Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
THE Hoover Forum
05/17/24 at 1:46pm
News: Welcome to THE Hoover Forum - Check here for the forum rules.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
2010 Board of Education Member Appointment (Read 7124 times)
googling
Hoover Forum All-Star Member

Proud Parent of a US
Army Infantry
Soldier

2010 Board of Education Member Appointment
03/01/10 at 9:54pm

I attended the Hoover City Council meeting tonight.  

Right after the Invocation and Pledge of Allegiance, Mr. Ivey announced that applications for the 2010 Hoover City Schools Board of Education appointment would begin to be accepted starting tomorrow, Tuesday, March 2, 2010.  Mr. Ivey indicated that interviews of candidates would begin around the end or March, beginning of April and that the appointment would be made at the end of April.

He said an official schedule would come out tomorrow.

There were two proclamations at the meeting regarding the schools.  The first was for the Hoover High Wrestling Team for their State Championship (the team and coaches were there to be recognized by the mayor and council).  The second was for the NEA's Read Across America.

View Profile   IP Logged
in.the.know
Ex Member

Re: 2010 Board of Education Member Appointment
Reply #1 - 03/02/10 at 7:19am

Speaking of the wrestling team I'm courious to know if there was any mention of the head coachs alleged inappropriate relationship with one of his wrestlers moms. Allegedly resulting in the divorce of the parents and the quitting of two brothers one of which was a returning state champ.. Or is this something elese thats going to get swept under the rug.. Looks like we might have another Propst in the making..

IP Logged
aka_deplume

"Smug"

Reply #2 - 03/02/10 at 8:08am

Quote from in.the.know on 03/02/10 at 7:19am:
Speaking of the wrestling team I'm courious to know if there was any mention of the head coachs alleged inappropriate relationship with one of his wrestlers moms. Allegedly resulting in the divorce of the parents and the quitting of two brothers one of which was a returning state champ.. Or is this something elese thats going to get swept under the rug.. Looks like we might have another Propst in the making..

Way to stay classy, in the know!  Is it true that the song by Bob Dylan "Positively 4th Street" was inspired by you?

Back to the topic at hand (since thread jacking is frowned upon), does anyone know who might be running for the board this year?  Is it not Mrs. Frazier who's rolling off?  Has she alluded to running again?

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles."
Sun Tsu, The Art of War

View Profile   IP Logged
HSCIN II

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #3 - 03/02/10 at 8:47am

Mrs. Frazier's term is expiring.  She will have completed her five-year term at the end of May.

The next term begins June 1, 2010.  It is a five-year term.  

There are many folks reading this forum that would make EXCELLENT board members.  Please consider this option if you have the time to give.  Serving our school community as a board of education member is the highest level of service you can give to the children and families of our school community.  We need great people to step up and serve.

View Profile   IP Logged
in.the.know
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/02/10 at 12:40pm

I'm sorry AKA but if I'm not mistaken the Hoover wrestling team and it's coach were honered at the board meeting for winning state. I simply brought up the fact that there has been some realy bad rumors going around about the man and his involvment with one of his kids mothers. For a fact I know 2 wrestlers one a returning state champ both quit the team.I also know there was a big meeting between the athletic director and all the parents concerning the issue. I just Figured you as well as another lady on this forum being the champions of the students and the poor teachers and of those to scared to speek on ther on behalf would want to get to the bottom of this matter. Instead of worring about who the next board member that your going to get to vilify is going to be, Maybe you should focus your attention on things going on in the here and now....Sorry but now you've made me thread jack. On another note have you ever been tested for bipolarism..

IP Logged
aka_deplume

"Smug"

Reply #5 - 03/02/10 at 1:15pm

Quote from in.the.know on 03/02/10 at 12:40pm:
I'm sorry AKA but if I'm not mistaken the Hoover wrestling team and it's coach were honered at the board meeting for winning state. I simply brought up the fact that there has been some realy bad rumors going around about the man and his involvment with one of his kids mothers. For a fact I know 2 wrestlers one a returning state champ both quit the team.I also know there was a big meeting between the athletic director and all the parents concerning the issue. I just Figured you as well as another lady on this forum being the champions of the students and the poor teachers and of those to scared to speek on ther on behalf would want to get to the bottom of this matter. Instead of worring about who the next board member that your going to get to vilify is going to be, Maybe you should focus your attention on things going on in the here and now....Sorry but now you've made me thread jack. On another note have you ever been tested for bipolarism..

First, no, I have not been tested.  Perhaps one of your co-workers would like to do so.  Or perhaps you would, though you're probably too busy checking out rumors.

