Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
THE Hoover Forum
05/17/24 at 10:31am
News: Welcome to THE Hoover Forum - Check here for the forum rules.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Fine Arts Director? (Read 30862 times)
ProudBerryMom
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Re: Fine Arts Director?
Reply #40 - 05/04/10 at 5:53pm

Quote from ProudBerryMom on 04/22/10 at 7:15am:
Andy Craig has wanted to compartmentalize the high schools for years.  He wants the math/science, IB, and technology school at HHS, and the fine arts at SPHS.  He does not want to have the schools zoned, and feels that the students should attend the schools based on the programs offered.  I do not think this will work, and I told him so after an HPTC meeting several years ago because teens want to attend school with their friends from their neighborhoods.

But, like an accountant, he is looking at saving money by not duplicating programs at the high schools.

Since Suzy Baker is now serving on the Board of Directors at the Alabama School of Fine Arts, I am sure she will be a great resource for such an endeavor.  

View Profile   IP Logged
hibousage
Hoover Forum All-Star Member

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #41 - 05/04/10 at 6:04pm

He ought to look at the band rosters, and see all the AP and IB students.  They go together....

Each morning, take time to imagine the person you want to be.
View Profile   IP Logged
CrystalClear
Hoover Forum Freshman

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #42 - 05/05/10 at 9:31pm

Simmons parents are more than upset.  Those students just came back from a competition in Georgia which included bands from all over the Southeast.  Those students won EVERYTHING!  They were #1 7th grade band #1 8th grade band and #1 Jazz Band.  The flutist from the Jazz band received the ONLY solo award given.  All the bands received the highest honor.  They were judged on character even when they were not performing.  Yes those kids won over all bands and ensembles that participated.  This is due to Chris Neugent's excellent leadership.  He has a true gift.  It seems that Simmons is getting a band director that has allowed the Spain Park program to dwindle to nothing.  Anything I have heard and seen about the Spain Park band  has not been positive which is very sad for the students. If anyone has information about the band director or band at Spain Park please share so that parents can have as much information and help our students.

View Profile   IP Logged
86bamafan
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #43 - 05/05/10 at 10:22pm

I can't believe they didn't just let Aycock go.  He has driven the SPHS band into the ground.

Neither of my kids were in the band.  I just know the stories they told about how the kids couldn't stand Aycock.

His Pearl Harbor theme this past year was embarrasing.

View Profile   IP Logged
hibousage

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #44 - 05/05/10 at 10:34pm

I'm sure tenure is involved...

I hope the Simmons parents keep the lines of communication open with Mr. Cain about how the band programs goes next year.  Maybe Aycock can make a fresh start with the younger students.  Nothing less than the program that is in place there right now should be tolerated though.  Parents will have to keep on top of this...

View Profile   IP Logged
ProudBerryMom
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #45 - 05/06/10 at 5:55am

Quote from CrystalClear on 05/05/10 at 9:31pm:
Simmons parents are more than upset.  Those students just came back from a competition in Georgia which included bands from all over the Southeast.  Those students won EVERYTHING!  They were #1 7th grade band #1 8th grade band and #1 Jazz Band.  The flutist from the Jazz band received the ONLY solo award given.  All the bands received the highest honor.  They were judged on character even when they were not performing.  Yes those kids won over all bands and ensembles that participated.  This is due to Chris Neugent's excellent leadership.  He has a true gift.  It seems that Simmons is getting a band director that has allowed the Spain Park program to dwindle to nothing.  Anything I have heard and seen about the Spain Park band  has not been positive which is very sad for the students. If anyone has information about the band director or band at Spain Park please share so that parents can have as much information and help our students.

Wow!  That is awesome!  Congrats to SMS bands!!!

View Profile   IP Logged
Hoovergal
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #46 - 05/06/10 at 3:04pm

Simmons parents should set up a meeting with Dr. Jarnagin, Director of Fine Arts, as soon as possible and express their concerns.

How did the Spain Park High School Band do at District/State Assessment?

