Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
THE Hoover Forum
05/17/24 at 1:58pm
News: Welcome to THE Hoover Forum - Check here for the forum rules.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
HHS and FC (Read 1398 times)
sasha
Hoover Forum Rookie

THE Hoover Forum

HHS and FC
04/02/11 at 12:32am

Can anyone give insight into the upcoming school year changes going on at both HHS and FC?  Specifically, will there be administrative changes at the FC since it will now be a 7th and 8th grade school?  Also, will the students being affected by the new changes be given the opportunity to tour both the FC and the HHS?

View Profile   IP Logged
googling
Hoover Forum All-Star Member

Proud Parent of a US
Army Infantry
Soldier

Re: HHS and FC
Reply #1 - 04/02/11 at 7:42am

Quote from sasha on 04/02/11 at 12:32am:
Can anyone give insight into the upcoming school year changes going on at both HHS and FC?  Specifically, will there be administrative changes at the FC since it will now be a 7th and 8th grade school?  Also, will the students being affected by the new changes be given the opportunity to tour both the FC and the HHS?  

At the last meeting, the only discussion about the changes were what the names of the new facilities would be.  Since the Freshman Center didn't really have a name, except for Hoover High School Freshman Center, it will most likely be called Bumpus something .  Since it will be 7th and 8th graders, it should be a junior high school and not a middle school, but it sounded like they were going with just a direct transfer of the name (middle school).  The next item was what the intermediate school (current Bumpus) would be called.  No suggestions came up on that.  

The "Old Berry" needed a name also.  I thought to myself that naming it after Bob Finley would be appropriate.  

Finally, in the naming situation, current Crossroads would need to be renamed.

As far as the touring of the facilities, since the incoming 9th graders already toured the FC, they should be touring the SC, as that is were they will be landing.  Parents of incoming FC should ask their current principals about that so they can arrange it.

No discussion took place on who would be principal at the new IS, and no discussion took place on what would happen with the current administration at the FC.

These are all very valid questions that should be asked at the next Board meeting during public participation by those parents who are affected, unless the Board puts out a statement outlining these changes.  If they do, I'm sure we'll get phone calls from Mr. Gasten on all of our lines, plus e-mails (sorry, Jason, but there's information and then there's information overload - that summer school message the other day falls under the latter - yet I still don't have what I asked for regarding the community school...).

The overall plan is very good.  Now come the details in the plan that need to be worked out.  I think that we need to let the administration work those out, which is not to say that we are not entitled to ask questions along the way.  The next Board meeting will be on Monday, April 11 at 5:30 pm (all meetings for this school year are listed at the bottom of the HooverInvocation.org web page).  I imagine the new Board member who will be appointed on April 4 by the council will be present in the audience at the 4/11 meeting, whoever that may be...although it will be a first for either candidate, since neither of them have attended a meeting in the past.

You raise some valid questions, sasha, both in your PM and in this post, that deserve answers.  I encourage you to go to the next meeting and ask those questions of the Board.  

View Profile   IP Logged
sasha
Hoover Forum Rookie

THE Hoover Forum

Re: HHS and FC
Reply #2 - 04/02/11 at 9:37am

Thank you, googling, for taking the time this morning to reply.  I had read the information from the prior board meetings, and I appreciate your recap.  You are right, my best bet is to attend the next board meeting and find out for myself the answers to the questions I have.  I am comfortable with the changes taking place and how they will affect my children, I would be more comfortable (maybe even excited) if I knew what administration is going to be in place at the 7th & 8th grade bldg.  One of my children came home last week very excited because they heard a particular person was going to be principal at that school.  If that was more than rumor or speculation, I would love to know - as I'm sure many other parents would as well.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print