Speaking of rumors, if you're so knowlegeable of what happened on that wrestling team, here's a number and an e-mail address of someone you should contact about it:
205-325-2118
 tray@bhamnews.com
 That's Tiffany Ray of the Birmingham News.  I'm sure she'd love to write an article about it.  Coming from an "inside" source like you, it would probably carry a lot of weight.  So, in the know:  Put up or shut up.  I don't think you have it in you to go further than this forum.  Then again, you don't have it in you to do much of anything, which has been your MO for decades now.

I'm into lyrics today, ITK, and just ran across this song that reminded me so much of you.  It's called "Take the Money and Run" by The Steve Miller Band.  The verse that reminded me of you:

Billy Mac, is a
detective down in Texas
And though he knows just exactly what the facts is
He ain't gonna
let those two escape justice
He makes his livin' off of other people's taxes

Ironic, isn't it?

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles."
Sun Tsu, The Art of War

View Profile   IP Logged
in.the.know
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/02/10 at 4:09pm

AK, exactly who do you think I am??? And if I am who you think I am then why would I bring up Such a controversial topic. Please enlighten the forum. WHO AM I??????????????

IP Logged
aka_deplume

"Smug"

Reply #7 - 03/02/10 at 4:36pm

Quote from in.the.know on 03/02/10 at 4:09pm:
AK, exactly who do you think I am??? And if I am who you think I am then why would I bring up Such a controversial topic. Please enlighten the forum. WHO AM I??????????????

According to YOU, you are "in.the.know", you have implied since day 1 on this forum that you are on the "inside", therefore I must deduce that you are paid by the taxpayers.  In other words "living off other people's taxes".

Who you are exactly, I have no idea, and frankly I don't care.  I know if I were your boss and saw what you were posting here, you'd be fired.  On the spot.

I'm really, really sorry that I was baited into this exchange with you because you have successfully hijacked this thread, which is a shame.

Sun Tsu, The Art of War

View Profile   IP Logged
checkitout
Hoover Forum Freshman

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #8 - 03/02/10 at 5:43pm

Thank you in the know for proving that AKA does not know what he's talking about. Clearly if he did he would have rose to the challenge you set before him and named you. In his earlier comments he clearly acted like he knew your true identity and I quote   "Then again, you don't have it in you to do much of anything, which has been your MO for decades now".Maybe this is some kind of attempt at intimidation.I'm not sure but I think AKA could learn something from an old saying my daddy used to tell me, It's better to keep your mouth shut and let every one think your an idiot than to open it and take away all doubt. Thanks for bringing the coaching situation at the high school up as my son participates in the youth wrestling league. I'll be looking in to this to see if there is any merit behind these rumors..

View Profile   IP Logged
in.the.know
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/02/10 at 6:05pm

Thank you AKA for making my point you have no idea of who I am. FYI I do work for the city I have not done so for even one "DECADE" much less "DECADES".I also live in Hoover and have for "DECADES" so I wonder does that make me self-employed? if I go by your reasoning and I live in Hoover and I pay taxes in Hoover than yes,yes I am most definitely self-employed Heck!!! if thats the case and it's all the same to you instead of firing myself I think I might l just give myself a raise, after all it is my tax money...

IP Logged
Deep_Throat
Hoover Forum Freshman

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #10 - 03/03/10 at 8:44am

Interesting how these 2 posters always seem to be on at the same time.

Do you 2 know each other?

TIC

View Profile   IP Logged
HSCIN II

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #11 - 03/03/10 at 9:55am

To the Admin, could you please move the posts about the wrestling coach to a new thread?  This certainly does warrant discussion by any who might have information or want more information about this.  I've seen posts moved before, and perhaps this would be a good one to move?

In.the.know, this obviously means a lot to you.  You don't appear to be intimidated about speaking out, and I would strongly encourage you to move forward and contact the news media.  Often, the media are the only ones who actually have the power to make an issue out of something.  I would have hoped that other parents in the organization would be willing to help you, but it doesn't appear they have the courage that you do.  Reporters often work with "anonymous" sources if they can verify the information through a known source.  A phone call to Ms. Ray would certainly get the ball rolling.

Good luck.

View Profile   IP Logged
BucStopsHere

Luke 12:2-3

Reply #12 - 03/03/10 at 12:44pm

Quote from in.the.know on 03/02/10 at 7:19am:

I know absolutely nothing about this situation, but would like to make a general comment. I hate affairs and I don't like what divorces do to kids. BUT, I don't think there is any school policy that would prevent an employee from having such an affair, and unless an offensive act is committed on school property and/or on school time I don't think the school has any business getting involved here. Someone please correct me if such a policy exists.

