Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
THE Hoover Forum
05/17/24 at 12:26pm
News: Welcome to THE Hoover Forum - Check here for the forum rules.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Fine Arts Director? (Read 30864 times)
amp920
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Fine Arts Director?
04/22/10 at 6:37am

Posted at HCS Employment page:

Fine Arts Director - The Fine Arts Director supervises all fine arts and performing arts activities, including specialized professional learning for fine arts and performing arts staff, budget, curriculum design and implementation, arts-related events, community and business partnerships, and public relations so as to maximize creative student learning and community involvement.

Has there been any discussion here about this interesting development?  If so I missed it.  Very worthwhile in normal times but unusual when teaching positions are being cut everywhere in the system.  I have some ideas but wonder what others are thinking.  

View Profile   IP Logged
ProudBerryMom
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Re: Fine Arts Director?
Reply #1 - 04/22/10 at 7:15am

Andy Craig has wanted to compartmentalize the high schools for years.  He wants the math/science, IB, and technology school at HHS, and the fine arts at SPHS.  He does not want to have the schools zoned, and feels that the students should attend the schools based on the programs offered.  I do not think this will work, and I told him so after an HPTC meeting several years ago because teens want to attend school with their friends from their neighborhoods.

But, like an accountant, he is looking at saving money by not duplicating programs at the high schools.

Since Suzy Baker is now serving on the Board of Directors at the Alabama School of Fine Arts, I am sure she will be a great resource for such an endeavor.  

View Profile   IP Logged
my2cents
Hoover Forum All-Star Member

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #2 - 04/22/10 at 7:26am

Quote from ProudBerryMom on 04/22/10 at 7:15am:
Andy Craig has wanted to compartmentalize the high schools for years.  He wants the math/science, IB, and technology school at HHS, and the fine arts at SPHS.  He does not want to have the schools zoned, and feels that the students should attend the schools based on the programs offered.  I do not think this will work, and I told him so after an HPTC meeting several years ago because teens want to attend school with their friends from their neighborhoods.

But, like an accountant, he is looking at saving money by not duplicating programs at the high schools.

Since Suzy Baker is now serving on the Board of Directors at the Alabama School of Fine Arts, I am sure she will be a great resource for such an endeavor.  

Dang!  You made me spew my coffee on my screen.  AC and save in the same sentence?   

View Profile   IP Logged
ProudBerryMom
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #3 - 04/22/10 at 7:30am

Quote from my2cents on 04/22/10 at 7:26am:

Dang!  You made me spew my coffee on my screen.  AC and save in the same sentence?   

LOL I know...his words and ideas, not mine!!!

View Profile   IP Logged
amp920
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #4 - 04/22/10 at 3:48pm

I think when the selection is announced it will be clear that there is a hidden agenda -- finding a place to put someone.  Not for certain, just sayin'.  If my sources are wrong, I'll say so.

View Profile   IP Logged
Disillusioned
Hoover Forum Freshman

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #5 - 04/22/10 at 8:08pm

this is most definitely a position created in order to move someone. has anyone else figured out who is going there? it surprised me, but when i stopped and thought about it, i had to admit it was fairly typical of how things are done.  
incredible.

View Profile   IP Logged
hibousage

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #6 - 04/22/10 at 8:38pm

Peter Principle at it's finest?

Each morning, take time to imagine the person you want to be.
View Profile   IP Logged
westhoovermom
Hoover Forum Rookie

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #7 - 04/22/10 at 9:34pm

Andy Craig has wanted to compartmentalize the high schools for years.  He wants themath/science, IB, and technology school at HHS, and the fine arts at SPHS.  He does not want to have the schools zoned, and feels that the students should attend the schools based on the programs offered.  I do not think this will work, and I told him so after an HPTC meeting several years ago because teens want to attend school with their friends from their neighborhoods.

So what is my daughter, who wants to try the IB program and also wants to explore her talent for choir, drama, and dance, to do?  This is such ridiculous thinking.  And, it has nothing to do with attending school with your friends (although I agree that is important to kids).  It is about becoming a well-rounded individual, and being able to explore all of your talents.

I personally think the fine arts could use some directing...I am tired of seeing fabulous choirs at Bumpus performing in the gym!

View Profile   IP Logged
ProudBerryMom
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #8 - 04/22/10 at 9:39pm

Quote from westhoovermom on 04/22/10 at 9:34pm:
Andy Craig has wanted to compartmentalize the high schools for years.  He wants themath/science, IB, and technology school at HHS, and the fine arts at SPHS.  He does not want to have the schools zoned, and feels that the students should attend the schools based on the programs offered.  I do not think this will work, and I told him so after an HPTC meeting several years ago because teens want to attend school with their friends from their neighborhoods.

So what is my daughter, who wants to try the IB program and also wants to explore her talent for choir, drama, and dance, to do?  This is such ridiculous thinking.  And, it has nothing to do with attending school with your friends (although I agree that is important to kids).  It is about becoming a well-rounded individual, and being able to explore all of your talents.

