Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
THE Hoover Forum
05/21/24 at 1:11am
News: Welcome to THE Hoover Forum - Check here for the forum rules.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Parks and Rec wants to keep use of Berry fields (Read 6824 times)
hoover1990
Hoover Forum All-Star Member

THE Hoover Forum

Parks and Rec wants to keep use of Berry fields
12/09/07 at 9:00pm

Well, here we are at the big question again.  Which is more important in Hoover?  Education or athletics?

Classrooms or ball fields?  Which will it be, City Council?

View Profile   IP Logged
slab
Hoover Forum JV

THE Hoover Forum

Re: Parks and Rec wants to keep use of Berry field
Reply #1 - 12/09/07 at 11:00pm

Quote from hoover1990 on 12/09/07 at 9:00pm:
Well, here we are at the big question again.  Which is more important in Hoover?  Education or athletics?

Classrooms or ball fields?  Which will it be, City Council?

How in the world do you draw this entire matter down to an issue between academics and athletics?  Its much larger than that!

The fields and gyms are Berry are being used extensively for recreational sports for children and adults in the city of Hoover.  Our city has a major shortage of such recreational fields.  Since the proposal to sell the campus involved the purchase of the ball fields by Vestavia it quickly brought attention to the need that our city has.  Why should we sell an asset that is in use and that is needed by our city?

Now if our BOE needed money or had a pressing capital project that needed funding that might be a different matter. But they don't and there is plenty of money in the bank.  

Additionally there have been plenty of instances where the CC has given land to the BOE, or required developers to give land to the BOE as a condition of zoning or approval of a development plan.  Some consideration should be given to the CC's possible uses for the property.  The BOE is part of our city, they need to act like it.

If the BOE moves to sell this property as proposed I hope the CC will refuse to de-annex the land from Hoover.  

View Profile   IP Logged
hoover1990

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #2 - 12/10/07 at 6:32am

slab, your post proves my point.

You could be the spokesperson for the "Fields, Not Classrooms" movement.

But don't take my word for it -- talk to Gary Ivey.  I have.  I have heard the dripping contempt he has for education.  Talk to Tom Defnall.  He'll tell you that the school system can't afford to build a third high school -- that it would not be "fiscally responsible".  Talk to Gary McBay.  Ask him about how they are about to rezone the Deer Valley students who live in Russet Woods (again) because they can't afford to build the long-promised new elementary school in Ross Bridge.

Look at the schools' finances for yourself.  The budget includes debt service payments of $16,000,000 this year.  It costs $11,000,000 just to operate the system for ONE MONTH.

Portable classrooms for Bumpus were brought up at the Capital Planning committee meeting.  Portable classrooms!

The Mayor and Council installed a school board and superintendent that would be compliant with their wishes and carry out their priorities.  Those priorities can be clearly seen in the actions of the board.  The financial stability of the system has deteriorated, and fast, and yet the City keeps saying, "Everything's fine."  The Council does not understand, nor care about, the difference between 21 kids in a class and 29 kids in a class.  They don't care about a lunch period that spans from 10:00 until 1:30, because it's not their children waiting until 1:30 to eat.  

Hundreds of new houses have been approved by this City Council.  There is no place to put the kids from those new houses without overcrowding already crowded schools.  And yet they want the school board to effectively give them $10,000,000, saying the schools have everything they need.  That's a pretty clear picture of our city's priorities.

View Profile   IP Logged
BucStopsHere

Luke 12:2-3

Reply #3 - 12/10/07 at 9:23am

Quote from hoover1990 on 12/10/07 at 6:32am:

Hundreds of new houses have been approved by this City Council.  There is no place to put the kids from those new houses without overcrowding already crowded schools.  And yet they want the school board to effectively give them $10,000,000, saying the schools have everything they need.  That's a pretty clear picture of our city's priorities.

I don't think the BOE should give anything away. Everything has a quid pro quo possibility. I have a question about approved new housing -

New houses, as opposed to apartments, should theoretically generate more than enough taxes to cover the incremental difference in educational needs for children (assuming an normal avg number of kids per family). If true, then what seems to be lacking is a coordination between the CC and BOE to ensure schools and proper zoning are in place on a timely basis. Isn't this part of Gene Smith's responsibility as BOE liason?  