View Profile   IP Logged
HSCIN II

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #13 - 03/03/10 at 2:13pm

No, there is no school policy against having affairs.  It is morally repugnant, but the only judgment adulterers face is the Final Judgment.  There are no social consequences.  There aren't any legal consequences.  This is a social ill that is ruining our country.  And that's all I'm going to say about this.

The only court is the court of public opinion.  Which is why, if in.the.know wants to make this an issue, the media is the only outlet.

View Profile   IP Logged
CrystalClear
Hoover Forum Freshman

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #14 - 03/28/10 at 11:47pm

As a parent of a future HHS wrestler, I DO NOT want this man to "coach" my child.  Whether an affair is in some rule book or not, it is nasty and students should not be around someone like this.  The children are the ones who are always disregarded for adult pleasure and ego.   I know many parents have tried to get rid of him.  Yes, HHS won the state wrestling championship, BUT it is the wrestlers that did the work.  The coach was obviously "busy" doing something else and taking credit for what the students accomplished.  He should be ashamed, do the RIGHT thing for a change and resign.

View Profile   IP Logged
googling

Proud Parent of a US
Army Infantry
Soldier

Reply #15 - 03/29/10 at 9:41am

Application cut-off is Wednesday, March. 31 at 5pm.  As of today, Monday, only one application has been turned in, but they expect a flurry on the last day.

View Profile   IP Logged
BucStopsHere

Reply #16 - 03/29/10 at 12:56pm

Quote from googling on 03/29/10 at 9:41am:
Application cut-off is Wednesday, March. 31 at 5pm.  As of today, Monday, only one application has been turned in, but they expect a flurry on the last day.

I suspect I know who the 1 application is from, and I hope the CC tosses it out and continues down the path of improvement that they started 2 years ago.  

View Profile   IP Logged
googling

Proud Parent of a US
Army Infantry
Soldier

Reply #17 - 04/01/10 at 11:34am

The four applicants for the Board of Education opening are:

Donna Frazier
Barry Thomas
Terry Young
Arnold Singer

View Profile   IP Logged
HSCIN II

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #18 - 04/01/10 at 12:02pm

Four people.  Thank you to those who put their name in the hat.  It takes good people willing to step up into public positions to affect change and to maintain excellence.  

At least it won't take long for interviews!

View Profile   IP Logged
googling

Proud Parent of a US
Army Infantry
Soldier

Reply #19 - 04/01/10 at 7:18pm

I attended the work session of the City Council tonight.

Mr. Ivey announced that there were four applicants for the Board of Education opening and he has set the following schedule:

Interviews will begin at 2:30 pm on Thursday, April 15, 2010 in the William J. Billingsley Council Chambers.  Each interview will last approx. 20-30 minutes.  After the interviews the council will have their work session.  The new Board of Education member will be announced at the regular council meeting on April 19, 2010 at 6 pm.

View Profile   IP Logged
aka_deplume

"Smug"

Reply #20 - 04/10/10 at 7:34pm

So hhsoutlaw on the other forum wants Barry Thomas to get the appointment...now why would that be?  What does Barry Thomas bring to the BoE that the Friends of Rush can use?  

Very interesting!

8785. BOE should have at least a college 4 year degree

8784. Post about the new BOE member  

Sun Tsu, The Art of War

View Profile   IP Logged
BucStopsHere

Reply #21 - 04/11/10 at 8:29am

I don't know what the academic backgrounds of any of the 3 new candidates are, or what side of town they are from for that matter. But, in my opinion, it's ridiculous to consider putting uneducated people on a Board of Education. Part of the BOE's job is to ensure our children are prepped for college. How can you do that if you have no frame of reference?!?

View Profile   IP Logged
hibousage

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #22 - 04/11/10 at 9:52am

Quote from aka_deplume on 04/10/10 at 7:34pm:
So hhsoutlaw on the other forum wants Barry Thomas to get the appointment...now why would that be?  What does Barry Thomas bring to the BoE that the Friends of Rush can use?  

Very interesting!

Outlaw is a LSU fan?

No immediate connection comes to mind...

And in general, I would think that a school board that sees the value in education for the students they oversee, would also see it's value in the adults that serve on it.  Is that the only factor to be considered?  Of course not.  But it should definitely be a factor.  So should job and volunteer experience.  Character.  It's all part of the package.

