Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
THE Hoover Forum
05/17/24 at 11:15am
News: Welcome to THE Hoover Forum - Check here for the forum rules.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Fine Arts Director? (Read 30863 times)
doll45
Hoover Forum Freshman

THE Hoover Forum

Re: Fine Arts Director?
Reply #20 - 04/26/10 at 12:22pm

absolute waste of money....I agree that this position was created for Jarnigan...he already has a position, why are we changing it unless it comes with a pay cut, which I seriously doubt.....too much fluff in these tough times, fine arts director, district chef, friday rundown man and that's just a start....it is all ridiculous!

View Profile   IP Logged
ProudBerryMom
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #21 - 04/28/10 at 2:53pm

It is interesting that the tax extension vote and the post for the Fine Arts Director coincide.  I do not see the situation as doom and gloom like the rest of you.  I believe that someone will get this position as a reward.  Read the post again.  Talking about responsibility!  I am anxious to see how soon Hoover will break ground on the new Fine Arts Complex.

View Profile   IP Logged
ProudBerryMom
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #22 - 04/28/10 at 3:37pm

Okay, so let's play connect the dots.

1.  Tax extension vote which allows Hoover City Schools to.....refinance.....why (?)
2.  Post for a new Fine Arts Director (which sounds surprisingly like the job description posted at the Alabama School of Fine Arts a couple of years ago when Ms. Lundstrom returned to Sweden).
3.  Suzy Baker rolls off the HCS school board and immediately becomes a member of the Alabama School of Fine Arts Board of Directors.  I am sure she has learned so much about ASFA's budget woes and how the school has secured funding in the past.
4.  Andy Craig's comments about compartmentalizing schools and the goal of building a Fine Arts Complex on Valleydale Road.

Anyone want to play?  Anyone?

*waiting patiently*

View Profile   IP Logged
googling
Hoover Forum All-Star Member

Proud Parent of a US
Army Infantry
Soldier

Reply #23 - 04/29/10 at 10:36am

View Profile   IP Logged
hoover1990

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #24 - 04/29/10 at 3:43pm

Anyone know what the salary is for the new Fine Arts Director?

It is interesting that we have enough money for this position, but the school system has cut funding for new band instruments over the last two years down to zero.

Also in the last two years, positions of assistant band directors (people actually in the classroom teaching kids) have been eliminated at Spain Park, Bumpus and Simmons.

I'm sure choir and visual arts programs are taking similar hits, I just happen to know about the ones in the band programs.

View Profile   IP Logged
ProudBerryMom
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #25 - 04/29/10 at 4:11pm

Quote from hoover1990 on 04/29/10 at 3:43pm:
Anyone know what the salary is for the new Fine Arts Director?

It is interesting that we have enough money for this position, but the school system has cut funding for new band instruments over the last two years down to zero.

Also in the last two years, positions of assistant band directors (people actually in the classroom teaching kids) have been eliminated at Spain Park, Bumpus and Simmons.

I'm sure choir and visual arts programs are taking similar hits, I just happen to know about the ones in the band programs.

And yet each high school has 22 assistant football coaches?  Do they?  Still?  Will they be cut so no more fine arts positions will be cut?
Does this bother anyone else?

View Profile   IP Logged
indianchief2
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #26 - 04/29/10 at 4:41pm

Looks like the salary for the new fine arts director will be whatever Jarnagan is making now.  And band director as well?  That will be a busy job for him.

Bloom where you are planted.
View Profile   IP Logged
Hoovergal
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #27 - 04/30/10 at 6:37am

Cut backs here, cut backs there, rumors of more to come.   Anyone heard of any in Central Office?  Any?  Any chance Central Offfice salaries will be frozen for a year?  Just to show the "belt tightening" goes all the way around?

View Profile   IP Logged
BucStopsHere

Luke 12:2-3

Reply #28 - 04/30/10 at 9:01am

Quote from Hoovergal on 04/30/10 at 6:37am:
Cut backs here, cut backs there, rumors of more to come.   Anyone heard of any in Central Office?  Any?  Any chance Central Offfice salaries will be frozen for a year?  Just to show the "belt tightening" goes all the way around?

Andy just made $6M/yr for himself (less the cost of the late postcards). Why should he cut back on things that matter to him?

Central Office

Everywhere Else

View Profile   IP Logged
indianchief2
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #29 - 04/30/10 at 9:06am

Don't kid yourself.  

