reply #9 - 04/22/10 at 10:21pm

Why do they have to perform in the gym?  Simmons performs at Green Valley Baptist, Hoover performs at Bluff Park Methodist (one of the most impressive choirs I've ever seen), even Bluff Park Elementary chorus performs their yearly program at Shades Crest Baptist Church.  Why can't Bumpus perform at one of the local churches?  

And how would a fine arts person affect that?  For the above mentioned schools, the chorus teacher arranges the venue I believe.  Do we need another new position to handle what the teacher is already doing?

View Profile   IP Logged
ProudBerryMom
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #10 - 04/23/10 at 5:54am

Quote from googling on 04/22/10 at 10:21pm:

Why do they have to perform in the gym?  Simmons performs at Green Valley Baptist, Hoover performs at Bluff Park Methodist (one of the most impressive choirs I've ever seen), even Bluff Park Elementary chorus performs their yearly program at Shades Crest Baptist Church.  Why can't Bumpus perform at one of the local churches?  

And how would a fine arts person affect that?  For the above mentioned schools, the chorus teacher arranges the venue I believe.  Do we need another new position to handle what the teacher is already doing?

Do you remember several years ago when the plan was to build a Fine Arts building on Valleydale Road that would be used for concerts, plays, and other performances; graduations; and it could be rented as a venue for other events outside the school district.  Obviously that plan has been scrapped due to finances, but does anyone else remember when this idea was being discussed?

View Profile   IP Logged
voiceofreason

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #11 - 04/23/10 at 7:25am

Andy Craig has wanted to compartmentalize the high schools for years.  He wants the math/science, IB, and technology school at HHS, and the fine arts at SPHS.  He does not want to have the schools zoned, and feels that the students should attend the schools based on the programs offered.   

Yes, this would make perfect sense to an accountant.  Why duplicate programs at the two schools?  Force students to choose between science and art at an early age, and create one-dimensional learners.  It is, after all, more cost-efficient.  Just like "alternative service delivery" -- the accountant's term for replacing teachers with computers.  Or "maximize building capacity to limit capital expenses" -- the accountant's term for cramming as many teachers and students into one building as you possibly can, even if that means converting closets to classrooms and having large numbers of "floating" teachers.

View Profile   IP Logged
googling

Proud Parent of a US
Army Infantry
Soldier

Reply #12 - 04/23/10 at 7:42am

Quote from ProudBerryMom on 04/23/10 at 5:54am:
Quote from googling on 04/22/10 at 10:21pm:

Do you remember several years ago when the plan was to build a Fine Arts building on Valleydale Road that would be used for concerts, plays, and other performances; graduations; and it could be rented as a venue for other events outside the school district.  Obviously that plan has been scrapped due to finances, but does anyone else remember when this idea was being discussed?

Here's the thread:

http://hooverforum.com/hoover/YaBB.pl?num=1209787471/0

View Profile   IP Logged
amp920
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #13 - 04/23/10 at 8:01am

I don't think it's the Peter Principle; in fact almost the opposite, if it's who I think it is.  More like the loser of a turf battle very near the top of the heap.

View Profile   IP Logged
HSCIN II

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #14 - 04/23/10 at 10:20am

Yes, amp, I hear you.  I believe this is a position for Dr. Jarnagin.  I'm sick to my stomach.

View Profile   IP Logged
CS2
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #15 - 04/23/10 at 1:27pm

Quote from HSCIN II on 04/23/10 at 10:20am:
Yes, amp, I hear you.  I believe this is a position for Dr. Jarnagin.  I'm sick to my stomach.

oh please no!

View Profile   IP Logged
Disillusioned
Hoover Forum Freshman

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #16 - 04/23/10 at 5:35pm

we have a winner

View Profile   IP Logged
HSCIN II

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #17 - 04/23/10 at 6:52pm

I'm not sure who wins if I'm right about this.

View Profile   IP Logged
Hoovergal
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #18 - 04/23/10 at 10:28pm

This made up my mind.  Now I know how I will vote next week.

View Profile   IP Logged
amp920
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #19 - 04/24/10 at 6:42am

HSCIN II, that's what I have been hearing.  I too am sick.  Now the question is, who's in charge of academics if we don't have a "Chief Academic Officer"?  

This seems to presume some level of reorganization at the CO.  That should tell us if there is a winner.

View Profile   IP Logged
doll45
Hoover Forum Freshman

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #20 - 04/26/10 at 12:22pm

absolute waste of money....I agree that this position was created for Jarnigan...he already has a position, why are we changing it unless it comes with a pay cut, which I seriously doubt.....too much fluff in these tough times, fine arts director, district chef, friday rundown man and that's just a start....it is all ridiculous!

View Profile   IP Logged
ProudBerryMom
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #21 - 04/28/10 at 2:53pm

It is interesting that the tax extension vote and the post for the Fine Arts Director coincide.  I do not see the situation as doom and gloom like the rest of you.  I believe that someone will get this position as a reward.  Read the post again.  Talking about responsibility!  I am anxious to see how soon Hoover will break ground on the new Fine Arts Complex.