View Profile   IP Logged
86bamafan
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #47 - 05/07/10 at 11:10pm

Quote from Hoovergal on 05/06/10 at 3:04pm:

The band is so small, they probably couldn't see them on the field.

View Profile   IP Logged
hibousage

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #48 - 05/08/10 at 9:32am

Quote from 86bamafan on 05/07/10 at 11:10pm:

While the band is small, and had more dancers than musicians on the field, the assessment has nothing to do with the half time show.  I'm sure you can score well with a small band.  It gives an indication of how well the musicians have been taught, how much they practice.

View Profile   IP Logged
monte
Hoover Forum Freshman

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #49 - 05/08/10 at 2:01pm

Mike Aycock has caused deep divisions within the arts department during his years there. He is critical of his colleagues and has a history of going to whatever top authority there is without regard for protocol or courtesy. During his first year, he was even vocally disdainful of school board members when he learned it was to his advantage to do so.

View Profile   IP Logged
CrystalClear
Hoover Forum Freshman

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #50 - 05/08/10 at 3:24pm

Quote from ProudBerryMom on 05/06/10 at 5:55am:
Quote from CrystalClear on 05/05/10 at 9:31pm:

Wow!  That is awesome!  Congrats to SMS bands!!!

Thanks for the Congrats to our kids.  Berry & SP will have a jewel with Chris Neugent.  He is the magic behind the talented students.

View Profile   IP Logged
CrystalClear
Hoover Forum Freshman

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #51 - 05/08/10 at 3:36pm

Quote from monte on 05/08/10 at 2:01pm:
Mike Aycock has caused deep divisions within the arts department during his years there. He is critical of his colleagues and has a history of going to whatever top authority there is without regard for protocol or courtesy. During his first year, he was even vocally disdainful of school board members when he learned it was to his advantage to do so.

The Simmons band parents just received an email last week from Brain Cain asking us to "trust his judgement".  I have done just that up until this decision.  After looking at vidoes from SP dating from 06 until now, it is obvious the program has suffered greatly.  The evidence is there in plain view for anyone to see.  If anyone on this forum has suggestions for our parents, please let me know via this forum, or send me a private message.  Yes, small bands can do very well, but there is clearly no reason for a band that was a decent sized in 07 and sounded very good to dwindle to a few.  Was this job even posted?  I thought jobs had to be posted for a certain period of time before interviews began.  Also, parent representatives were involved in the SP principal decision and if I'm not mistaken the HH band director decision.  How is this any different?  That alone makes anyone involved including central office and board members lose the trust of parents and question why Mr. Aycock was handed a highly successful program after the one he is leaving is suffering.

View Profile   IP Logged
CrystalClear
Hoover Forum Freshman

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #52 - 05/08/10 at 3:38pm

Simmons parents should set up a meeting with Dr. Jarnagin, Director of Fine Arts, as soon as possible and express their concerns.

Dr. Jarnagin told us to go through Mr. Cain first.  

View Profile   IP Logged
CrystalClear
Hoover Forum Freshman

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #53 - 05/08/10 at 3:40pm

Quote from hibousage on 05/05/10 at 10:34pm:
I'm sure tenure is involved...

I hope the Simmons parents keep the lines of communication open with Mr. Cain about how the band programs goes next year.  Maybe Aycock can make a fresh start with the younger students.  Nothing less than the program that is in place there right now should be tolerated though.  Parents will have to keep on top of this...

Why should our students have to be the "test subjects" for this experiment?  We are not willing to take that risk without a fight.

View Profile   IP Logged
86bamafan
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #54 - 05/09/10 at 10:00pm

Quote from hibousage on 05/08/10 at 9:32am:
Quote from 86bamafan on 05/07/10 at 11:10pm:

While the band is small, and had more dancers than musicians on the field, the assessment has nothing to do with the half time show.  I'm sure you can score well with a small band.  It gives an indication of how well the musicians have been taught, how much they practice.  

I apologize for the harshness and it isn't intended to be a criticism of the actual members of the band.   What Mr. Aycock has done with the band should have gotten him relieved of duty.