And BSH...I don't think it's the board's job to get students ready for college, it's to get them ready for whatever comes next.  That everyone in Hoover is going to college attitude gets us in trouble often.  Not everyone should or even wants to go to college.  We should prepare the students for the direction they want to take with their life.  Sure, it's HS, and many of them don't know...but some do...and they should not be overlooked or forgotten, or pushed along the same exact path.

Each morning, take time to imagine the person you want to be.
View Profile   IP Logged
googling

Proud Parent of a US
Army Infantry
Soldier

Reply #23 - 04/11/10 at 12:12pm

Quote from hibousage on 04/11/10 at 9:52am:
Quote from aka_deplume on 04/10/10 at 7:34pm:

Very interesting!

Outlaw is a LSU fan?

No immediate connection comes to mind...

And in general, I would think that a school board that sees the value in education for the students they oversee, would also see it's value in the adults that serve on it.  Is that the only factor to be considered?  Of course not.  But it should definitely be a factor.  So should job and volunteer experience.  Character.  It's all part of the package.

And BSH...I don't think it's the board's job to get students ready for college, it's to get them ready for whatever comes next.  That everyone in Hoover is going to college attitude gets us in trouble often.  Not everyone should or even wants to go to college.  We should prepare the students for the direction they want to take with their life.  Sure, it's HS, and many of them don't know...but some do...and they should not be overlooked or forgotten, or pushed along the same exact path.

Mrs. Baker, as a school board member, was under the impression that all of the children who attended our high schools went on to college.  When I spoke to her about it in 2007, she was completely floored that not everyone did.  This made no sense to her.

BucStopsHere, you and I agree on many things, but this is not one of them.  "Uneducated" is a very disparaging term to use on someone who did not receive a college degree.  

I know many people with a four and six-year degree who are currently either unemployed or doing things that their degrees did not prepare them for...like waiting tables.

In 1981 the dean of a very prestigious university said during the commencement of the graduating class (and I paraphrase) "You will now all find out why it's called a BS degree".

In not way should you interpret my comments here to indicate that a degree is not important, however, a degree does not measure whether or not a person is "educated" or not.

In my three years of observing the Hoover Board of Education I was fully aware that Mrs. Frazier did not have a college degree.  Frankly, at times she ran circles around those that did.  Sometimes common sense trumps a "formal education".

Knowing three of the four candidates personally, I can assure you that the college degree part is not, and shouldn't be, a determining factor in choosing the next member.

View Profile   IP Logged
BucStopsHere

Reply #24 - 04/11/10 at 5:22pm

I said part of the BOE's job is to get kids ready for college. True not every Hoover kid goes to college but most in Hoover do, and our kids should have the same preparation as others from the best schools in the state. Every year we compete w/ the likes of Mt Brook & VH for teachers and we have to be able to attract and keep the very best. It all starts w/ the BOE, who they hire to administer the schools, and the academic curriculum they approve. A BOE member who never attended college has no clue what it takes to succeed at that level of education, and thus is underprepared to manage toward helping anyone aspiring to advance their education beyond HS.

Quote from googling on 04/11/10 at 12:12pm:
BucStopsHere, you and I agree on many things, but this is not one of them.  "Uneducated" is a very disparaging term to use on someone who did not receive a college degree.  

I know many people with a four and six-year degree who are currently either unemployed or doing things that their degrees did not prepare them for...like waiting tables. In 1981 the dean of a very prestigious university said during the commencement of the graduating class (and I paraphrase) "You will now all find out why it's called a BS degree".
In not way should you interpret my comments here to indicate that a degree is not important, however, a degree does not measure whether or not a person is "educated" or not.

In my three years of observing the Hoover Board of Education I was fully aware that Mrs. Frazier did not have a college degree.  Frankly, at times she ran circles around those that did.  Sometimes common sense trumps a "formal education".

We'll just have to disagree on the value of a good post-secondary education. For the BOE a good field would be a degree in education or business. I hope we never see another lawyer on the BOE. Lawyers working for free just don't seem to put in a lot of extra effort.  

Volunteering to serve on the BOE is very unlike serving on a charity board. Some are simply more fit for the former and som for the latter.

View Profile   IP Logged
googling

Proud Parent of a US
Army Infantry
Soldier

Reply #25 - 04/11/10 at 8:29pm

Quote from BucStopsHere on 04/11/10 at 5:22pm:

I said part of the BOE's job is to get kids ready for college. True not every Hoover kid goes to college but most in Hoover do, and our kids should have the same preparation as others from the best schools in the state. Every year we compete w/ the likes of Mt Brook & VH for teachers and we have to be able to attract and keep the very best. It all starts w/ the BOE, who they hire to administer the schools, and the academic curriculum they approve. A BOE member who never attended college has no clue what it takes to succeed at that level of education, and thus is underprepared to manage toward helping anyone aspiring to advance their education beyond HS.

