Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
THE Hoover Forum
05/16/24 at 9:49pm
News: Welcome to THE Hoover Forum - Check here for the forum rules.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gov. Petelos?? (Read 2092 times)
aka_deplume
Hoover Forum All-Star Member

"Smug"

Gov. Petelos??
04/29/09 at 2:49pm

Hoover mayor considering run for governor.

No comment from underpaid BoE members.  Yet.

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles."
Sun Tsu, The Art of War

View Profile   IP Logged
HSCIN
Ex Member

Re: Gov. Petelos??
Reply #1 - 04/30/09 at 4:53pm

This has been batted around for years.  My state-level contacts tell me that Petelos has no chance....and these are from folks in the Republican party at the state level.  They claim that the Hoover Board of Education situation has made it all but impossible for him to get on the ticket.  

Also, I think it would be a pretty tough sell to the state-level "schoolies"....remember how he led the school funding cut of 2005?  And....the Mayor and the Council are getting ready to cut the schools again.

Artur Davis will eat that up.  He will ram that so far down Petelos' throat it will be painful to watch.

But then again.....could that be the ultimate justice?  I have to smile when I think about it.....

IP Logged
blast123

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #2 - 05/02/09 at 8:02am

Depends on who else runs from the PuB party.

As far as Arttttttur Davvis, everybody is pushing his "fraternity" with the your El presidente- Obama and the US AG Eric Holder down his throat.

That's more dangerous the school systems funds cut at Hoover.

View Profile   IP Logged
HSCIN
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/02/09 at 8:56am

Political differences aside, I believe the school funding cut will ultimately be Petelos' undoing at the state level.  Politicians are always looking for the Achilles heel to take their opponent down.  I believe the school funding cut is Petelos' Achilles heel.  

Oddly poetic.  

And please don't refer to Obama as "my" president.  He is "the" president.  Word is still out on whether I'll claim him.  Most folks don't know this, but I'm actually a conservative.  Always have been.  

Conservative fiscal policy.  Moderate social policy.  I haven't seen anybody who fits "my" bill yet.

IP Logged
blast123

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #4 - 05/02/09 at 10:26am

Every candidate running for political office has a Achilles heel as vividly pointed out by their opponents.

The question is to what "degree" or how resolving is the explanation of such "Achilles heel" is to the voting constituents.

Then the decision comes back to the education of your electoral body.

In this case the cutting of schools funds in Hoover is small compared to the "fratanizing" of Arttttur w/ Obama, Acorn, and AG Eric Holder.

View Profile   IP Logged
aka_deplume

"Smug"

Reply #5 - 05/02/09 at 12:33pm

Quote from HSCIN on 05/02/09 at 8:56am:
Political differences aside, I believe the school funding cut will ultimately be Petelos' undoing at the state level.  Politicians are always looking for the Achilles heel to take their opponent down.  I believe the school funding cut is Petelos' Achilles heel.  

Oddly poetic.  

And please don't refer to Obama as "my" president.  He is "the" president.  Word is still out on whether I'll claim him.  Most folks don't know this, but I'm actually a conservative.  Always have been.  

Conservative fiscal policy.  Moderate social policy.  I haven't seen anybody who fits "my" bill yet.

You're making the assumption that most people vote with their brain and vote on the issues.  I would beg to differ with you on that.  Most people vote on emotion and on the candidate's charisma - is he likeable.

Take a look at the last five presidents:

Reagan vs. Carter:  Reagan was clearly the more charismatic of the two.  
Bush vs. Dukakis: Dukakis was too much of a stoic individual, had zero personality.  People were turned off by this.
Clinton vs. Bush: Say what you want about Bubba, when it came to charisma, he had it.  He made people forget about the issues.
Bush vs. Gore: A tree has a better personality than Al Gore, but it was a close one.
Obama vs. McCain: "I have a gift..."

We don't know what's going to happen next year and who is going to run.  We know Davis is.  We know Petelos is thinking about it.  We know Barkley is a drunk who would never make it.  But we don't know who else is going to run.

Tony Petelos runs circles around Artur Davis when it comes to charisma.  He is well liked by most of his constituents and issues like school funding are secondary - those are "brain issues" not "emotion issues".  Obama is a prime example that most people don't vote with their brain, they vote with their heart.  (Exception:  when you are disappointed about who you voted for because he/she didn't come through as you thought they would.  This is where charisma takes a back seat.  Obama will find this out next election as he becomes another 1-Termer, like Carter and Bush 41.)

But it's early and so much more is to come.  But an interesting discussion, nonetheless.

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles."
Sun Tsu, The Art of War

View Profile   IP Logged
hibousage

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #6 - 05/02/09 at 2:11pm

Quote from aka_deplume on 05/02/09 at 12:33pm:

Tony Petelos runs circles around Artur Davis when it comes to charisma.  He is well liked by most of his constituents and issues like school funding are secondary - those are "brain issues" not "emotion issues".  Obama is a prime example that most people don't vote with their brain, they vote with their heart.  (Exception:  when you are disappointed about who you voted for because he/she didn't come through as you thought they would.  This is where charisma takes a back seat.  Obama will find this out next election as he becomes another 1-Termer, like Carter and Bush 41.)

But it's early and so much more is to come.  But an interesting discussion, nonetheless.

You really think so?  Most times I have seen Petelos on TV, he has that 'deer in the headlight' look going.

Each morning, take time to imagine the person you want to be.
View Profile   IP Logged
aka_deplume

"Smug"

Reply #7 - 05/02/09 at 3:56pm

Quote from hibousage on 05/02/09 at 2:11pm:
Quote from aka_deplume on 05/02/09 at 12:33pm:

You really think so?  Most times I have seen Petelos on TV, he has that 'deer in the headlight' look going.

I won't disagree with you on the "look", however, if charisma were measured in points, with the max being 100 and the minimum being 0, Mr. Davis is in the single digits (being generous) and Mr. Petelos is in the high 30s.  Now, throw Clinton into the mix and then you have a different story.  Now, if we were talking intelligence, then Mr. Davis would probably give Mr. Petelos a good run for his money.  But we're not.  And when voters go to the polls, they don't count brains either.  They vote for who they like, not for who's smartest.  

Sun Tsu, The Art of War

View Profile   IP Logged
blast123

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #8 - 05/03/09 at 3:09am

I am sure before this discussion is ended another factor will surface. And most people will play this one down because it is not PC during the 21st century.

However the last Presidential Election showed statics on the exit polls as to the race of the voter and also the age of the specified race voter.

This was historical in nature because of the Media's preference to Obama as the Messiah, the Savior, the one to change the world.  

Well he is changing the World and God help us with the outcome.

View Profile   IP Logged
HSCIN
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 05/18/09 at 10:51pm

http://blog.al.com/hoover/2009/05/hoover_mayor_tony_petelos_says.html

Aw.  I was really looking forward to Artur Davis and Mayor Petelos duking it out.  Maybe 2014?

IP Logged
blast123

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #10 - 05/19/09 at 10:49am

Out at the Regions Classic the mayor was there and Matt Murphy interviewed him and Tony is "back peddling" on the candidacy for Govern.

Tony said the 10 to 15 million $$$$ to raise would take him away from his family and would be difficult to do. My observation would be the stressed economy.

The charitable gifts from the Regions Classic was also down from previous years.

View Profile   IP Logged
indianchief2
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #11 - 05/19/09 at 2:11pm

Radio news this morning stated that Petelos has stepped out of the race for family reasons.

That was wonderful news to me.

Bloom where you are planted.
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print