Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
THE Hoover Forum
05/17/24 at 9:03am
News: Welcome to THE Hoover Forum - Check here for the forum rules.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Weather Related Dismissals (Read 1185 times)
googling
Hoover Forum All-Star Member

Proud Parent of a US
Army Infantry
Soldier

Weather Related Dismissals
03/06/11 at 7:15am

There is an interesting article in today's Birmingham News dealing with school closings due to potentially bad weather, like tornadoes.  

The argument is should schools close early with impending storms or should they keep the children in school until after the storms have passed.  They cite that since the tornado that swept through Enterprise High School four years ago, more and more schools are dismissing early when there are impending storms, one reason being liability - fear of being sued if something happens to the child at school during the storm.  The other side, including James Spann, argue that the school may be a safer place to be than their home.  He said had the Enterprise kids been sent home there would have been "hundreds of deaths" instead of eight.  

Hoover City Schools is one of the systems that closes early, which can be a problem for some working parents.  The child goes home and nobody may be there.  Personally, I would rather know that my child is safe at home instead of being at the school, but I have an employer who understands these things and would let me leave.  Some employers don't.  And what about the ride home on the bus?  With inclement weather, that could be an issue also, putting the bus riders in danger.

Is it possible that we may be putting the fear of being sued ahead of the student's safety and well being?  Every one of our facilities is top notch and would most likely provide a "safer place" than most homes.  Should the HCS keep our kids in school until after the storm or should they send them home?

View Profile   IP Logged
hibousage
Hoover Forum All-Star Member

THE Hoover Forum

Re: Weather Related Dismissals
Reply #1 - 03/06/11 at 4:45pm

Sad to say, fear of being sued rather than what's best for the children guides many decisions made...

According to the article, in order to get everybody home, the decision has to be made hours ahead of time.  There have been so many times that the weather is a non-event by the time it gets here.  Ans as was mentioned in the article, many times, even here in Hoover, the school is safer than the home structure.

Each morning, take time to imagine the person you want to be.
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print