View Profile   IP Logged
ProudBerryMom
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #22 - 04/28/10 at 3:37pm

Okay, so let's play connect the dots.

1.  Tax extension vote which allows Hoover City Schools to.....refinance.....why (?)
2.  Post for a new Fine Arts Director (which sounds surprisingly like the job description posted at the Alabama School of Fine Arts a couple of years ago when Ms. Lundstrom returned to Sweden).
3.  Suzy Baker rolls off the HCS school board and immediately becomes a member of the Alabama School of Fine Arts Board of Directors.  I am sure she has learned so much about ASFA's budget woes and how the school has secured funding in the past.
4.  Andy Craig's comments about compartmentalizing schools and the goal of building a Fine Arts Complex on Valleydale Road.

Anyone want to play?  Anyone?

*waiting patiently*

View Profile   IP Logged
googling

Proud Parent of a US
Army Infantry
Soldier

Reply #23 - 04/29/10 at 10:36am

View Profile   IP Logged
hoover1990

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #24 - 04/29/10 at 3:43pm

Anyone know what the salary is for the new Fine Arts Director?

It is interesting that we have enough money for this position, but the school system has cut funding for new band instruments over the last two years down to zero.

Also in the last two years, positions of assistant band directors (people actually in the classroom teaching kids) have been eliminated at Spain Park, Bumpus and Simmons.

I'm sure choir and visual arts programs are taking similar hits, I just happen to know about the ones in the band programs.

View Profile   IP Logged
ProudBerryMom
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #25 - 04/29/10 at 4:11pm

Quote from hoover1990 on 04/29/10 at 3:43pm:
Anyone know what the salary is for the new Fine Arts Director?

It is interesting that we have enough money for this position, but the school system has cut funding for new band instruments over the last two years down to zero.

Also in the last two years, positions of assistant band directors (people actually in the classroom teaching kids) have been eliminated at Spain Park, Bumpus and Simmons.

I'm sure choir and visual arts programs are taking similar hits, I just happen to know about the ones in the band programs.

And yet each high school has 22 assistant football coaches?  Do they?  Still?  Will they be cut so no more fine arts positions will be cut?
Does this bother anyone else?

View Profile   IP Logged
indianchief2
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #26 - 04/29/10 at 4:41pm

Looks like the salary for the new fine arts director will be whatever Jarnagan is making now.  And band director as well?  That will be a busy job for him.

Bloom where you are planted.
View Profile   IP Logged
Hoovergal
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #27 - 04/30/10 at 6:37am

Cut backs here, cut backs there, rumors of more to come.   Anyone heard of any in Central Office?  Any?  Any chance Central Offfice salaries will be frozen for a year?  Just to show the "belt tightening" goes all the way around?

View Profile   IP Logged
BucStopsHere

Luke 12:2-3

Reply #28 - 04/30/10 at 9:01am

Quote from Hoovergal on 04/30/10 at 6:37am:
Cut backs here, cut backs there, rumors of more to come.   Anyone heard of any in Central Office?  Any?  Any chance Central Offfice salaries will be frozen for a year?  Just to show the "belt tightening" goes all the way around?

Andy just made $6M/yr for himself (less the cost of the late postcards). Why should he cut back on things that matter to him?

Central Office

Everywhere Else

View Profile   IP Logged
indianchief2
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #29 - 04/30/10 at 9:06am

Don't kid yourself.  

The cuts will be at the school level - and the justification will be that the schools are where the majority of the money is spent.  That part may be factual, but the reality is that the excess is spent in central office and in those other "supportive" areas like maintenance, transportation, etc.  Those won't be cut.

View Profile   IP Logged
ProudBerryMom
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #30 - 04/30/10 at 10:16am

Quote from BucStopsHere on 04/30/10 at 9:01am:
Quote from Hoovergal on 04/30/10 at 6:37am:

Andy just made $6M/yr for himself (less the cost of the late postcards). Why should he cut back on things that matter to him?

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:Q36lDm2zOJGyUM:csmoody.files.wordpress.com/20 09/01/raining-money.jpg Central Office

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:B_Ov96G9pPysRM:1.bp.blogspot.com/_XEkMyN00EB4 /SsvlOrQhXzI/AAAAAAAACHo/bLy_0nvDABI/s400/tighten-belt.jpg Everywhere Else

LMAO!!! Grin  BUt it really isn't funny, is it, because education is supposed to be about the children, not about the adults lining thier pockets. Angry

View Profile   IP Logged
hibousage

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #31 - 05/01/10 at 10:36pm

SPHS/Berry 2, SMS 0

I hope I'm wrong....I'd love to be...

View Profile   IP Logged
Hoovergal
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #32 - 05/02/10 at 12:10am

I hope you are wrong too....but I think you are right.  

It's like Baker is back on the Board.

View Profile   IP Logged
ProudBerryMom
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #33 - 05/03/10 at 9:23am

Quote from Hoovergal on 05/02/10 at 12:10am:
I hope you are wrong too....but I think you are right.  

