Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
THE Hoover Forum
05/16/24 at 8:37pm
News: Welcome to THE Hoover Forum - Check here for the forum rules.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Ethics Law and Coaches (Read 2140 times)
dowhatisright
Hoover Forum Rookie

THE Hoover Forum

New Ethics Law and Coaches
09/21/11 at 6:39pm

I am curious to see how Alabama's new ethics law will impact coaches.  If a classroom teacher can't receive a Christmas gift, end of year gift; how are they handling all these coaches?  Interested in your thoughts...  Do you really think the coaches will stop getting perks?

View Profile   IP Logged
hibousage
Hoover Forum All-Star Member

THE Hoover Forum

Re: New Ethics Law and Coaches
Reply #1 - 11/01/11 at 5:14pm

Doesn't seem like it...

A tip
by acoachwithclass, 10/06/11 8:02 PM  
 on http://www.al.com/forums/hoover/

Each morning, take time to imagine the person you want to be.
View Profile   IP Logged
CrystalClear
Hoover Forum Freshman

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #2 - 12/01/11 at 10:23pm

This is  just another example of how our politicians get away with "perks" while teachers have to fill out "ethics" papers each year to prove we aren't getting any kickbacks!  

First... I spend at least 1 paycheck per year on my classroom.  Do the politicians in Montgomery or the Central office staff and board of Hoover have to buy their own copy paper, staples, books and supplies to do THEIR job?  The answer is NO!  They get "reimbursed" if they spend a dime of their own money.  

Second... There is NO MONEY for teacher's to use for their classroom.  If parents want to get them a gift card to a bookstore, or office supply store or ANYTHING it is considered "unethical" to receive it.  

Third... I LOVE giving to my child's teachers and coaches!  I know how hard they work and if I can get other parents to contribute a small amount for a gift card, WHY SHOULDN'T I be able to say thank you for a job well done?

Fourth... SPARE ME!  I have PLENTY of teacher/coach friends and I ASSURE you... NONE of us are getting rich off gift cards, cute money trees, teacher mugs, or other "thank you" gifts.  Believe it or not... The BEST gift I have ever received was a hand knitted scarf and a beautifully written thank you note.   I still have both!  

Fifth... "Perks" for coaches?  My son's wrestling coaches aren't getting "perks"!  I know where they live, how they live and how much they make.  I don't see anything "perky" about it.  They work their butts off and see my child more that I do.  Who are these coaches getting "perks"?  

Why not look into the INDIVIDUALS who are UNETHICAL instead of putting everyone in the same pile of sewage?

As I tell my son... Bad people do bad things and screw it up for everyone else!  or How I really feel...
 DA people do DA things and F it up for everyone else!

View Profile   IP Logged
dowhatisright
Hoover Forum Rookie

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #3 - 12/01/11 at 11:21pm

I totally agree!  It is ridiculous!  I have seen some football coaches get some "extra" perks and pass those on conveniently to an undeserving child. All these so called "elite" teams for baseball are so unethical.  Baseball coaches promising spots on a team because dad has been greasing those palms with special lessons, clinics, etc... This year at Spain Park 12 8th graders made the freshman team.  Some of these parents have been working that system for awhile.  Football is big too!  A dad buys a new piece of equipment or takes coaches to dinner.  Surprise, their average athletic son never comes off the field.  I feel sorry for the teachers.  All the teachers are being punished because a bunch of good ole boys are mad they were called out for taking perks, bribes, whatever.  The fact that the government wants to get involved or even worry what kind of Christmas gift a classroom teacher receives is borderline sinful!  The government is punishing the people who are probably the most ethical.  In the past my children's teachers have used class gifts to purchase things for their classroom.  God forbid they get a gift card to get a $25 pedicure as a thank you for working their ass off.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print