Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
THE Hoover Forum
05/17/24 at 9:00am
News: Welcome to THE Hoover Forum - Check here for the forum rules.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fortitude Part II (Read 2108 times)
googling
Hoover Forum All-Star Member

Proud Parent of a US
Army Infantry
Soldier

Fortitude Part II
01/21/11 at 1:54pm

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local-beat/10-Commandments-Returning-to-some-V A-Schools-114353619.html

Synopsis: Freedom From Religion Foundantion sends threatening letter to school board in Virginia telling them that they will sue if the 10 Commandments are not removed from the walls of classrooms.  School board, on advice of their attorney, take the Commandments down.  Parents in system sign pettition to bring Commandments back.  School board, knowing that they work for the parents, vote to bring Commandments back.

Quote from Freedom From Religion Foundation spokesperson after hearing that parents aren't going to put up with empty threats: "Anybody with any common sense could see why you cannot put religious dogma on the walls of the school," she told the paper. "This is just a travesty; it's shocking."

Shocking is school boards that cave to empty threats at the advice of counsel.  

A travesty is parents who just sit on their hands.

Kudos to the Virginia school system.

View Profile   IP Logged
googling

Proud Parent of a US
Army Infantry
Soldier

Re: Fortitude Part II
Reply #1 - 01/26/11 at 11:00am

Follow up to this story:

http://www.gazettevirginian.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&am p;id=2461:standing-up&catid=39:paula-bryant&Itemid=72

From the article:  
"But I believe Del. Edmunds and the Giles County School Board members know that sometimes you have to take a firm stand for what is right despite what lawyers might advise.

What’s that saying, if you don’t stand for something, you’ll fall for anything?"

View Profile   IP Logged
googling

Proud Parent of a US
Army Infantry
Soldier

Reply #2 - 02/22/11 at 12:11pm

Spoke too soon...

http://www.roanoke.com/news/nrv/breaking/wb/277878

Another triumph for the Freedom From Religion Foundation...boasting a nationwide membership of 25,000!

View Profile   IP Logged
hoover1990

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #3 - 02/22/11 at 2:34pm

The school board is acting responsibly, in my opinion.  It's a public school system.  For the schools to display the Ten Commandments is unconstitutional, and they would lose a lawsuit and waste taxpayer money.

If parents want their children to see and be reminded of the Ten Commandments during the school day, there are many legal ways they can accomplish that.  Make the kid a bookmark with the Commandments on it.  Make inserts for the front of binders.  Embroider them on book covers and backpacks.  All that would be personal property, and perfectly constitutional (and, I would argue, probably more effective than some plaque on a wall.)

View Profile   IP Logged
hibousage

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #4 - 02/22/11 at 10:33pm

I have seen public school prohibit wearing a cross as jewelry.  I don't think they'd go for the book covers.

I's rather see the ten commandments up, along with other documents used to shape our country, and our world.  Maybe not anything from Hitler, but you know what I mean Smiley

Each morning, take time to imagine the person you want to be.
View Profile   IP Logged
hoover1990

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #5 - 02/23/11 at 11:27pm

I agree, as a part of an educational display illustrating world religions, or world history, I think the schools could come up with something that would pass constitutional scrutiny.

As for the banning of crosses as jewelry, yeah, that's taking things to an opposite extreme, isn't it?  Huh

View Profile   IP Logged
googling

Proud Parent of a US
Army Infantry
Soldier

Reply #6 - 02/25/11 at 11:47am

In the end, the schools lost, their Board of Education showed their yellow streak, but the students won by doing it anyway, and doing it their way.  Kudos to the students.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print