It's like Baker is back on the Board.

Oh, no...Baker is on the Board of Directors at the Alabama School of Fine Arts!!! Shocked

What I can't understand is *why*

View Profile   IP Logged
Hoovergal
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #34 - 05/03/10 at 9:47am

Ken Jarnagin, Director of Fine Arts and takes over a failing Band Program at Spain Park High School.

Chris Neugent, Director of a successful Band Program at Simmons Middle School, takes a job as Assistant Director at Berry Middle School and Spain Park High School.

Mike Aycock, Director of the failing Band Program at Spain Park High School, moved to the Director's position at Simmons Middle School, which feeds into the successful program at Hoover High School.

View Profile   IP Logged
ProudBerryMom
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #35 - 05/03/10 at 2:55pm

Quote from Hoovergal on 05/03/10 at 9:47am:
Ken Jarnagin, Director of Fine Arts and takes over a failing Band Program at Spain Park High School.

Chris Neugent, Director of a successful Band Program at Simmons Middle School, takes a job as Assistant Director at Berry Middle School and Spain Park High School.

Mike Aycock, Director of the failing Band Program at Spain Park High School, moved to the Director's position at Simmons Middle School, which feeds into the successful program at Hoover High School.

I do not have a child @ SPHS yet, so I was wondering why the band program has been failing.  My child will not be a part of the band program, anyway....I'm just curious.

View Profile   IP Logged
hibousage

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #36 - 05/03/10 at 11:25pm

Quote from Hoovergal on 05/03/10 at 9:47am:

I truly would have loved to hear the rationale behind all this....

View Profile   IP Logged
Hoovergal
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #37 - 05/04/10 at 1:29pm

There are many rumors about the problems with the Spain Park Band and most of them go back to Mike Aycock.  The students at Spain Park who are interested in instrumental music deserve better and they have it now.  Jarnagin and Neugent will do a great job and the program should grow.

The young students at Simmons also deserve the best and they did not get it.  Why was Spain Park's problem moved to Simmons?  Why did Craig make this decision and why did the Board agree to it?

View Profile   IP Logged
amp920
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #38 - 05/04/10 at 4:10pm

I've never heard of AC providing any defensible reason for any decision he's made.

View Profile   IP Logged
Hoovergal
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #39 - 05/04/10 at 5:16pm

Well, this one is bad.  It looks like they are doing all they can for the SPHS band program and letting the Simmons band program twist in the wind.  Parents at Simmons are questioning if it is a deliberate effort to hurt the program.

View Profile   IP Logged
ProudBerryMom
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #40 - 05/04/10 at 5:53pm

View Profile   IP Logged
hibousage

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #41 - 05/04/10 at 6:04pm

He ought to look at the band rosters, and see all the AP and IB students.  They go together....

View Profile   IP Logged
CrystalClear
Hoover Forum Freshman

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #42 - 05/05/10 at 9:31pm

Simmons parents are more than upset.  Those students just came back from a competition in Georgia which included bands from all over the Southeast.  Those students won EVERYTHING!  They were #1 7th grade band #1 8th grade band and #1 Jazz Band.  The flutist from the Jazz band received the ONLY solo award given.  All the bands received the highest honor.  They were judged on character even when they were not performing.  Yes those kids won over all bands and ensembles that participated.  This is due to Chris Neugent's excellent leadership.  He has a true gift.  It seems that Simmons is getting a band director that has allowed the Spain Park program to dwindle to nothing.  Anything I have heard and seen about the Spain Park band  has not been positive which is very sad for the students. If anyone has information about the band director or band at Spain Park please share so that parents can have as much information and help our students.

View Profile   IP Logged
86bamafan
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #43 - 05/05/10 at 10:22pm

I can't believe they didn't just let Aycock go.  He has driven the SPHS band into the ground.

Neither of my kids were in the band.  I just know the stories they told about how the kids couldn't stand Aycock.

His Pearl Harbor theme this past year was embarrasing.

View Profile   IP Logged
hibousage

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #44 - 05/05/10 at 10:34pm

I'm sure tenure is involved...

I hope the Simmons parents keep the lines of communication open with Mr. Cain about how the band programs goes next year.  Maybe Aycock can make a fresh start with the younger students.  Nothing less than the program that is in place there right now should be tolerated though.  Parents will have to keep on top of this...

View Profile   IP Logged
ProudBerryMom
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #45 - 05/06/10 at 5:55am

Quote from CrystalClear on 05/05/10 at 9:31pm:
Simmons parents are more than upset.  Those students just came back from a competition in Georgia which included bands from all over the Southeast.  Those students won EVERYTHING!  They were #1 7th grade band #1 8th grade band and #1 Jazz Band.  The flutist from the Jazz band received the ONLY solo award given.  All the bands received the highest honor.  They were judged on character even when they were not performing.  Yes those kids won over all bands and ensembles that participated.  This is due to Chris Neugent's excellent leadership.  He has a true gift.  It seems that Simmons is getting a band director that has allowed the Spain Park program to dwindle to nothing.  Anything I have heard and seen about the Spain Park band  has not been positive which is very sad for the students. If anyone has information about the band director or band at Spain Park please share so that parents can have as much information and help our students.

