Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
THE Hoover Forum
05/20/24 at 6:37pm
News: Welcome to THE Hoover Forum - Check here for the forum rules.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Board of Education Applicants - 2011 (Read 2290 times)
googling
Hoover Forum All-Star Member

Proud Parent of a US
Army Infantry
Soldier

Board of Education Applicants - 2011
03/12/11 at 7:26am

According to the Birmingham News, current Board of Education President A.W. Bolt will not seek a second term on the Board.

Only two applications were turned in for the upcomming appointment, one by Dr. Ronald Braswell and one by Marshall Allen Hollis, an attorney.

Interviews are scheduled for the week of March 21.

I've looked over my notes from past interviews and found that Dr. Braswell was one of three finalists for the position in 2009, along with current Board member Paulette Pearson.  Here's what I wrote on Dr. Braswell's interview on 04/15/09:

I liked Dr. Braswell's experience in having served on an elected school board in Mississippi.  He interviewed well.  My only issue with him was that he had children at SMS and HHS.  Several councilors asked him if he would have time issues, which he said he would not.  He brings a different type of person to the board, someone from the medical field.  Due to his short time in Hoover (>5 years), he will have less of an impression of East vs. West, but he still has children in the schools.

View Profile   IP Logged
googling

Proud Parent of a US
Army Infantry
Soldier

Re: Board of Education Applicants - 2011
Reply #1 - 03/21/11 at 8:00pm

The interviews for the opening for Board of Education were held today from 5 pm-6 pm in the Hoover City Council Chambers.

The Council Education Committee was present.

In the audience were five members of the public, Mr. Gaston from HCS, and the Birmingham News.

Mr. Marshall Hollis, an attorney who's lived in Hoover for about four months, was interviewed from 5:00 pm to 5:24 pm, and he was commended by one of the council members for applying for the position.

Dr. Braswell was interviewed from 5:28 pm to 5:48 pm, and he was told by a couple of the council members that he was in their top 2 the last time he interviewed.  

I have the list of questions and answers by both candidates, and will post them if anyone is interested.

View Profile   IP Logged
googling

Proud Parent of a US
Army Infantry
Soldier

Reply #2 - 04/04/11 at 11:07pm

At tonight's City Council meeting, Dr. Brasswell was appointed to the Hoover Board of Education by a 6-0 vote.  Mr. Skelton made the nomination.

Dr. Braswell was not present at the meeting.

The next Board of Education meeting is April 11.  Several people indicated that they hope he attends the next two meetings even though he won't be seated until June.

View Profile   IP Logged
googling

Proud Parent of a US
Army Infantry
Soldier

Reply #3 - 04/05/11 at 11:30am

Quote from googling on 04/04/11 at 11:07pm:
At tonight's City Council meeting, Dr. Brasswell was appointed to the Hoover Board of Education by a 6-0 vote.  Mr. Skelton made the nomination.

Dr. Braswell was not present at the meeting.

The next Board of Education meeting is April 11.  Several people indicated that they hope he attends the next two meetings even though he won't be seated until June.

Next Board meeting has been changed to April 18 at 5:30 pm per e-mail from Central Office today.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print