I assume your sentence "It all starts w/ the BOE, who they hire to administer the schools, and the academic curriculum they approve.".  means "Who the BoE hires to administer the schools, and who they hire to approve the curriculum." and not "The BoE is hired to administer the schools and to approve the academic curriculum."?

I would have to say it's preposterous to assume that someone who did not spend 4+ years in college has "no clue what it takes to succeed at that level of education...".  Going to college is not a spectacular achievement.  Actually there are many who graduate from college who don't know how to put complete sentences together.  75% of the NFL players come to mind.

Let's now look at some people out there who don't have a college degree who know a thing or two about business:

Mary Kay Ash
Richard Branson
Michael Dell
Walt Disney (high school drop-out)
Henry Ford (high school drop-out)
Bill Gates
Milton Hershey
Steve Jobs
Ty Warner
Frank Lloyd Wright

Here's a 100 more.

I once attended a banquet with a number of very prominent, famous people.  A majority of them were in the athletic field and they were there to honor one of their own.  Before the main event began, one of these invited participants, a graduate of one of our state universities (I won't reveal the name, but suffice it to say they have more national championship than their main rival), leaned over to me and asked me to read the menu to him.  The man couldn't read!  And he had a degree!

Some jobs require a degree.  I wouldn't want a doctor working on me who didn't attend med school.  I wouldn't want my prescription filled by a person who didn't attend pharmacy school.  I wouldn't want to be represented in court by someone who didn't attend law school.  But I'll take Steve Jobs to run my company over those who ran GM and Chrysler into the ground any day of the week.  And I'd rather have Bill Gates run my IT department over anyone with a college degree, or two or five.

Our Board of Education is there to set policy, not to administer the schools.  That's why we hire those with master's degrees as principals.  Do I think the entire Central Office staff should have degrees in education?  Absolutely.  Do I think that the Board members need one also?  Not at all.  Donna Frazier does not have a degree.  She runs a successful business.  Arnold Singer does not have a degree.  He ran a successful company.  Terry Young does not have a degree.  He runs a successful business.  Barry Thomas has a degree.  He is the CFO of a company.  They are not out of business and I've dealt with them for four years, so I'll assume his company is successful.  

Now let me take you back three years.  Some very bad financial decisions were made during that time.  Any idea who spearheaded them?  I'll give you a clue.  They had a college degree.

Finally, let's look at some local school background of these candidates.

Terry Young -  Loves Spain Park HS.  Two years ago he wanted to give a Mercedes Benz to the student with the highest GPA at SP.  He wrote a letter to Billy Broadway explaining his motivation behind the move.  Luckily it was shot down by Mr. Sweeney, who felt it would send the wrong message to the public.

Donna Frazier - Loves Spain Park HS.  Mrs. Frazier supported Mr. Young's "donation" and considers him one of her "closest friends".

Arnold Singer - Has no relatives in any Hoover school.  No bias, no allegiance.

Barry Thomas - Treasurer of the Hoover HS Band Boosters.  Of course this might explain hhsoutlaw's support of him, and perhaps yours also, BSH.  Boosters tend to stick together.  Unfortunately that type of thinking got us in trouble a few years ago.

You know what I really liked about the last two appointments?  There was no perceived school affiliation, just a City of Hoover affiliation.  In order to get back to a neutral school board, we need to stop with the rah-rah of "my high school is better than yours" and appoint people who care more about all of the kids in our school system than if Hoover beat SP or if SP beat Hoover.  Only one candidate can bring that type of thinking to the table.  Only one.    

View Profile   IP Logged
BucStopsHere

Reply #26 - 04/11/10 at 8:51pm

Just to be clear, I know nothing about any of the 3 new candidates, I have not met any of them and am not prone to support one over another simply because of some allegiance to one HS or the other. I still stand behind my statement that a secondary degree in education or business is of value (especially beyond the BS level), all else being equal, and I realize that there are many examples of successful people that never attended college.  

If I owned a company I would hire directors that had business training and preferably related to my industry. If I ran a charity I may be willing to fill the board w/ warm eager bodies.

Not much else I can say about this topic.

View Profile   IP Logged
aka_deplume

"Smug"

Reply #27 - 07/13/11 at 12:22pm

From the "Where Are They Now" department:

http://blog.al.com/businessnews/2011/07/former_cfo_of_central_leasing.html

Well, at least he's got a college degree

Sun Tsu, The Art of War

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print