Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
THE Hoover Forum
05/17/24 at 2:00am
News: Welcome to THE Hoover Forum - Check here for the forum rules.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Hoover Candidate Announcements (Read 5823 times)
hoover1990
Hoover Forum All-Star Member

THE Hoover Forum

Re: Hoover Candidate Announcements
Reply #20 - 07/10/08 at 2:19pm

Quote from synergis1 on 07/09/08 at 9:38pm:
Today is July 9. There are only 4 official days left for candidates to announce themselves. I simply cannot believe that the population of Hoover is so satisfied with the current council that only 3 people - out of what? about/over 100,000??? - will come forward to challenge the status quo.

Have we all lost touch with that American dream of community service, combined with patriotism and community spirit that leads us to step up and run for office? Where are all of the people with a desire to seek political office?

If July 15 ends with the current council 90% intact, we may as well close up shop here at the Forum because all this is - is another place to bi$ch and moan - and continue to not do a darn thing about it.

Everyone must be satisfied if they are not stepping up and running for office.  That is exactly what we will hear from those who sit in the seats of power to justify their decisions, past and future.

It makes me sad, but what has happened at the national and state level has now come all the way down to the local level.  Money equals power, and those with the money, or the willingness to use their power for the benefit of those who have money, can buy and keep the power.

I understand that it will cost about $25,000 to run competitively for city council this year.  I hear that Gene Smith has said that he will spend whatever it takes to be reelected.  He enjoys the power that much, and he has the money to keep buying it.  

In the last election, the Association of Homebuilders gave large amounts of money to the winning candidates.  The investment has paid off for them.  Alex and Suzy Baker gave at least $10,000 to winning candidates, and it bought them considerable influence in the school system.  There's a reason most candidates for public office are rich people.  Would Mr. and Mrs. Baker donate thousands to my campaign?  I don't think so.  

Folks of modest means can't afford to run for anything, even a volunteer city council seat in a medium-sized city like Hoover.

I do not think we should assume that the citizens of Hoover are satisfied with the current leadership.  The only thing that is certain is that our votes have been almost completely devalued by the influence of money on our local elections.   I think we should be careful about pointing fingers at each other and saying, "Why don't YOU run?"  "Well, why don't YOU?"  We are all in the same boat.  Our city government went to the highest bidders in the last election and maybe that has not affected everyone adversely yet, but no one can never be sure that it won't.  

Because of this, I think our voice -- our b*&^hing and moaning, if you will -- is more important than ever.  Phase one of tyranny is being able to buy an election and become so entrenched in power that no one can afford to run against you.  Phase two is getting everyone to give up, shut up, and go along with everything you do.

I may not be able to afford to run for office, but I don't intend to shut up when I see things that are wrong.

View Profile   IP Logged
voiceofreason

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #21 - 07/10/08 at 3:10pm

Wealth and position aren't the only sources of power.  You don't have to have seek or win political office to be a leader.  Silence, apathy, and hopelessness are our enemies, not our politicians.

View Profile   IP Logged
forpeace
Hoover Forum JV

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #22 - 07/10/08 at 3:51pm

I don't really think you need wealth to run for CC.  I believe that most people would vote for change if the change appeared a better fit. It just looks like we don't have many people interested enough in stepping in to run but I really do not believe that he with the most money would win at this point and time.

View Profile   IP Logged
superdolfan

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #23 - 07/10/08 at 4:17pm

Quote from forpeace on 07/10/08 at 3:51pm:
I don't really think you need wealth to run for CC.  I believe that most people would vote for change if the change appeared a better fit. It just looks like we don't have many people interested enough in stepping in to run but I really do not believe that he with the most money would win at this point and time.  

So let's say that you have Pascal Jacoway (I just made that name up, by the way, so any similarities to a real Pascal Jacaway are purely coincidental) running against Tony Petelos for mayor.

Mr. Petelos has campaigned hard and acumulated a nice war chest.  Mr. Jacoway works two jobs, really is not very well known in the community, doesn't have a lot of personal wealth, but has some really good ideas, at least his friends tell him so.  They encourage him to run for mayor, so he does.  When Mr. Petelos sees that he has competition, he begins his re-election campaign in earnest, flooding the airwaves and the newspapers with his name.  Everywhere you look there are Petelos for Mayor signs, but very few Jacoway in 2008 signs.

August 26 comes around.  You go to vote.  You see two names listed under Mayor:  Petelos and Jacoway.  You know about Petelos, but you don't know about Jacoway, at least not very much.  Honestly, who are you going to vote for?  And who do you think everyone else is going to vote for?

