Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
THE Hoover Forum
05/17/24 at 12:17pm
News: Welcome to THE Hoover Forum - Check here for the forum rules.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Work Session and Reg. Board Meeting Feb. 15, 2011 (Read 4899 times)
googling
Hoover Forum All-Star Member

Proud Parent of a US
Army Infantry
Soldier

Work Session and Reg. Board Meeting Feb. 15, 2011
02/15/11 at 10:25pm

HOOVER CITY BOARD OF EDUCATION
REGULAR BOARD MEETING
FEBRUARY 15, 2011      5:30 pm

DRAFT AGENDA  

I.             CALL TO ORDER
              PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE LED BY DEER VALLEY ELEMENTARY STUDENTS JETT PATEL, KATHERINE APEL, JOSHUA SHORT, EVAN VEAL, AND HANA PARK
              MR. JOHN KINCAID AND THE SIMMONS MIDDLE SCHOOL CHOIR  

II.            ADOPTION OF AGENDA  

III.           RECOGNITION
               A.            2010-2011 National Board Certified Teachers
               B.            Positive Image Awards
                             1.     Carissa Anthony, Liz Fry, and Marion Kellough  
               C.            George Mickens/Ownership Award                                            

IV.           ACTION ITEMS
              A.            Minutes from January 18, 2011 Regular Board Meeting
              B.            Personnel Actions
              C.            Business Actions
                             1.            Monthly Financial Statement – December 2010
                             2.            Payroll – January 2011 -$6,692,179.37
                             3.            Cash Disbursements – January 2011 - $2,844,708.78
              D.            2011-2012 School Calendar                            

V.            PUBLIC PARTICIPATION  

VI.           INFORMATION/REPORTS              

VII.          NEW BUSINESS  

VIII.         DATE OF NEXT BOARD MEETING
              Next regular Board meeting will be on Tuesday, March 22, 2011 at 5:30 PM  

IX.           ADJOURNMENT

So reads the agenda.

The board room, once again, was filled to beyond capacity.  People were standing outside of the room.  The walls were lined with 8th graders from Simmons Middle School Chorus wearing pink shirts ready to perform to open the meeting.

All members of the Board were present when Mr. Bolt gaveled the meeting to order at 5:30 pm.

Nearly every principal of HCS was present, as were Mrs. Barber, Dr. Dodson, Mrs. Veal, Mr. McBay and Mrs. Antee.

After the Pledge of Allegiance, SMS Choir performed "From a Distance".

Recognition included recognizing the 2010-2011 National Board Certified Teachers.  Mrs. Barber noted that Hoover City Schools has the largest percentage of National Board Certified Teachers of any system in Alabama.

Action items included the announcement that Mr. McBay was retiring at the end of the school year.  Mr. Craig recognized Mr. McBay stating that he was "retiring after 143 years  of service".  Mr. McBay made some nice remarks.

The 2011-2012 School Calendar was approved.  Next year will have a August 15 start date at the request of the State Board of Education, which is the latest that Hoover has had in many years.

After Action Items, Mr. Bolt indicated that he would be moving Public Participation after Mr. Craig's Information Report.

A three page document was handed out to everyone in the audience (Mr. Gasten indicated that he would post it on the school web site ASAP) that outlined the upcoming changes to HHS, Crossroads, Bumpus MS, Deer Valley ES, Trace Crossings ES, South Shades Crest ES, Central Office, Old Berry MS, and the Ross Bridge student population.

I'll try to summarize the document:

Old Berry (identified as Columbiana Road Property):
Converted to multi-functional facility
District Wide Alternative School
District Wide Pre-School
Extended day holiday and summer daycare services
Central Office

HHS
Freshmen back to Senior Campus
Utilize classrooms at Crossroads
Add 24-36 classrooms

Intermediate School (at either current Freshman Center or Bumpus - still being decided)
5th/6th grade intermediate school from DVES, SSCES, TCES
Ross Bridge students realigned to Bumpus

SSCES and DVES Zone Modification

The document goes into detail on each of the above items.