I personally think the fine arts could use some directing...I am tired of seeing fabulous choirs at Bumpus performing in the gym!

I get it.  My daughter is at ASFA in math/science.  She also has other talents, and she is frowned upon when she wants to explore them.  I believe that children should be given opportunities to explore the arts and not be limited to just one passion.  I was simply repeating a conversation at an HPTC meeting a few years ago.

View Profile   IP Logged
googling

Proud Parent of a US
Army Infantry
Soldier

Reply #9 - 04/22/10 at 10:21pm

Why do they have to perform in the gym?  Simmons performs at Green Valley Baptist, Hoover performs at Bluff Park Methodist (one of the most impressive choirs I've ever seen), even Bluff Park Elementary chorus performs their yearly program at Shades Crest Baptist Church.  Why can't Bumpus perform at one of the local churches?  

And how would a fine arts person affect that?  For the above mentioned schools, the chorus teacher arranges the venue I believe.  Do we need another new position to handle what the teacher is already doing?

View Profile   IP Logged
ProudBerryMom
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #10 - 04/23/10 at 5:54am

Quote from googling on 04/22/10 at 10:21pm:

Why do they have to perform in the gym?  Simmons performs at Green Valley Baptist, Hoover performs at Bluff Park Methodist (one of the most impressive choirs I've ever seen), even Bluff Park Elementary chorus performs their yearly program at Shades Crest Baptist Church.  Why can't Bumpus perform at one of the local churches?  

And how would a fine arts person affect that?  For the above mentioned schools, the chorus teacher arranges the venue I believe.  Do we need another new position to handle what the teacher is already doing?

Do you remember several years ago when the plan was to build a Fine Arts building on Valleydale Road that would be used for concerts, plays, and other performances; graduations; and it could be rented as a venue for other events outside the school district.  Obviously that plan has been scrapped due to finances, but does anyone else remember when this idea was being discussed?

View Profile   IP Logged
voiceofreason

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #11 - 04/23/10 at 7:25am

Andy Craig has wanted to compartmentalize the high schools for years.  He wants the math/science, IB, and technology school at HHS, and the fine arts at SPHS.  He does not want to have the schools zoned, and feels that the students should attend the schools based on the programs offered.   

Yes, this would make perfect sense to an accountant.  Why duplicate programs at the two schools?  Force students to choose between science and art at an early age, and create one-dimensional learners.  It is, after all, more cost-efficient.  Just like "alternative service delivery" -- the accountant's term for replacing teachers with computers.  Or "maximize building capacity to limit capital expenses" -- the accountant's term for cramming as many teachers and students into one building as you possibly can, even if that means converting closets to classrooms and having large numbers of "floating" teachers.

View Profile   IP Logged
googling

Proud Parent of a US
Army Infantry
Soldier

Reply #12 - 04/23/10 at 7:42am

Quote from ProudBerryMom on 04/23/10 at 5:54am:
Quote from googling on 04/22/10 at 10:21pm:

Do you remember several years ago when the plan was to build a Fine Arts building on Valleydale Road that would be used for concerts, plays, and other performances; graduations; and it could be rented as a venue for other events outside the school district.  Obviously that plan has been scrapped due to finances, but does anyone else remember when this idea was being discussed?

Here's the thread:

http://hooverforum.com/hoover/YaBB.pl?num=1209787471/0

View Profile   IP Logged
amp920
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #13 - 04/23/10 at 8:01am

I don't think it's the Peter Principle; in fact almost the opposite, if it's who I think it is.  More like the loser of a turf battle very near the top of the heap.

View Profile   IP Logged
HSCIN II

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #14 - 04/23/10 at 10:20am

Yes, amp, I hear you.  I believe this is a position for Dr. Jarnagin.  I'm sick to my stomach.

View Profile   IP Logged
CS2
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #15 - 04/23/10 at 1:27pm

Quote from HSCIN II on 04/23/10 at 10:20am:
Yes, amp, I hear you.  I believe this is a position for Dr. Jarnagin.  I'm sick to my stomach.

oh please no!

View Profile   IP Logged
Disillusioned
Hoover Forum Freshman

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #16 - 04/23/10 at 5:35pm

we have a winner

View Profile   IP Logged
HSCIN II

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #17 - 04/23/10 at 6:52pm

I'm not sure who wins if I'm right about this.

View Profile   IP Logged
Hoovergal
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #18 - 04/23/10 at 10:28pm

This made up my mind.  Now I know how I will vote next week.

View Profile   IP Logged
amp920
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #19 - 04/24/10 at 6:42am

HSCIN II, that's what I have been hearing.  I too am sick.  Now the question is, who's in charge of academics if we don't have a "Chief Academic Officer"?  

This seems to presume some level of reorganization at the CO.  That should tell us if there is a winner.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print