Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
THE Hoover Forum
05/16/24 at 11:42pm
News: Welcome to THE Hoover Forum - Check here for the forum rules.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Hoover Candidate Announcements (Read 5820 times)
smudgie
Hoover Forum All-Star Member

THE Hoover Forum

Hoover Candidate Announcements
06/18/08 at 5:27am

View Profile   IP Logged
googling

Proud Parent of a US
Army Infantry
Soldier

Re: Hoover Candidate Announcements
Reply #1 - 07/01/08 at 9:54pm

Newest list of candidates just out:

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2008/07/wouldbe_candidates_for_mayor_a.html

Hoover:

HOOVER

Mayor -- Tony Petelos (i).

Council Place 1 -- Trey Lott (i).

Council Place 2 -- Gene Smith (i).

Council Place 3 -- Mari Morrison (i).

Council Place 4 -- Gary Ivey (i).

Council Place 5 -- Jack Wright (i).

Council Place 6 -- Jimmie (Jim) Brown, Brian Skelton (i).

Council Place 7 -- John Greene.

Looks like Mike Natter is out, contrary to what was written a few weeks back.  He was the council representative for the Library.  John Greene sits on the Library Committee.  

Brian Skelton has competition.  I wonder if these candidates will have the guts to have us ask them questions on this forum.

What does anyone know about Jimmy Brown?

View Profile   IP Logged
forpeace
Hoover Forum JV

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #2 - 07/01/08 at 10:29pm

I don't know if they will have the "guts" to answer questions on this forum, but at least they have the "guts" to run which is more than most of the rest of us!

I have not seen a large influx of people signing up to run against the people in office now so apparently we must all be pretty satisfied with the way things are or many of us would step up and run.

It is easy to gripe and complain on an anonymous forum.  It is not easy to run and be in public office.      

I think it is time for people to "put up" or "shut up" because the election is just around the corner.  Run and try to bring about change or don't complain about the way it is.   Huh

Just my honest opinion.

View Profile   IP Logged
googling

Proud Parent of a US
Army Infantry
Soldier

Reply #3 - 07/02/08 at 8:32am

Quote from forpeace on 07/01/08 at 10:29pm:
I don't know if they will have the "guts" to answer questions on this forum, but at least they have the "guts" to run which is more than most of the rest of us!

I have not seen a large influx of people signing up to run against the people in office now so apparently we must all be pretty satisfied with the way things are or many of us would step up and run.

It is easy to gripe and complain on an anonymous forum.  It is not easy to run and be in public office.    

I think it is time for people to "put up" or "shut up" because the election is just around the corner.  Run and try to bring about change or don't complain about the way it is.   Huh

Just my honest opinion.  

You are correct.  "Guts" was probably a bad choice of words, as they do have the courage to run, which, as you say, is more than the rest of us can say.

I suppose a better way to word it would have been to ask if the challengers have the ability to be more transparent than the incumbents.  Would they mind answering questions, even if anonymous, from Hoover voters online.  So far the incumbents have not shown that they want to do so.

I would support anyone who will answer the tough questions on the record, even if the answers are not exactly what I want to hear.  And the questions can't be softballs thrown by some reporter who wants to stay on the candidate's good side.  The questions need to be from the people who actually go to vote.  Any candidate who steps up to the plate and responds would most likely have my support.

Now, does anyone know anything about Jimmy Brown?

View Profile   IP Logged
googling

Proud Parent of a US
Army Infantry
Soldier

Reply #4 - 07/03/08 at 11:33am

Running list of candidates:

http://blog.al.com/hoover/2008/07/two_hoover_city_council_seats.html#more

So far we have 2 to try to fill Natter's seat and 1 challenging Brian Skelton.

View Profile   IP Logged
blast123

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #5 - 07/04/08 at 5:01am

I know I have missed something in the candidates search for the Hoover City Council.

What TWO are running for Natter's seat??  

By my count I have two running only John Greene III and Jimmie Brown.

Who is the Third One?  

View Profile   IP Logged
blast123

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #6 - 07/04/08 at 5:21am

I think the poster in totaling of 3 candidates was including Brian Skeleton.  

He is an incumbent and is running for relection but I know a heck of a lot about Brian as opposed to Jimmie Brown.

