Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
THE Hoover Forum
05/16/24 at 9:19pm
News: Welcome to THE Hoover Forum - Check here for the forum rules.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
No Questions (Read 1108 times)
forpeace
Hoover Forum JV

THE Hoover Forum

No Questions
08/13/08 at 7:38pm

I find it interesting that we have people who are running for city council that are willing to answer questions, but we don't seem to have many questions to ask them!  Any thoughts on why that is?

View Profile   IP Logged
aka_deplume
Hoover Forum All-Star Member

"Smug"

Re: No Questions
Reply #1 - 08/13/08 at 8:02pm

Quote from forpeace on 08/13/08 at 7:38pm:
I find it interesting that we have people who are running for city council that are willing to answer questions, but we don't seem to have many questions to ask them!  Any thoughts on why that is?

You used the term "interesting".  I came up with a bunch of terms to describe this:  disturbing, disgusting, sad, pathetic.  It really doesn't get any easier than this to talk to these candidates (unless they're sitting in your living room, of course) and we're not taking advantage of it.

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles."
Sun Tsu, The Art of War

View Profile   IP Logged
HSCIN
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/14/08 at 11:03am

It's interesting for a few reasons.  I won't reveal the councilman's name who used to say this, but he used to tell me "Trish, the reason nobody shows up for these meetings is cause they're satisfied with how the city runs itself."  I was particularly disappointed with "the public" when the first round of Board of Education interviews were held in 2006.  Nobody showed up.  Course, I had a feeling they wouldn't.  And they didn't.  This is when this councilman first starting using that logic.  In fact, I believe he was quoted in the paper as saying that folks must be satisfied and that's why they don't bother...kind of like "they trust us to make the right decision, so they don't need to look over our shoulders."  

Hmmm.

I happened to be watching the news earlier this week when a Birmingham City Council meeting was being covered.  Guess what?  Nobody in the audience.  I guess those folks in the city of Birmingham are pretty satisfied with their quality of life.  Or maybe they just trust the folks in charge to make the decisions since things are going so well for them.

IP Logged
scambuster
Hoover Forum Rookie

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #3 - 08/14/08 at 2:10pm

Some 50 years ago, Walt Kelly, a  comic satirist, said it best:  "We Have Met The Enemy And He Is Us."

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print