Wow!  That is awesome!  Congrats to SMS bands!!!

View Profile   IP Logged
Hoovergal
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #46 - 05/06/10 at 3:04pm

Simmons parents should set up a meeting with Dr. Jarnagin, Director of Fine Arts, as soon as possible and express their concerns.

How did the Spain Park High School Band do at District/State Assessment?

View Profile   IP Logged
86bamafan
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #47 - 05/07/10 at 11:10pm

Quote from Hoovergal on 05/06/10 at 3:04pm:

The band is so small, they probably couldn't see them on the field.

View Profile   IP Logged
hibousage

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #48 - 05/08/10 at 9:32am

Quote from 86bamafan on 05/07/10 at 11:10pm:

While the band is small, and had more dancers than musicians on the field, the assessment has nothing to do with the half time show.  I'm sure you can score well with a small band.  It gives an indication of how well the musicians have been taught, how much they practice.

View Profile   IP Logged
monte
Hoover Forum Freshman

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #49 - 05/08/10 at 2:01pm

Mike Aycock has caused deep divisions within the arts department during his years there. He is critical of his colleagues and has a history of going to whatever top authority there is without regard for protocol or courtesy. During his first year, he was even vocally disdainful of school board members when he learned it was to his advantage to do so.

View Profile   IP Logged
CrystalClear
Hoover Forum Freshman

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #50 - 05/08/10 at 3:24pm

Quote from ProudBerryMom on 05/06/10 at 5:55am:
Quote from CrystalClear on 05/05/10 at 9:31pm:

Wow!  That is awesome!  Congrats to SMS bands!!!

Thanks for the Congrats to our kids.  Berry & SP will have a jewel with Chris Neugent.  He is the magic behind the talented students.

View Profile   IP Logged
CrystalClear
Hoover Forum Freshman

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #51 - 05/08/10 at 3:36pm

Quote from monte on 05/08/10 at 2:01pm:
Mike Aycock has caused deep divisions within the arts department during his years there. He is critical of his colleagues and has a history of going to whatever top authority there is without regard for protocol or courtesy. During his first year, he was even vocally disdainful of school board members when he learned it was to his advantage to do so.

The Simmons band parents just received an email last week from Brain Cain asking us to "trust his judgement".  I have done just that up until this decision.  After looking at vidoes from SP dating from 06 until now, it is obvious the program has suffered greatly.  The evidence is there in plain view for anyone to see.  If anyone on this forum has suggestions for our parents, please let me know via this forum, or send me a private message.  Yes, small bands can do very well, but there is clearly no reason for a band that was a decent sized in 07 and sounded very good to dwindle to a few.  Was this job even posted?  I thought jobs had to be posted for a certain period of time before interviews began.  Also, parent representatives were involved in the SP principal decision and if I'm not mistaken the HH band director decision.  How is this any different?  That alone makes anyone involved including central office and board members lose the trust of parents and question why Mr. Aycock was handed a highly successful program after the one he is leaving is suffering.

View Profile   IP Logged
CrystalClear
Hoover Forum Freshman

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #52 - 05/08/10 at 3:38pm

Simmons parents should set up a meeting with Dr. Jarnagin, Director of Fine Arts, as soon as possible and express their concerns.

Dr. Jarnagin told us to go through Mr. Cain first.  

View Profile   IP Logged
CrystalClear
Hoover Forum Freshman

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #53 - 05/08/10 at 3:40pm

Quote from hibousage on 05/05/10 at 10:34pm:
I'm sure tenure is involved...

I hope the Simmons parents keep the lines of communication open with Mr. Cain about how the band programs goes next year.  Maybe Aycock can make a fresh start with the younger students.  Nothing less than the program that is in place there right now should be tolerated though.  Parents will have to keep on top of this...

Why should our students have to be the "test subjects" for this experiment?  We are not willing to take that risk without a fight.

View Profile   IP Logged
86bamafan
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #54 - 05/09/10 at 10:00pm

Quote from hibousage on 05/08/10 at 9:32am:
Quote from 86bamafan on 05/07/10 at 11:10pm:

While the band is small, and had more dancers than musicians on the field, the assessment has nothing to do with the half time show.  I'm sure you can score well with a small band.  It gives an indication of how well the musicians have been taught, how much they practice.  

I apologize for the harshness and it isn't intended to be a criticism of the actual members of the band.   What Mr. Aycock has done with the band should have gotten him relieved of duty.

View Profile   IP Logged
smudgie

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #55 - 05/14/10 at 6:13am

The Birmingham News, Wednesday, May 5, 2010, Page 4H

Chief academic officer is new fine arts director

ByTIFFANY RAY
News staff writer

Ken Jarnagin will leave his post as chief academic officer of Hoover City Schools July 1 to take on a dual role as fine arts director for the school system and band director for Spain Park High School.

