Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
THE Hoover Forum
05/16/24 at 11:58pm
News: Welcome to THE Hoover Forum - Check here for the forum rules.
Home Help Search Login

Poll
Question: Do you believe the Hoover Board of Education should be:
*** This poll has now closed ***

Appointed  
  24 (61.5%)
Elected  
  15 (38.4%)

Total votes: 39
« Created by: HSCIN on: 06/10/08 at 9:09pm »

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Your Opinion, Please (Read 6141 times)
HSCIN
Ex Member

Your Opinion, Please
06/10/08 at 9:09pm

The HSCIN will conduct a survey/poll on the HSCIN site in the near future, but just out of curiosity, we would appreciate your vote in this poll.

The votes will be hidden until the poll is closed.

This poll is open to guests as well as registered members.  All votes are anonymous.

This poll will be open until June 30, 2008.

IP Logged
my2cents
Hoover Forum All-Star Member

THE Hoover Forum

Re: Your Opinion, Please
Reply #1 - 06/10/08 at 10:34pm

Are we suppose to vote as if the current CC is in place?  I do not want to complicate the question......but we got SB and AW from the current CC.....

View Profile   IP Logged
HSCIN
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/11/08 at 8:10am

An elected board will be a permanent move.  Regardless of the Council that is in place.  This is a serious decision that cannot be made lightly.  It's a long process to move to an elected board, and you're stuck with an elected board once you move there.  Some school districts are attempting to move back to appointed boards, and some are going with combination elected and appointed positions.  

Vote with the idea that it's a permanent move regardless of who sits in the Council seats.

IP Logged
my2cents

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #3 - 06/11/08 at 8:26am

Quote from HSCIN on 06/11/08 at 8:10am:
An elected board will be a permanent move.  Regardless of the Council that is in place.  This is a serious decision that cannot be made lightly.  It's a long process to move to an elected board, and you're stuck with an elected board once you move there.  Some school districts are attempting to move back to appointed boards, and some are going with combination elected and appointed positions.  

Vote with the idea that it's a permanent move regardless of who sits in the Council seats.

Thank you.  This is a very hard decision.  If Hoover residents can't elect a CC that supports our schools, I am not sure we could elect a school board that functions for the betterment of Hoover.

View Profile   IP Logged
tkr2007
Hoover Forum Freshman

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #4 - 06/11/08 at 8:37am

Either way, elected or appointed, there will be problems. I just believe that if the Board is elected they will at least attempt to make decisions that the majority of voters agree with. It appears as if the current BOE members feel all powerful and really do not care what the citizens think.

View Profile   IP Logged
blast123

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #5 - 06/11/08 at 9:12am

The representative of the School Network mentioned some communities going to combination elected and appointed. Could the individual please elaborate?

Would that be elect the SUPT. let the Council do their thing w/ the B of ED?

That would be a true stand alone SUPT. who has the support of the community and yes the good blessings of the Board.

Plus he(she) would have a $184,000 " higher ed contract " beholding to the constitutes.

View Profile   IP Logged
blast123

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #6 - 06/11/08 at 9:24am

As Appointees they are BEHOLDING to the (sp)appointers! And that is only initially then don't be concern until you move up 4 years later to PRES. automatically, where you will leave a legacy. I wonder ^^^^^ what will D.Frasier legacy be?

View Profile   IP Logged
HSCIN
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/11/08 at 9:25am

I have been made aware of districts (looking for the specifics as we speak) that have a combination of elected and appointed board seats.  Generally they are very large districts, from my understanding.  Something like 4 elected, 3 appointed.

Dr. Joe Dean, former board member, stated that he has seen the elected board, appointed superintendent model work well.  I have had a lot of discussion with folks at various levels about moving to an elected board.  Again, it's not something to be done as a reaction to a bad appointment (or two or three or four), but as a way to better govern a school system.

I don't know if we're there yet.  I don't know if an elected board would be any better representative of the folks who make up the system.  

Hence the question for y'all.