I am more interested in challengers of Hoover City Council Members. "New" individual profiles, organizational relations with Hoover City presently, children that attend or attended schools, professional clubs, what companies work with in business dealings, what field of endeavor i.e. insurance, medical, banking, sales professional, or various other industries or RETIRED from what Industry.

Having said all that, I went to Jimmie Brown's website looking for information and only saw his picture.

Does John Greene III have a website?

View Profile   IP Logged
hooverdad
Hoover Forum Rookie

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #7 - 07/04/08 at 7:02am

Jimmy Brown's website has tabs at the top where you can click to find out about him and how he stands on some of the issues.  It's actually a pretty informative site.  Before reading it, I had no idea who he was.

View Profile   IP Logged
Hoover Forum Administrator
THE Hoover Forum Administrator

Don't Tread on Me

Reply #8 - 07/04/08 at 8:30am

Quote from hooverdad on 07/04/08 at 7:02am:
Jimmy Brown's website has tabs at the top where you can click to find out about him and how he stands on some of the issues.  It's actually a pretty informative site.  Before reading it, I had no idea who he was.

The website: http://www.jimbrownforhoovercitycouncil.com/

An e-mail has been sent out by THE Hoover Forum inviting Mr. Brown to take questions under the Election 2008 section.  Should Mr. Brown agree, a board will be set up for him under that section.

Should Mr. Greene's and Mr. Davis' web sites or e-mail addresses also be located, please post them, or e-mail them to moderator@hooverforum.com so that we can send them the same invitation.

res ipsa loquitur
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
synergis1

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #9 - 07/04/08 at 9:54am

I read through all of Brown's website.  The only thing I did not like was that he wants the third high school put off as long as possible.  He still has a daughter in middle school.  He may change his mind if he read all the Freshman Center information.

View Profile   IP Logged
blast123

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #10 - 07/04/08 at 12:21pm

I learned IT thur the Grape Vine " heard it through the GrapeVine" that Jimmie Brown has switched from challenging for Brian's seat to competing for Natter's spot in Competition w/ John Brown III.

BRIAN MUST HAVE SHUFFLE SOME CAMMPAIGN FUNDS AROUND!!!!

View Profile   IP Logged

Don't Tread on Me

Reply #11 - 07/04/08 at 11:00pm

Quote from Hoover Forum Administrator on 07/04/08 at 8:30am:
Quote from hooverdad on 07/04/08 at 7:02am:

The website: http://www.jimbrownforhoovercitycouncil.com/

An e-mail has been sent out by THE Hoover Forum inviting Mr. Brown to take questions under the Election 2008 section.  Should Mr. Brown agree, a board will be set up for him under that section.

Should Mr. Greene's and Mr. Davis' web sites or e-mail addresses also be located, please post them, or e-mail them to moderator@hooverforum.com so that we can send them the same invitation.

We have received an e-mail from Mr. Brown and he as graciously accepted to be a member of the forum and to accept questions from THE Hoover Forum members.  A board has been set up for Mr. Brown's questions under the Election 2008 category.

Please remember that we will moderate these questions and the threads.

res ipsa loquitur
blast123

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #12 - 07/05/08 at 9:09am

Thanks to the hooverforum I learned of the third candidate, George Davis.  

I am going to do my due diligence and learn more about the candidates for Hoover City Council.

Let's make Hoover Community a better community by being informed.

View Profile   IP Logged
HSCIN
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 07/05/08 at 9:24am

Quote from blast123 on 07/05/08 at 9:09am:

Great idea.

IP Logged
GoHoover2008
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #14 - 07/06/08 at 10:20am

Quote from HSCIN on 07/05/08 at 9:24am:

Great idea.

“Information is a source of learning. But unless it is organized, processed, and available to the right people in a format for decision making, it is a burden, not a benefit.” - William Pollard

View Profile   IP Logged
HSCIN
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 07/06/08 at 11:18am

Quote from GoHoover2008 on 07/06/08 at 10:20am:
Quote from HSCIN on 07/05/08 at 9:24am:

Great idea.