The plan was presented by:  Mr. Craig, Dr. Dodson, Mr. Hulin, Mr. Smith, Mrs. Whitney, Mrs. Barber, and the principals from Bumpus, DVES, SSCES.  

The Board was allowed to ask questions.  Mrs. Pearson praised the plan.

The audience was then allowed to ask questions.  Nothing but positive remarks from all.

It should be noted that this plan is not set in stone yet, but could be voted on soon.  The only item that was not with a definite plan was the fate of the current Central Office.  Mr. Craig, when I asked him about it, said it could be either sold or leased.

The meeting adjourned at 7:24 pm.

Again, excellent presentation by all HCS staff involved.  The document, as mentioned, goes into greater detail than what I've written here.  

Please feel free to add any comments/statements to this that I may have missed.  To the Board or members of the public that spoke, please feel free to add your own comments if I erroneously took any of your statements out of context.  

View Profile   IP Logged
Hoovergal
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Re: Work Session and Reg. Board Meeting Feb. 15, 2
Reply #1 - 02/15/11 at 11:02pm

What will happen with the name of the building?  It was named after Jack Farr.

Why the decision to move Central Office?

View Profile   IP Logged
slab
Hoover Forum JV

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #2 - 02/16/11 at 2:25pm

Glad to see a proposal that has been well researched.  Also glad to see that old Berry is going to be put to use for something productive.  Moving the central office and cutting down on that overhead is a step in the right direction toward fiscal responsibility.  The CO building can be sold or leased effectively converting it into a productive asset.

The only negative I see is that it shifts the overcrowding burden to HHS.  Until everyone accepts the fact that there must be more re-zoning to move students from HHS to SPHS we are only putting bandaids on a growing wound.  

Why is this the line no one seems willing to cross?   And don't give me the SP BOE line, that was valid years ago when this forum was born, I'm not willing to lay it at their feet solely now.

View Profile   IP Logged
googling

Proud Parent of a US
Army Infantry
Soldier

Reply #3 - 02/16/11 at 4:23pm

Quote from slab on 02/16/11 at 2:25pm:
Glad to see a proposal that has been well researched.  Also glad to see that old Berry is going to be put to use for something productive.  Moving the central office and cutting down on that overhead is a step in the right direction toward fiscal responsibility.  The CO building can be sold or leased effectively converting it into a productive asset.

The only negative I see is that it shifts the overcrowding burden to HHS.  Until everyone accepts the fact that there must be more re-zoning to move students from HHS to SPHS we are only putting bandaids on a growing wound.  

Why is this the line no one seems willing to cross?   And don't give me the SP BOE line, that was valid years ago when this forum was born, I'm not willing to lay it at their feet solely now.

Funny you should mention this.  Last night a parent asked that exact question (she has children in elementary school).  It was like the air left the room as soon as she asked the question and she said "Did I say something wrong?".  It's the topic nobody wants to talk about. And nobody did.  

Personally, I don't think it's on the Board.  I don't think it's on Mr. Craig either.  I think it's on those (of us) who live on the HHS side who like sending our kids to HHS.  Until we're ready to say "If I must send my child to SPHS, then so be it." nothing will change.  As soon as the word "re-zoning" is mentioned, all hell breaks loose unless it's not our neighborhood that's being re-zoned, then we could care less.

View Profile   IP Logged
slab
Hoover Forum JV

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #4 - 02/16/11 at 5:06pm

Quote from googling on 02/16/11 at 4:23pm:

Funny you should mention this.  Last night a parent asked that exact question (she has children in elementary school).  It was like the air left the room as soon as she asked the question and she said "Did I say something wrong?".  It's the topic nobody wants to talk about. And nobody did.  

Personally, I don't think it's on the Board.  I don't think it's on Mr. Craig either.  I think it's on those (of us) who live on the HHS side who like sending our kids to HHS.  Until we're ready to say "If I must send my child to SPHS, then so be it." nothing will change.  As soon as the word "re-zoning" is mentioned, all hell breaks loose unless it's not our neighborhood that's being re-zoned, then we could care less.