View Profile   IP Logged
slab
Hoover Forum JV

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #4 - 12/10/07 at 9:28am

But don't take my word for it -- talk to Gary Ivey.  I have.  I have heard the dripping contempt he has for education.  Talk to Tom Defnall.  He'll tell you that the school system can't afford to build a third high school -- that it would not be "fiscally responsible".  Talk to Gary McBay.  Ask him about how they are about to rezone the Deer Valley students who live in Russet Woods (again) because they can't afford to build the long-promised new elementary school in Ross Bridge.

Look at the schools' finances for yourself.  The budget includes debt service payments of $16,000,000 this year.  It costs $11,000,000 just to operate the system for ONE MONTH.

Portable classrooms for Bumpus were brought up at the Capital Planning committee meeting.  Portable classrooms!

The Mayor and Council installed a school board and superintendent that would be compliant with their wishes and carry out their priorities.  Those priorities can be clearly seen in the actions of the board.  The financial stability of the system has deteriorated, and fast, and yet the City keeps saying, "Everything's fine."  The Council does not understand, nor care about, the difference between 21 kids in a class and 29 kids in a class.  They don't care about a lunch period that spans from 10:00 until 1:30, because it's not their children waiting until 1:30 to eat.

So why would the BOE sell a property that will be used for the same purpose - a school? It was renovated not that long ago, clean it up and use it again as a 6th - 12th high school.  The savings on infastructure compared to building a new school would be immense.

This isn't a fields vs classrooms argument.  Its about having a little common sense and not selling a valuable asset for below market value when there is no short or long term need or planning.    

View Profile   IP Logged
hoover1990

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #5 - 12/10/07 at 10:12am

Quote from slab on 12/10/07 at 9:28am:

But don't take my word for it -- talk to Gary Ivey. I have. I have heard the dripping contempt he has for education. Talk to Tom Defnall. He'll tell you that the school system can't afford to build a third high school -- that it would not be "fiscally responsible". Talk to Gary McBay. Ask him about how they are about to rezone the Deer Valley students who live in Russet Woods (again) because they can't afford to build the long-promised new elementary school in Ross Bridge.

Look at the schools' finances for yourself. The budget includes debt service payments of $16,000,000 this year. It costs $11,000,000 just to operate the system for ONE MONTH.

Portable classrooms for Bumpus were brought up at the Capital Planning committee meeting. Portable classrooms!

The Mayor and Council installed a school board and superintendent that would be compliant with their wishes and carry out their priorities. Those priorities can be clearly seen in the actions of the board. The financial stability of the system has deteriorated, and fast, and yet the City keeps saying, "Everything's fine." The Council does not understand, nor care about, the difference between 21 kids in a class and 29 kids in a class. They don't care about a lunch period that spans from 10:00 until 1:30, because it's not their children waiting until 1:30 to eat.

Hundreds of new houses have been approved by this City Council. There is no place to put the kids from those new houses without overcrowding already crowded schools. And yet they want the school board to effectively give them $10,000,000, saying the schools have everything they need. That's a pretty clear picture of our city's priorities.

So why would the BOE sell a property that will be used for the same purpose - a school? It was renovated not that long ago, clean it up and use it again as a 6th - 12th high school. The savings on infastructure compared to building a new school would be immense.

This isn't a fields vs classrooms argument. Its about having a little common sense and not selling a valuable asset for below market value when there is no short or long term need or planning.

Who will you zone to this school?  Not your kids, I'll bet.

View Profile   IP Logged
slab
Hoover Forum JV

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #6 - 12/10/07 at 1:39pm

Quote from hoover1990 on 12/10/07 at 10:12am:

So why would the BOE sell a property that will be used for the same purpose - a school? It was renovated not that long ago, clean it up and use it again as a 6th - 12th high school.  The savings on infastructure compared to building a new school would be immense.

This isn't a fields vs classrooms argument.  Its about having a little common sense and not selling a valuable asset for below market value when there is no short or long term need or planning.    

I'm no zoning expert but I imagine it could be figured out.  I don't live nearby so mine probably wold not be candidates.

View Profile   IP Logged
slab
Hoover Forum JV

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #7 - 12/10/07 at 1:42pm

New idea.