Fine arts director is a new district-level position in which Jarnagin will provide oversight of arts education at the elementary, middle and high school levels and serve as an advocate for arts teachers and programs, Jarnagin will be based at Spain Park.

Michael Aycock, Spain Parks' current band director, will transfer to Simmons Middle School as band director there.  And Brian Neugent, this year's band director at Simmons, will become an assistant band director for Berry Middle school and Spain Park High.  The assistant director position had been eliminated last year as part of the district's cost-cutting efforts, according to Mary Veal, human resources director for the school system.

When people think of Hoover City Schools, Veal said, "the first things that might pop into someone's mind are the athletic programs and how well-known and successful they've been." The arts programs, she said, are "almost like a hidden treasure."

A fine arts director will be able to address curriculum issues to ensure there is continuity from one grade level to the next and ensure students who want to pursue the arts beyond high school receive the support and direction they need, Veal said. "This person would assist in looking at the whole curriculum.

Jarnagin also will help develop an evaluation tool for fine arts instruction, Veal said.  Currently, there are at least 52 fine arts personnel districtwide, she said.

In his new role, Jarnagin said he will "come back to where I started."

A former band director at Bearden High School in Knoxvllle, Jarnagin said he initially set out to become a fine arts director, but "life took me in a different direction."

Jarnagin said he applied for the fine arts position" when it came open because "my heart has always been centered in the fine arts."

With his central office experience, Jarnagin said he can bring classroom experience to the job as well as a districtwide view of curriculum and instruction, and financial oversight.

Jarnagin was scheduled to meet with Aycock last week to begin planning the transition. He said this year's spring concert and awards banquet at Spain Park will continue as planned.

Veal said compensation details were still being worked out for the fine arts position.

Jarnigin's current salary as chief academic officer is $I32,000, she said. Superintendent Andy Craig said the salary for the fine arts position would probably fall in the $120,000 range.

Administrators said the fine arts director is a permanent position, but the additional role of band director may be temporary.

"Dr. Jarnagin will serve in that capacity until further notice," Veal said.

Craig said he most likely will fill the chief academic officer position, which was created in 2007.

E-MAIL tray@bhamnews.com

View Profile   IP Logged
HSCIN II

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #56 - 05/14/10 at 6:54am

Dr. Jarnagin's office was vacant when I passed by it yesterday at the Central Office.  His name is no longer on the door.

View Profile   IP Logged
amp920
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #57 - 05/14/10 at 10:47am

I'll bet he couldn't wait to get out of there.

View Profile   IP Logged
PurpleSocks
Hoover Forum Rookie

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #58 - 05/16/10 at 10:09pm

I am a Simmons parent with a young band student, and I keep hearing a tidal wave of "You DON'T want Mike Aycock to be your band director at Simmons"... but having been out of that loop, I have no clue whatsoever what the nature of the issues are with him.  Is it morals?  Bad teaching?  Personality?  Someone please give me something to go on so I can go into this with eyes open.  Mr. Neugent is unbelievably good, and sooo positive... we hated to see him go, but felt it might be a promotion for him.  Had no idea about Mr. Aycock until people started coming out of the woodwork telling us "watch out"... need some detail from anyone willing to share!  Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
hibousage

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #59 - 05/17/10 at 7:13am

I think 'watch' or ' keep an eye on things' may be better than 'watch out'.  While at SPHS the numbers in band went down drastically.  Hopefully over at Simmons, and with the middles school kids, things will be different.  It would be great for the parents to give him support, but keep an eye on things.  The worst thing that could happen would be for the adults involved to tell the students that he will be a bad band director and that they won't like him.  Then that will surely come true.

View Profile   IP Logged
bandsRus
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #60 - 05/17/10 at 12:24pm

Quote from hibousage on 05/17/10 at 7:13am:
I think 'watch' or ' keep an eye on things' may be better than 'watch out'.  While at SPHS the numbers in band went down drastically.  Hopefully over at Simmons, and with the middles school kids, things will be different.  It would be great for the parents to give him support, but keep an eye on things.  The worst thing that could happen would be for the adults involved to tell the students that he will be a bad band director and that they won't like him.  Then that will surely come true.

Good answer....and I think something that should also be considered...Mr. Aycock was there when the  SP band was formed and his work brought it up to 120+ before it began to decline.  I am sure that he will work diligently to continue the work of Mr. Neugent.