View Profile   IP Logged
smudgie

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #55 - 05/14/10 at 6:13am

The Birmingham News, Wednesday, May 5, 2010, Page 4H

Chief academic officer is new fine arts director

ByTIFFANY RAY
News staff writer

Ken Jarnagin will leave his post as chief academic officer of Hoover City Schools July 1 to take on a dual role as fine arts director for the school system and band director for Spain Park High School.

Fine arts director is a new district-level position in which Jarnagin will provide oversight of arts education at the elementary, middle and high school levels and serve as an advocate for arts teachers and programs, Jarnagin will be based at Spain Park.

Michael Aycock, Spain Parks' current band director, will transfer to Simmons Middle School as band director there.  And Brian Neugent, this year's band director at Simmons, will become an assistant band director for Berry Middle school and Spain Park High.  The assistant director position had been eliminated last year as part of the district's cost-cutting efforts, according to Mary Veal, human resources director for the school system.

When people think of Hoover City Schools, Veal said, "the first things that might pop into someone's mind are the athletic programs and how well-known and successful they've been." The arts programs, she said, are "almost like a hidden treasure."

A fine arts director will be able to address curriculum issues to ensure there is continuity from one grade level to the next and ensure students who want to pursue the arts beyond high school receive the support and direction they need, Veal said. "This person would assist in looking at the whole curriculum.

Jarnagin also will help develop an evaluation tool for fine arts instruction, Veal said.  Currently, there are at least 52 fine arts personnel districtwide, she said.

In his new role, Jarnagin said he will "come back to where I started."

A former band director at Bearden High School in Knoxvllle, Jarnagin said he initially set out to become a fine arts director, but "life took me in a different direction."

Jarnagin said he applied for the fine arts position" when it came open because "my heart has always been centered in the fine arts."

With his central office experience, Jarnagin said he can bring classroom experience to the job as well as a districtwide view of curriculum and instruction, and financial oversight.

Jarnagin was scheduled to meet with Aycock last week to begin planning the transition. He said this year's spring concert and awards banquet at Spain Park will continue as planned.

Veal said compensation details were still being worked out for the fine arts position.

Jarnigin's current salary as chief academic officer is $I32,000, she said. Superintendent Andy Craig said the salary for the fine arts position would probably fall in the $120,000 range.

Administrators said the fine arts director is a permanent position, but the additional role of band director may be temporary.

"Dr. Jarnagin will serve in that capacity until further notice," Veal said.

Craig said he most likely will fill the chief academic officer position, which was created in 2007.

E-MAIL tray@bhamnews.com

View Profile   IP Logged
HSCIN II

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #56 - 05/14/10 at 6:54am

Dr. Jarnagin's office was vacant when I passed by it yesterday at the Central Office.  His name is no longer on the door.

View Profile   IP Logged
amp920
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #57 - 05/14/10 at 10:47am

I'll bet he couldn't wait to get out of there.

View Profile   IP Logged
PurpleSocks
Hoover Forum Rookie

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #58 - 05/16/10 at 10:09pm

I am a Simmons parent with a young band student, and I keep hearing a tidal wave of "You DON'T want Mike Aycock to be your band director at Simmons"... but having been out of that loop, I have no clue whatsoever what the nature of the issues are with him.  Is it morals?  Bad teaching?  Personality?  Someone please give me something to go on so I can go into this with eyes open.  Mr. Neugent is unbelievably good, and sooo positive... we hated to see him go, but felt it might be a promotion for him.  Had no idea about Mr. Aycock until people started coming out of the woodwork telling us "watch out"... need some detail from anyone willing to share!  Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
hibousage

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #59 - 05/17/10 at 7:13am

I think 'watch' or ' keep an eye on things' may be better than 'watch out'.  While at SPHS the numbers in band went down drastically.  Hopefully over at Simmons, and with the middles school kids, things will be different.  It would be great for the parents to give him support, but keep an eye on things.  The worst thing that could happen would be for the adults involved to tell the students that he will be a bad band director and that they won't like him.  Then that will surely come true.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print