The cuts will be at the school level - and the justification will be that the schools are where the majority of the money is spent.  That part may be factual, but the reality is that the excess is spent in central office and in those other "supportive" areas like maintenance, transportation, etc.  Those won't be cut.

Bloom where you are planted.
View Profile   IP Logged
ProudBerryMom
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #30 - 04/30/10 at 10:16am

Quote from BucStopsHere on 04/30/10 at 9:01am:
Quote from Hoovergal on 04/30/10 at 6:37am:

Andy just made $6M/yr for himself (less the cost of the late postcards). Why should he cut back on things that matter to him?

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:Q36lDm2zOJGyUM:csmoody.files.wordpress.com/20 09/01/raining-money.jpg Central Office

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:B_Ov96G9pPysRM:1.bp.blogspot.com/_XEkMyN00EB4 /SsvlOrQhXzI/AAAAAAAACHo/bLy_0nvDABI/s400/tighten-belt.jpg Everywhere Else

LMAO!!! Grin  BUt it really isn't funny, is it, because education is supposed to be about the children, not about the adults lining thier pockets. Angry

View Profile   IP Logged
hibousage

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #31 - 05/01/10 at 10:36pm

SPHS/Berry 2, SMS 0

I hope I'm wrong....I'd love to be...

Each morning, take time to imagine the person you want to be.
View Profile   IP Logged
Hoovergal
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #32 - 05/02/10 at 12:10am

I hope you are wrong too....but I think you are right.  

It's like Baker is back on the Board.

View Profile   IP Logged
ProudBerryMom
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #33 - 05/03/10 at 9:23am

Quote from Hoovergal on 05/02/10 at 12:10am:
I hope you are wrong too....but I think you are right.  

It's like Baker is back on the Board.

Oh, no...Baker is on the Board of Directors at the Alabama School of Fine Arts!!! Shocked

What I can't understand is *why*

View Profile   IP Logged
Hoovergal
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #34 - 05/03/10 at 9:47am

Ken Jarnagin, Director of Fine Arts and takes over a failing Band Program at Spain Park High School.

Chris Neugent, Director of a successful Band Program at Simmons Middle School, takes a job as Assistant Director at Berry Middle School and Spain Park High School.

Mike Aycock, Director of the failing Band Program at Spain Park High School, moved to the Director's position at Simmons Middle School, which feeds into the successful program at Hoover High School.

View Profile   IP Logged
ProudBerryMom
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #35 - 05/03/10 at 2:55pm

Quote from Hoovergal on 05/03/10 at 9:47am:
Ken Jarnagin, Director of Fine Arts and takes over a failing Band Program at Spain Park High School.

Chris Neugent, Director of a successful Band Program at Simmons Middle School, takes a job as Assistant Director at Berry Middle School and Spain Park High School.

Mike Aycock, Director of the failing Band Program at Spain Park High School, moved to the Director's position at Simmons Middle School, which feeds into the successful program at Hoover High School.

I do not have a child @ SPHS yet, so I was wondering why the band program has been failing.  My child will not be a part of the band program, anyway....I'm just curious.

View Profile   IP Logged
hibousage

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #36 - 05/03/10 at 11:25pm

Quote from Hoovergal on 05/03/10 at 9:47am:

I truly would have loved to hear the rationale behind all this....

Each morning, take time to imagine the person you want to be.
View Profile   IP Logged
Hoovergal
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #37 - 05/04/10 at 1:29pm

There are many rumors about the problems with the Spain Park Band and most of them go back to Mike Aycock.  The students at Spain Park who are interested in instrumental music deserve better and they have it now.  Jarnagin and Neugent will do a great job and the program should grow.

The young students at Simmons also deserve the best and they did not get it.  Why was Spain Park's problem moved to Simmons?  Why did Craig make this decision and why did the Board agree to it?

View Profile   IP Logged
amp920
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #38 - 05/04/10 at 4:10pm

I've never heard of AC providing any defensible reason for any decision he's made.

View Profile   IP Logged
Hoovergal
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #39 - 05/04/10 at 5:16pm

Well, this one is bad.  It looks like they are doing all they can for the SPHS band program and letting the Simmons band program twist in the wind.  Parents at Simmons are questioning if it is a deliberate effort to hurt the program.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print