"Carpe Diem"
View Profile   IP Logged
CrystalClear
Hoover Forum Freshman

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #61 - 05/17/10 at 6:48pm

Simmons band parents and students were invited to a "meet and greet" this past Sunday in order to "meet" Mr. Aycock.  
Ken Jarnigan, Mr. Fitzpatrick, Mr. Cain and Harry McAffey were there to show their support of Mr. Aycock.  It seemed very much like a "show" and it didn't make the parents I spoke with any more confident this is a good move for our kids.  It is clear the board made this decision and everyone else has to "go along" because he has tenure and they don't want to fool with AEA.  Perhaps the SP band had 120 students at one time, BUT NOW there are around 50.  Something clearly happened to cause the demise and if it wasn't him, then why are they moving him?  
Simmons has 3 times the students he has been working with.  He's not used to that much work.  We were told that Mr. Mc Affey is going to adjunct and help with Simmons.  
It seemed as though they were trying too hard to make us comfortable with the "shaft" when clearly Mr. Aycock is getting a"gold mine".  
Now where is the best interest of the students considered in this decision?  It is "clearly" again, what is best for adults at the board to keep them out of a lawsuit.  Who gave this guy tenure anyway? How can we find that out?  Dr. J ,Mr. F , Mr. Mc. are super and Mr. Cain is a very good principal.   Our kids will survive, but they deserve MUCH better.  I hope he gets another job before this experiment begins and I would hope the board has sense enough to include a parent representative in the hiring process. The high school had over 50 applicants.  We should have more of a choice.  If the board is so convinced of Mr. Aycock's greatness, why did we not see any of them at the "meet and greet"?
Oh, I forgot. We are on the wrong side of the tracks.

View Profile   IP Logged
hibousage

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #62 - 05/17/10 at 8:43pm

Maybe with the support of Mr. Cain, and the parents at Simmons, who, can be very different than those at SP, it will be a good fit.  What band directors expect out of middle school students is much different than what is expected out of students at the HS level.  I really would welcome him, help out in the program what you can, and keep an eye on everything.  Don't start the kids off expecting bad things.  You could be pleasantly surprised.  If not, then do something...

And by the way, the students who were at Simmons before Mr. Neugent hated it when he got there.  He made them fill out practice logs and everything!  But things did work out...

View Profile   IP Logged
kidsarefun
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #63 - 05/17/10 at 10:07pm

Quote from CrystalClear on 05/17/10 at 6:48pm:

Who gave this guy tenure anyway? How can we find that out?

Mr. Broadway would have been the one to recommend Mr. Aycock for tenure.

Does anyone know if Mr. Aycock's salary will be reduced from his SPHS salary?

View Profile   IP Logged
HSCIN II

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #64 - 05/18/10 at 6:43am

Mr. Aycock's salary will be that of a Middle School Band Director.

View Profile   IP Logged
indianchief2
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #65 - 05/18/10 at 7:51am

Check out Aycock's history.  He was a Birmingham City Schools employee before he went to Georgia for a few years and then was "discovered" to start the band program at Spain Park.  There was a reason he left Birmingham in the first place.  Another fine example of the "good old boy" network in place allowing "boys to be boys" before Alabama passed the laws requiring background checks.

View Profile   IP Logged
bandsRus
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #66 - 05/18/10 at 2:50pm

Quote from indianchief2 on 05/18/10 at 7:51am:
Check out Aycock's history.  He was a Birmingham City Schools employee before he went to Georgia for a few years and then was "discovered" to start the band program at Spain Park.  There was a reason he left Birmingham in the first place.  Another fine example of the "good old boy" network in place allowing "boys to be boys" before Alabama passed the laws requiring background checks.

Check out your facts....Mr. Aycock taught at Huffman, Samford University, and Erwin....never in Georgia.  Another "fine example" of keyboard slander based on total fabrication while hiding behind a screen name.

"Carpe Diem"
View Profile   IP Logged
Hoovergal
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #67 - 05/18/10 at 3:45pm

The post said he went to Georgia, not that he taught in Georgia.

View Profile   IP Logged
Hoovergal
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #68 - 05/18/10 at 3:49pm

Parents have a right to be concerned about the situation with the Band at Simmons.  There's a history at Spain Park with the band and it's not a pretty picture.  Every parent wants the best for their child and Simmons has not gotten the best.

View Profile   IP Logged
bandsRus
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #69 - 05/18/10 at 4:10pm

Quote from Hoovergal on 05/18/10 at 3:45pm:
The post said he went to Georgia, not that he taught in Georgia.  

Okay....Mr. Aycock never taught or "went" to Georgia for a few years.  Parents have a right to be concerned about their children in any matter.  But folks should also have some responsibility to speak the truth and that post is just completely WRONG.

"Carpe Diem"
View Profile   IP Logged
CrystalClear
Hoover Forum Freshman

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #70 - 05/18/10 at 7:08pm

Mr. Aycock gave the parents an obviously rehearsed rundown of his experience on Sunday.  It was all over the place and SP was barely mentioned which is definitely cause for concern.  I don't particularly remember anything about Georgia but really, I don't think anyone is trying to purposefully put out misinformation.  We got a lot of how he made Gresham's band successful and how he was adjunct at Samford University and was a professional trombone player.  His partial history is posted on an obscure SP band website you have to search for very carefully to find anything.  Every section is "under construction" except his history and picture.  NOTHING is on the actual SP website except contact information.  

Thanks for finding out who gave him tenure.  I thought that was the case.  I think Mr. Broadway was too busy buying Monte Blanc pens and getting stuff framed to actually do his job. That explains a lot.