Does the word DANG now work on this site?  Roll Eyes    Guess not....maybe the Forum Admin can now give that one back....

No one wants to kick that hornets nest in this round of discussions I guess.

View Profile   IP Logged
Bucsamillion
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #5 - 02/24/11 at 12:10pm

Quote from slab on 02/16/11 at 5:06pm:
Quote from googling on 02/16/11 at 4:23pm:

Does the word DANG now work on this site?  Roll Eyes    Guess not....maybe the Forum Admin can now give that one back....

No one wants to kick that hornets nest in this round of discussions I guess.

As someone posted earlier, the BOE and the SUPT need to step up and address the rezoning of more kids to SPHS. It's their job and the fact that it is unpopular doesn't mean it should be ignored. At some point the band-aid needs to be ripped off.

View Profile   IP Logged
googling

Proud Parent of a US
Army Infantry
Soldier

HHS Upcoming Changes
Reply #6 - 02/12/11 at 10:53am

An e-mail went out yesterday to all of the HHS staff regarding some changes.

Proposals being discussed include:

Freshman and Senior Campus faculty, staff and students would go back to being housed at Senior Campus.
Crossroads facility would become home of Hoover High School Academies
Implementation of Air Force ROTC
Construction of 24-36 classroom addition to Senior Campus (completed by 2012-2013 School Year)
Grade 5-6 students would be housed at current Freshman Campus (it did not mention from what schools)

In addition, but not in the e-mail, Central Office would move to Old Berry.  The two schools housed at Crossroads (Second Chance and New Beginnings) would also move to Old Berry.  

View Profile   IP Logged
googling

Proud Parent of a US
Army Infantry
Soldier

Re: HHS Upcoming Changes
Reply #7 - 02/13/11 at 2:43pm

View Profile   IP Logged
voiceofreason

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #8 - 02/14/11 at 11:33am

Yes, rumors had been flying hot and heavy for a couple of weeks, but we at HHS heard about this "officially" in an e-mail from Mr. H on Friday.

Just remember, nothing is set in stone yet, just being discussed, and whatever happens over the next couple of years may bear no resemblance whatsoever to what is being discussed now, just as the Freshman Campus concept as it was actually implemented bore very little resemblance to how it was originally pitched to us and the community.  In the e-mail we received, it was stressed that the future grade configuration of what is now the HHS Freshman Campus has not yet been decided.

Clearly, with no construction of new schools in the foreseeable future, some sort of reorganization/reuse of buildings needs to happen to relieve overcrowding in several places and to make better use of facilities we already have.  The Freshman Campus concept has not delivered on the benefits promised, besides being a logistical nightmare due to its physical separation, and I agree that it is time to bring them home and reintegrate them into HHS, even though that will mean some (hopefully) temporary crowding for us.  While I have no official confirmation of this, and it may not even have been decided yet, the word is that the freshmen will come back to the Senior Campus next school year, although the classroom addition to HHS is not planned to be completed until the following school year.  If that is true, it will be tight here next year, but we survived the year before Spain Park opened when we had almost 2800 students here, and we can do it again.

I had not heard about any discussion of moving Central Office to the old Berry campus along with Crossroads.  Any word on what would happen to the Central Office building under that scenario?

View Profile   IP Logged
BucStopsHere

Luke 12:2-3

Reply #9 - 02/15/11 at 11:42am

Can anyone provide current utilization capacities for all of our Hoover schools?

We just renewed a bond to lengthen payments to be able to pay current and projected expenses. The citizens of Hoover approved this so that we could reduce expense strains and hopefully avoid more cuts in programs and positions.

I'm wondering how we can now afford to pay for new classrooms, and why we would if we have capacity at existing schools? And why has this suddenly come to public light after the vote and bond restructuring?

Have any of the proposed changes been publicly recommended (by Craig) to, and discussed by, the BOE yet? If so, then did they ask my questions? And if not, then why the heck is a very premature email going out to the HHS staff?!?