IP Logged
HSCIN
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/11/08 at 2:15pm

http://hooverforum.com/hoover/YaBB.pl?num=1213211359

For more information regarding appointed versus elected city boards of education.

IP Logged
HSCIN
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 06/11/08 at 3:00pm

Quote from HSCIN on 06/11/08 at 9:25am:
I have been made aware of districts (looking for the specifics as we speak) that have a combination of elected and appointed board seats.  Generally they are very large districts, from my understanding.  Something like 4 elected, 3 appointed. 

Here's what I found from the Education Commission of the States website:

In Oakland, California, 3 of the 10 local school board members for the Oakland school district are appointed by the mayor, and 7 of the 10 members are elected.  

In New York City 5 of the 13 members are appointed by the 5 borough presidents and 8 of the 13 members, including the chancellor of public instruction who serves as chairperson, are appointed by the mayor.

These are the only two boards of education in the country that the ECS stated are a combination of elected and appointed board of education members.

IP Logged
HooverHooch 2
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 06/11/08 at 3:53pm

In these cases, what are the differences in the schools between appointed vs elected?

IP Logged
HSCIN
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 06/12/08 at 8:31am

Not sure I understand your question, HH2.  Could you clarify?

IP Logged
blast123

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #12 - 06/12/08 at 8:52am

I am going to help clarify HH2, or make it worst we will find out!

Were the schools w/appointed BOARDS BETTER  in delivering the education needed for student achievement OR

Were the schools w/elected Boards better at that endeavor?

If I did a poor job HH2, I still like your "kicking a dead horse".

View Profile   IP Logged
HSCIN
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 06/12/08 at 12:17pm

The research shows that neither form of governance actually produces better results than the other.  The determining factor in how successful schools are is how their community embraces them (or not).  One of those links (the one with the advantages and disadvantages of each type, I believe) states that very clearly.  And that's what all of the research shows as well.  

It doesn't matter which form you have as long as the community believes in that form of governance.

Hence the question.  Which do we want?

IP Logged
HooverHooch 2
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 06/13/08 at 5:16pm

If neither produces better results than the other, then, isn't there something else we need to focus our time on?

Just asking...

IP Logged
hibousage

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #15 - 06/13/08 at 7:03pm

I'm not sure one is better than the other, but we need to know what the recall rules are.  Surely, there is some method whether they are appointed or elected to recall bad selections.

Each morning, take time to imagine the person you want to be.
View Profile   IP Logged
HSCIN
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 06/13/08 at 8:57pm

Quote from HSCIN on 06/12/08 at 12:17pm:

It doesn't matter which form you have as long as the community believes in that form of governance.

Read this again, HH.  The community will only stand behind its public schools if it believes in the mission of the schools and has faith in the leadership, which includes the board of education.  Hoover schools are still doing fairly well, but are not moving forward as we continue to get mired down in details that should not be distracting us from the mission of educating children.  Having a governing body that the community believes is acting in the best interest of ALL of the children is imperative to garnering success and moving forward in the face of the challenges we face.

My question is, does this community still believe in the appointed board form of governance?  

IP Logged
blast123

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #17 - 06/13/08 at 10:40pm

I think with a little more research you will find that the Madison County Board of ED is an elected board or at least their supertinenant was elected.

It is interesting to note this is where Mr. Bill Broardway came from prior to his happening in Hoover. It is interesting  also to note that he was voted OUT of office and another candidate won the next term as SUPT. of Madison County School System. ( BILLY only one term)

I would like to put a disclaimer on this info. because it was given to me third hand from a teacher in that System who has numerous stories to tell of the Mr. "sky the limit" Billy Broardway.

PLEASE CORRECT ME IF THIS INFO. IS NOT VALID!!

View Profile   IP Logged
blast123

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #18 - 06/13/08 at 10:41pm

supert..... is misspell. that is why I use SUPT.

View Profile   IP Logged
HSCIN
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 06/24/08 at 3:52pm

29 votes so far.  29.  Anybody else out there with an opinion?  I'm closing this on June 30th.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print