View Profile   IP Logged
CrystalClear
Hoover Forum Freshman

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #71 - 05/18/10 at 9:38pm

Quote from hibousage on 05/17/10 at 8:43pm:
Maybe with the support of Mr. Cain, and the parents at Simmons, who, can be very different than those at SP, it will be a good fit.  What band directors expect out of middle school students is much different than what is expected out of students at the HS level.  I really would welcome him, help out in the program what you can, and keep an eye on everything.  Don't start the kids off expecting bad things.  You could be pleasantly surprised.  If not, then do something...

And by the way, the students who were at Simmons before Mr. Neugent hated it when he got there.  He made them fill out practice logs and everything!  But things did work out...

The 7th and 8th grade students didn't like him BECAUSE he tried to teach instead of allowing them to watch movies for an easy "A" as the previous director allowed.  The 6th graders loved him and are now seniors.  They sent pictures to him of his first beginning band group since he is leaving.  Most kids I know can spot a winner or loser when they see one.  We are protecting our kids as best we can, and are praying for the best.

View Profile   IP Logged
hibousage

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #72 - 05/18/10 at 10:19pm

Quote from CrystalClear on 05/18/10 at 9:38pm:

The 7th and 8th grade students didn't like him BECAUSE he tried to teach instead of allowing them to watch movies for an easy "A" as the previous director allowed.  The 6th graders loved him and are now seniors.  They sent pictures to him of his first beginning band group since he is leaving.  Most kids I know can spot a winner or loser when they see one.  We are protecting our kids as best we can, and are praying for the best.

I know all about that.  That's exactly what I was saying.  Thanks for making my point. The kids who were already there couldn't 'spot the winner' at first, but eventually they figured it out.  Parents kept their eyes open, even though the new guy was 'so mean', they gave him time and saw that he was doing a good job.

View Profile   IP Logged
86bamafan
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #73 - 05/18/10 at 11:13pm

Maybe with the support of Mr. Cain, and the parents at Simmons, who, can be very different than those at SP, it will be a good fit.

That was a nice little slap.  Thanks for that.

View Profile   IP Logged
PurpleSocks
Hoover Forum Rookie

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #74 - 05/19/10 at 6:05am

Hi Everyone, I have read through this whole thread, and I feel like it's coded in clues... would someone please categorize the nature of the concerns about Mr. Aycock?   It is a huge difference whether the concerns are about his teaching ability, his personality, his ability to inspire the kids, his morals, all of the above.  One of the above posts alluded to how things might be different had background checks been required years ago.... that is a worrisome comment for us Simmons parents, all on its own.  I have ZERO knowledge of what Mr. Aycock's situation was at SPHS, but I have had trustworthy people from all over Hoover warn me that we won't be happy.  My child enjoyed band enormously this (6th grade) year under Mr. Neugent... he is excited about continuing, and I am thrilled that he wants to, but his commitment to band is tenuous at this age.  It would be EASY to derail him in 7th grade.  So, I am worried, but don't know what I'm worried about.   undecided  Someone please elaborate -- not looking for slander here, just an overview of what the concerns are.  THANKS!

View Profile   IP Logged
bandsRus
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #75 - 05/19/10 at 6:32am

Quote from PurpleSocks on 05/19/10 at 6:05am:
Hi Everyone, I have read through this whole thread, and I feel like it's coded in clues... would someone please categorize the nature of the concerns about Mr. Aycock?   It is a huge difference whether the concerns are about his teaching ability, his personality, his ability to inspire the kids, his morals, all of the above.  One of the above posts alluded to how things might be different had background checks been required years ago.... that is a worrisome comment for us Simmons parents, all on its own.  I have ZERO knowledge of what Mr. Aycock's situation was at SPHS, but I have had trustworthy people from all over Hoover warn me that we won't be happy.  My child enjoyed band enormously this (6th grade) year under Mr. Neugent... he is excited about continuing, and I am thrilled that he wants to, but his commitment to band is tenuous at this age.  It would be EASY to derail him in 7th grade.  So, I am worried, but don't know what I'm worried about.   undecided  Someone please elaborate -- not looking for slander here, just an overview of what the concerns are.  THANKS!

I hope I can ease your worry about a few things.  Mr. Aycock is a highly ethical and moral man, a devoted husband and father, and deacon and leader in his church.  Fingerprinting and background checks were required by Hoover City Schools when he was hired.   I think he will work very hard to earn everyone's respect.  Please encourage your child to continue band and you should stay involved as a parent.  Band offers tremendous opportunities and I think you will be happy with the end results.

"Carpe Diem"
View Profile   IP Logged
googling

Proud Parent of a US
Army Infantry
Soldier

Reply #76 - 05/19/10 at 8:13am

Quote from bandsRus on 05/19/10 at 6:32am:
Quote from PurpleSocks on 05/19/10 at 6:05am:

I hope I can ease your worry about a few things.  Mr. Aycock is a highly ethical and moral man, a devoted husband and father, and deacon and leader in his church.  Fingerprinting and background checks were required by Hoover City Schools when he was hired.   I think he will work very hard to earn everyone's respect.  Please encourage your child to continue band and you should stay involved as a parent.  Band offers tremendous opportunities and I think you will be happy with the end results.