City has been looking to build an indoor track facility.  Also there is a lot of rumbling about Hoover (city or schools) not having any type of fine arts facility.  What about the site being used for Municipal and School convention center, indoor track, fine arts hall, and other similar uses?

View Profile   IP Logged
hibousage

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #8 - 12/10/07 at 2:32pm

Quote from slab on 12/10/07 at 1:42pm:
New idea.

City has been looking to build an indoor track facility. Also there is a lot of rumbling about Hoover (city or schools) not having any type of fine arts facility. What about the site being used for Municipal and School convention center, indoor track, fine arts hall, and other similar uses?

OOOOHHH.  I like the sound of that.  Hopefully the powers that be are looking in on that post.

Each morning, take time to imagine the person you want to be.
View Profile   IP Logged
slab
Hoover Forum JV

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #9 - 12/10/07 at 5:02pm

Quote from hibousage on 12/10/07 at 2:32pm:
Quote from slab on 12/10/07 at 1:42pm:
New idea.

City has been looking to build an indoor track facility.  Also there is a lot of rumbling about Hoover (city or schools) not having any type of fine arts facility.  What about the site being used for Municipal and School convention center, indoor track, fine arts hall, and other similar uses?

OOOOHHH.  I like the sound of that.  Hopefully the powers that be are looking in on that post.

Of course according to H1990 I only care about ballfields   Roll Eyes

View Profile   IP Logged
Bucsamillion
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #10 - 12/10/07 at 7:07pm

Quote from slab on 12/10/07 at 1:39pm:

I'm no zoning expert but I imagine it could be figured out.  I don't live nearby so mine probably wold not be candidates.

How about this.

Any kid east of Hwy 31 goes to Spain Park. (Keep R'Chase there as well)

Kids West of Hwy 31, South of Hwy 150 and East of South Shades Crest go to "Berry"

The rest go to HHS. This would take in the expansion of Lake Cyrus, Ross Bridge and the new area behind the Hoover Met since HHS is the biggest school as far as capacity.

View Profile   IP Logged
hibousage

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #11 - 12/10/07 at 7:51pm

So the kids next to HHS go to Berry?

View Profile   IP Logged
PurplePerson
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #12 - 12/10/07 at 8:22pm

It also splits up the GV kids.  Some kids live on the east side of 31.  You could zone all of GV, but that didn't go over too well previously.

View Profile   IP Logged
ShadzMtnMom
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #13 - 12/10/07 at 8:27pm

Quote from Bucsamillion on 12/10/07 at 7:07pm:
Quote from slab on 12/10/07 at 1:39pm:

How about this.

Any kid east of Hwy 31 goes to Spain Park. (Keep R'Chase there as well)

Kids West of Hwy 31, South of Hwy 150 and East of South Shades Crest go to "Berry"

The rest go to HHS. This would take in the expansion of Lake Cyrus, Ross Bridge and the new area behind the Hoover Met since HHS is the biggest school as far as capacity.

Wouldn't work for me.  Shades Mountain kids live west of 31 too!  

View Profile   IP Logged
begood
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #14 - 12/10/07 at 9:33pm

Right...I say everyone that's already been rezoned to SP must stay at SP since those kids have already been re-re-re-zoned.

View Profile   IP Logged
hibousage

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #15 - 12/10/07 at 9:45pm

Slab had a very interesting idea, somewhere here on this forum.  The city wants to still used the fields.  The city/school have been talking about an indoor track/fine arts project.  How about renovate Berry for that?  Sounds like a winner to me!

View Profile   IP Logged
Bucsamillion
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #16 - 12/11/07 at 10:17pm

Quote from hibousage on 12/10/07 at 7:51pm:
So the kids next to HHS go to Berry?

Sorry, that would be kids North of Hwy 150. Basically a rectangle bordered by hwy 150, hwy 31 and shades crest. But obviously many other posters don't like it cause their kids would affected (BTW, mine would be moved to Berry). That's why re-zoning doesn't work. Too much whining about individual circumstances so we just want to shell out bucks so everybody can have a shiny new school. Last time I looked, bricks and mortar was not what educated kids. I mean seriously, did everybody who posts on this thing go to a new school??

View Profile   IP Logged
Cahaba
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #17 - 12/11/07 at 10:39pm

Rectangle??? Shocked

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print