View Profile   IP Logged
buckeye2
Hoover Forum Rookie

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #10 - 02/15/11 at 11:55am

I have been reading this forum for years and I am so disappointed that the number of people responding seems to be declining. I am concerned about this change being proposed by the board. It seems to be another temporary fix to a problem. Why is it now that  Hoover High School is giving up on the idea of a freshman campus? Is it not a good idea anymore? Why did we spend all that money to build that building only to use 2 floors out of three? Why is this being done at the last minute to the surprise of the parents and students. I have so many questions.....and they seem to point to a board of ed that has not been a good steward of our money.
      If an intermediate school is good idea for Bumpus folks, isn't it a good idea for Simmons and Berry folks too? After all, doesn't everything have to be equal?
      My crazy idea. Simmons needs to be a 5/6 intermediate school. The old Berry on Columbiana needs to be a 5/6 intermediate school. Both buildings are set up in a way that could accomodate elementary school students. ( I have been in all of these buildings)  
Berry, Bumpus, and the Old Freshman Center could be 7/8 middle schools. (now they will be less crowded)
Elementary schools could be aligned to appropriate intermediate schools to make the enrollment equal.... (that is another can of worms, but it needs to be done)

Why can't someone step up and be a problem solver? Come on Mr. Craig, we need you.

View Profile   IP Logged
googling

Proud Parent of a US
Army Infantry
Soldier

Reply #11 - 02/15/11 at 8:31pm

I've just come in from the Board meeting (it lasted until 7:30 pm).

I want to comment on the changes, but I want to make sure that I have all of my documentation in order, and all my notes complete.

I do want to summarize the upcoming changes in one word:  awesome.  

For the very first time in a long time I left a Board meeting feeling good about what the CO is doing.  Actually, feeling great.  So many people have come together and put a project in place that is going to benefit EVERY child that is zoned for Hoover High School, some more than others, but all will benefit.

I hope to have a summary up by 9 am tomorrow, but there will be coverage on Fox 6 tonight and Birmingham News (al.com) either tonight or in the morning.

Great plans.  Seriously.

View Profile   IP Logged
voiceofreason

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #12 - 02/16/11 at 7:31pm

I have to agree with your assessment of the proposed changes, Googling.  Finally, something that makes sense and makes full use of our existing facilities, given the reality that no one wants to face the question of re-zoning Hoover/Spain Park attendance zones yet, and no money exists to build new schools in the foreseeable future.  

Yes, there are details of traffic and bus routes and lunches and parking and room assignments to be worked out.  Yes, it will be more crowded at HHS until the addition is complete.  Yes, there are some issues with elementary children (and their families) having to suddenly adjust to going to a different school and/or to experiencing a different grade configuration than they expected next year.    

But in the big picture, crowding is relieved at the elementary and middle schools, the old Berry campus isn't sitting virtually empty and unused, the monument to Jack Farr will generate some income, and our freshmen get to come home, where (IMHO) they always belonged.

View Profile   IP Logged
2BaBUC
Hoover Forum Rookie

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #13 - 02/16/11 at 10:36pm

Is there any clarity as to when the freshman class will actually be back at HHS? Is it the upcoming school year, or 2012-13?

View Profile   IP Logged
voiceofreason

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #14 - 02/17/11 at 6:02am

My understanding, based on statements that Mr. H has made to me, is that the freshmen will return to HHS next school year.  That could always change, of course, but right now, that's the plan, and arrangements are already in progress to accommodate that next year.

View Profile   IP Logged
BucStopsHere

Luke 12:2-3

Reply #15 - 02/19/11 at 1:08pm

Quote from googling on 02/15/11 at 8:31pm:
I've just come in from the Board meeting (it lasted until 7:30 pm).

I want to comment on the changes, but I want to make sure that I have all of my documentation in order, and all my notes complete.

I do want to summarize the upcoming changes in one word:  awesome.  

For the very first time in a long time I left a Board meeting feeling good about what the CO is doing.  Actually, feeling great.  So many people have come together and put a project in place that is going to benefit EVERY child that is zoned for Hoover High School, some more than others, but all will benefit.