I'm not a band parent, but I am a Simmons parent, and I know plenty of band parents, both at SMS and at HHS.  They're a dedicated group, probably more dedicated than any other group, including football parents.

Having read through this thread it seems that those of you at SMS are forgetting one minor detail, which actually is a huge detail:  Mr. Cain.

I've known Mr. Cain for several years, and I know that he cares almost as much about our children as we do.  I can say without a shadow of a doubt that there is not a better administrator in the system than Mr. Cain and I'm sorry that he will not be there as my child moves to HHS.  With this in mind, I want to ask those of you who are concerned one question:

Do you really believe that Mr. Cain is going to allow a program such as band at SMS to falter?

Mr. Cain demands only one thing from both his students and his faculty:  Excellence.  Reach for the stars.  "Second rate" is not in his vocabulary.

I don't know Mr. Aycock and I don't know Mr. Neugent.  But I do know Mr. Cain and he's going to expect the same type of work ethic and results out of Mr. Aycock as he did from Mr. Neugent.    

Nobody likes change, especially when there is an unknown change happening and when the current program is so successful.  But there is one thing that is not changing at SMS.  The person in charge.

View Profile   IP Logged
hibousage

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #77 - 05/19/10 at 8:38am

Quote from 86bamafan on 05/18/10 at 11:13pm:
Maybe with the support of Mr. Cain, and the parents at Simmons, who, can be very different than those at SP, it will be a good fit.

You don't think working under Mr. Cain instead of BB will be different?  You don't think working with parents at Simmons will be different than working with SPHS parents?  Each school has it's own personality, and it can't help but be different.  Even working with the parents at HHS would be different than Simmons...I was talking about finding a good fit.  Didn't really mean for you to have to feel the need to duck.

View Profile   IP Logged
86bamafan
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #78 - 05/19/10 at 8:32pm

Quote from hibousage on 05/19/10 at 8:38am:
Quote from 86bamafan on 05/18/10 at 11:13pm:

You don't think working under Mr. Cain instead of BB will be different?  You don't think working with parents at Simmons will be different than working with SPHS parents?  Each school has it's own personality, and it can't help but be different.  Even working with the parents at HHS would be different than Simmons...I was talking about finding a good fit.  Didn't really mean for you to have to feel the need to duck.

If I took it wrong, I apologize.  Just seemed to be a generalization intended cast all SPHS parents in a bad light.

I hope Mr. Aycock gets an opportunity to reverse the Peter Principle and the move back to middle school is an environment in which he can flourish.

View Profile   IP Logged
CrystalClear
Hoover Forum Freshman

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #79 - 06/13/10 at 12:31am

Parents of Simmons Band received an email last Thursday from Mr. Cain that Mr. Aycock has accepted a position in another system and his position is now posted.  With the number of teachers vs. number of jobs, I'm sure there should be many applicants.  Mr. Cain will form a hiring committee of parents, teachers, and Dr. Jarnigan.  I commend Mr. Cain for including parents in this decision.  Many parents were praying for this situation and will continue to pray that the excellent band program will have an excellent leader.  The students deserve it.

View Profile   IP Logged
ConcernedParent
Hoover Forum Rookie

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #80 - 04/04/11 at 12:10am

I am a band parent at the school where Aycock is now and I can't help but have concerns after reading this. The students constantly complain that he is changing everything within the program and something about him creeps me out. Does anyone know why he was let go from Spain Park? Thanks in advance!

View Profile   IP Logged
ConcernedParent
Hoover Forum Rookie

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #81 - 04/04/11 at 6:44am

Quote from monte on 05/08/10 at 2:01pm:

I am a band parent at the school where Aycock is now and I can't help but have concerns after reading this. The students constantly complain that he is changing everything within the program and something about him creeps me out. Does anyone know why he was let go from Spain Park? Thanks in advance!

View Profile   IP Logged
Hoovergal
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #82 - 04/04/11 at 8:57pm

He also crippled the band program at SPHS.

View Profile   IP Logged
ConcernedParent
Hoover Forum Rookie

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #83 - 04/04/11 at 9:08pm

Quote from Hoovergal on 04/04/11 at 8:57pm:
He also crippled the band program at SPHS.  

What all did he do at SPHS??  

View Profile   IP Logged
Hoovergal
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #84 - 04/04/11 at 10:36pm

The band students did not like him or his program.  The number of band students participating in SPHS's Band dropped each year he was there.  The last year he was at SPHS, there were less than 100 students in the band.  It was sad to watch.  While he was there, SPHS's Band received poor ratings at State Assessments.
I am sorry.  I hope this does not happen to your band program.  Our school system let things at SPHS go on for too long before they finally stepped in.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print