View Profile   IP Logged
forpeace
Hoover Forum JV

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #24 - 07/10/08 at 5:06pm

Quote from superdolfan on 07/10/08 at 4:17pm:
Quote from forpeace on 07/10/08 at 3:51pm:

So let's say that you have Pascal Jacoway (I just made that name up, by the way, so any similarities to a real Pascal Jacaway are purely coincidental) running against Tony Petelos for mayor.

Mr. Petelos has campaigned hard and acumulated a nice war chest.  Mr. Jacoway works two jobs, really is not very well known in the community, doesn't have a lot of personal wealth, but has some really good ideas, at least his friends tell him so.  They encourage him to run for mayor, so he does.  When Mr. Petelos sees that he has competition, he begins his re-election campaign in earnest, flooding the airwaves and the newspapers with his name.  Everywhere you look there are Petelos for Mayor signs, but very few Jacoway in 2008 signs.

August 26 comes around.  You go to vote.  You see two names listed under Mayor:  Petelos and Jacoway.  You know about Petelos, but you don't know about Jacoway, at least not very much.  Honestly, who are you going to vote for?  And who do you think everyone else is going to vote for?

I must have not made myself clear. That is one of the things I don't like about posting vs. speaking.   I was not saying that I didn't think Jacoway could win without spending ANY money.  I think he could get himself or herself out there and make contact with the public.  Hold some rallies, go to meet and greets, talk to the press etc.  He/she would probably need some signs.  Duh.  I just don't think you have to have the backing of BIG money like the Bakers in order to be elected.  I think it is possible for somebody to come out and run and win without selling their soul.  This is just my opinion.  That doesn't mean it is right.

View Profile   IP Logged
Hoover Forum Administrator
THE Hoover Forum Administrator

Don't Tread on Me

Reply #25 - 07/11/08 at 9:02pm

City of Hoover has updated their web site with candidates:

http://www.hooveral.org/Default.asp?ID=32&pg=News&action=view&nid=33 9

We are still missing web sites for:

John Greene, George Davis (both Place 7) and Vyvette Isabelle (Place 6).

Should anyone run across any of their web sites, please post them.  Should any canditate running for office wish the opportunity to answer questions from THE Hoover Forum members, please send us an e-mail at moderator@hooverforum.com so that we can set up your section.  

res ipsa loquitur
View Profile WWW   IP Logged

Don't Tread on Me

Reply #26 - 07/14/08 at 6:21am

Quote from Hoover Forum Administrator on 07/07/08 at 5:42pm:
As members may have noticed, we have a new member "John Greene", who we assume is the candidate for Council Place 7.  We have sent Mr. Greene an e-mail to confirm this and to see if he would like a section in the Election 2008 section.

Once we have received confirmation and acceptance, we will add Mr. Greene's section and notify the forum.  We are still awaiting the web site address for Mr. Davis.

We received the following e-mail today from Mr. Greene:

Thank you for your invitation to be included in the candidates' section of the Hoover Forum. I will send you my web site and email information within the next few days.  Currently, I am out of town on Annual Training active duty for the U.S. Army Reserve and will return to Hoover at the end of July.  While being away from Hoover for this few weeks delays my official campaigning, I am certain that the citizens of Hoover and the members of the Hoover Forum will understand my commitment to fulfilling my military responsibilities.  Thank you again for offering me the opportunity to participate in the Hoover Forum.

As soon as we receive the web site information, we'll be setting up the section for Mr. Greene.

res ipsa loquitur
aka_deplume

"Smug"

Reply #27 - 07/15/08 at 8:04am

Looks like Mr. Davis decided not to run:

Last day to qualify today!  Get on up to City Hall before 5 pm...

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles."
Sun Tsu, The Art of War

View Profile   IP Logged

Don't Tread on Me

Reply #28 - 07/15/08 at 5:55pm

Qualifying is now completed.

City of Hoover has updated their web site with candidates:  

We are still missing web sites for:  

John Greene, Jon "Rusty" Creel, Sr. (Both Place 7) and Vyvette Isabelle (Place 6).  

Should anyone run across any of their web sites, please post them.  Should any canditate running for office wish the opportunity to answer questions from THE Hoover Forum members, please send us an e-mail at moderator@hooverforum.com so that we can set up your section.    

« Last Edit: 07/15/08 at 7:24pm by Hoover Forum Administrator »  

res ipsa loquitur
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print