I hope to have a summary up by 9 am tomorrow, but there will be coverage on Fox 6 tonight and Birmingham News (al.com) either tonight or in the morning.

Great plans.  Seriously.

Wonderful news. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and your notes.

View Profile   IP Logged
hibousage

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #16 - 02/19/11 at 8:41pm

I'm really curious what housing the academies at the crossroads would mean.  Would the kids go back and forth like the band kids do right now, or would they stay there in their own little world, not having the opportunity to take the variety of classes HHS has to offer?  Does anyone know?

Each morning, take time to imagine the person you want to be.
View Profile   IP Logged
googling

Proud Parent of a US
Army Infantry
Soldier

Reply #17 - 02/20/11 at 7:02am

Quote from hibousage on 02/19/11 at 8:41pm:
I'm really curious what housing the academies at the crossroads would mean.  Would the kids go back and forth like the band kids do right now, or would they stay there in their own little world, not having the opportunity to take the variety of classes HHS has to offer?  Does anyone know?

The way it was presented was that they would be shuttled over there.

Here's how it was written up in the handout:  "The use of the former Crossroads campus as a center for Hoover's academy programs will allow these programs to be showcased as a state and national success, create opportunities for the integration of academy themes in core subject classes, and allow students to enroll in academies for the first time as upperclassmen."

Here is a link to the handout: http://www2.hoover.k12.al.us/Documents/Realignment%20Proposal--Hoover%20City%20S chools.pdf

Admin: could this thread be combined with the Board Meeting thread since they both talk about the same topic?

View Profile   IP Logged
hoover1990

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #18 - 02/21/11 at 11:17am

I guess my question is, why do I not see bulldozers and construction equipment at HHS right now?  I don't like hearing "nothing is set in stone."  At some point, a decision needs to be made and work needs to start.

They are bringing the 9th graders back to the Sr. Campus next year?  And putting them where?  That will put 2,600 students in a building with a capacity for 2,200.  I don't see how that works.  

Also, the City needs to be working right now on a second access road to HHS.  

I guess I'm impatient, but the political and economic decisions that led us to the necessity of a mega, 9-12 school on the current campus of HHS were made years ago.  I'm talking about 2004, when rezoning was rejected.  And then in 2005-06, when changes in school system leadership scrapped any plan for a third high school on the western side of town.  I wish they had grappled with the obvious Bumpus/Deer Valley problem sooner.  I thought my child had made it past the worst of the overcrowding when he finally got to the Sr. Campus -- but it's going to follow him there!

Don't get me wrong, I think this plan is a good one.  It's what the larger community apparently wants, and it is the only viable plan at this point.  There are lots of positives.  I just wish the construction/renovation was already done.

I hope there are going to be some parent meetings to address some questions.  For instance:

What about traffic?  Is a plan in the works?
How will they feed lunch to 2,600 students?
How will transportation to the Academy Building work?  (Let's not kid ourselves.  It's not time travel.  Any time you move kids somewhere on buses, they lose some instructional time.)
How many floating teachers will there be?  Do they have the same access to technology that "stationary" teachers have?
Will class sizes go up?
Will there be portables?  (There were the last time we had that many students.)
Will there be adequate science labs and equipment to accommodate the increased number of students?
Is anyone looking at traffic flow inside the building?  Kids already have a hard time getting from one end to the other in the time allowed.  How will that work when there are 630 more kids in there?
Will we get more counselors?  More SROs?
Will the new addition have the same level of technology the rest of the building has?

Those are just my questions from the high school perspective.  I'm sure parents with kids being affected at the elementary and middle school levels have different questions.  

View Profile   IP Logged
googling

Proud Parent of a US
Army Infantry
Soldier

Reply #19 - 02/23/11 at 9:41am

Speak now or forever hold your peace:

HOOVER CITY BOARD OF EDUCATION
CALLED BOARD MEETING
FEBRUARY 24, 2011 9:00 AM