“Information is a source of learning. But unless it is organized, processed, and available to the right people in a format for decision making, it is a burden, not a benefit.” - William Pollard

Gosh, I'm beginning to believe you work (or worked) at the Central Office.   Wink  Why is information given freely to the public so threatening?  An informed and engaged community can only make our community stronger.  

Speaking of organized and processed and available to the right peoople in a format for decision making, check out this website:  www.vbschools.com  THIS is a school system website to be proud of.  THIS is information-sharing at its finest.  

I'm curious, 2008, how do you view the sharing of information?  Do you believe that information should be shared freely?  Do you believe that the public is "capable" of handling complicated pieces of information?  Do you believe that Educators should handle the Education in a school system and that parents are best given information on a "need-to-know" basis?  

Do you believe that the public is capable of electing qualified leaders?  Or do you share the Elitist view that those that are better Educated than others should be left to make the tough decisions?  That's kind of how it was a hundred and fifty years ago when the Educated were the ones elected to Statesman positions.  

I agree that information should be processed and organized and all of those other things that fellow said.  That's why we created the HSCIN site two years ago.....to offer organized information that the school system didn't feel the need to share but was highly pertinent to our school community.  

I'm growing more curious about your views as you continue to post, 2008.  

IP Logged
HSCIN
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 07/06/08 at 11:48am

"Information is the currency of democracy." - Thomas Jefferson

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"Restlessness is discontent and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man and I will show you a failure." - Thomas Edison

"For having lived long, I have experienced many instances of being obliged, by better information or fuller consideration, to change opinions, even on important subjects, which I once thought right but found to be otherwise." - Benjamin Franklin

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson

"He who knows best knows how little he knows." - Thomas Jefferson

"When you trust your television, what you get is what you got.  Cause when they own the information, oh, they can bend it all they want." - John Mayer, "Waiting on the World to Change"

Information is the key, isn't it?  Information too often translates to power.  I believe that's why sharing information is so threatening.  Sharing information with those who might disagree is even more threatening to those who do not wish their power to be questioned.  

IP Logged

Don't Tread on Me

Reply #17 - 07/07/08 at 5:42pm

As members may have noticed, we have a new member "John Greene", who we assume is the candidate for Council Place 7.  We have sent Mr. Greene an e-mail to confirm this and to see if he would like a section in the Election 2008 section.

Once we have received confirmation and acceptance, we will add Mr. Greene's section and notify the forum.  We are still awaiting the web site address for Mr. Davis.

res ipsa loquitur
synergis1

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #18 - 07/09/08 at 9:38pm

Today is July 9.  There are only 4 official days left for candidates to announce themselves.  I simply cannot believe that the population of Hoover is so satisfied with the current council that only 3 people - out of what? about/over 100,000??? - will come forward to challenge the status quo.

Have we all lost touch with that American dream of community service, combined with patriotism and community spirit that leads us to step up and run for office?  Where are all of the people with a desire to seek political office?

If July 15 ends with the current council 90% intact, we may as well close up shop here at the Forum because all this is - is another place to bi$ch and moan - and continue to not do a darn thing about it.

View Profile   IP Logged
forpeace
Hoover Forum JV

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #19 - 07/09/08 at 10:30pm

Quote from synergis1 on 07/09/08 at 9:38pm:
Today is July 9.  There are only 4 official days left for candidates to announce themselves.  I simply cannot believe that the population of Hoover is so satisfied with the current council that only 3 people - out of what? about/over 100,000??? - will come forward to challenge the status quo.

Have we all lost touch with that American dream of community service, combined with patriotism and community spirit that leads us to step up and run for office?  Where are all of the people with a desire to seek political office?

If July 15 ends with the current council 90% intact, we may as well close up shop here at the Forum because all this is - is another place to bi$ch and moan - and continue to not do a darn thing about it.

Are you running?  

I can't imagine why anyone would want to run in this town.  All people do is gripe and moan and complain.  It is rare that people have anything positive to say about the CC.  I think most people don't want to spend a term on the Council when the feeling is that they can't do anything right.  That is probably why you don't have a large influx of people signing up to run!  I think it sounds like a pretty thankless job.

I say good luck and thank you to anybody willing to give their time to do it and put up with all the garbage that goes along with it.  

Whether more people run or not, I don't think we should close up the forum.  It is a good place to give and get information.

So, are you running?

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print