Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
THE Hoover Forum
05/19/24 at 4:46am
News: Welcome to THE Hoover Forum - Check here for the forum rules.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
11/08/07 BoE Speeches (Read 12032 times)
Hoover Forum Administrator
THE Hoover Forum Administrator

Don't Tread on Me

11/08/07 BoE Speeches
11/09/07 at 8:19am

From Lisa Logan:

Members of the Hoover School Board and guests, I would like to thank you for allowing me a few minutes this evening to make a statement. My name is Lisa Logan. I am an alumnus of W.A. Berry High School. I have one son who is a senior at Hoover High School and another who is at the Freshman Center. As I am sure you are all aware these are troubling times for the Hoover school system. Recent events surrounding the Hoover High School football team, its coaching staff and Hoover High School teachers and administrators have been high profile targets for the local (and even national) media. The Pointer Report has become required reading for everyone with a son or daughter in the Hoover School System. Certainly there are several subjects covered in the Report, ranging from grade changes for athletes that were not authorized by teachers, pressure on teachers to enhance athlete’s grades, preferential treatment and support of athletes and even the overall conduct and management of the football program. The Report and the subsequent media blitz have resulted in the reassignment of an Assistant Principal at Hoover High School and the resignation of our head football coach. While some might see these events as going a long way toward solving the problems outlined in the Report, I want to implore the School Board to see these recent events as simply a good start with much more work required in order to right the wrongs outlined in the Report.  

Please allow me to focus on one aspect of the Report that hits close to home for me. In the Report a standout senior football player simply referred to as “Student #2” is a student with an “IEP”. The Report details numerous instances where Student #2 is given more than his fair share of help to pass courses. The Report goes on to state that some faculty members did “everything they could to assist Student #2 and other athletes with little regard to whether other students received the same treatment or whether their actions were consistent with school policy.” Several of the teachers who instructed Student #2 felt that he was given special attention only because he was a “well-known athlete” and were troubled that other students did not receive the same attention and opportunities as Student #2. I find this portion of the Report particularly interesting and indeed extremely frustrating because my son has had an IEP for four years. Yet, over those four years I have found it extremely difficult to obtain help or accommodations from his teachers and administrators, but my son is not an athlete. Perhaps that has something to do with the lack of IEP support he has received over the years.  

The Report goes on to say that the head football coach was concerned with Student #2’s prospects in life if he did not play football at the college and NFL levels. Currently there are approximately 1,696 NFL football players. Last year there were approximately 66.5 million males employed in the U.S. workforce meaning that one out of every 39,210 working U.S. males is an NFL football player. Certainly I am no math expert but it seems to me that those are very long odds indeed. Perhaps the staff should have been more concerned with working with Student #2 to educate him on these odds and work on his academics in the likelihood that he did not ultimately have a career in the NFL. It seems to me the staff’s attempt to pass Student #2 to allow him to graduate and further his chances to make the NFL without Student #2 putting forth the effort to actually pass the classes is ultimately doing him a disservice because it is denying him the education he will so desperately need in the likely event that he does not have a career in the NFL. Furthermore what about the other 66.5 million working males in the U.S who do not have NFL careers? Should they not be afforded the same high school education experience as Student #2? Not according to Hoover High School, apparently, only a privileged few star athletes are able to command the attention of the school administrators. What if we fail and ultimately discourage the next Albert Einstein or Isaac Newton simply because they are not star athletes? What if that failure had a detrimental long term effect on the world as a whole? Are we willing to risk our future, and the future of our children on the outcome of a football game? I believe the Report says it best when it concludes, “Central to the academic integrity at any high school is the principle that students receive a fair grade based on their performance in the class, without preferential treatment except as may be called for under an approved IEP”.

In closing, I would like to ask all faculty, students, parents and Board members of the Hoover School System to rededicate themselves to “academics”. Keep in mind that every year Harvard University accepts more new people than the NFL does. Our community needs to know that the school board is serious about academics. In my opinion, one gesture that could affirm that commitment is to rededicate the “Walk of Fame” as open to all students at Hoover High, not just athletes, coaches and cheerleaders. Please restore our faith in this school system with a rededication and ribbon cutting ceremony along with your continued rededication to academics. Thank you for your time and good evening.

res ipsa loquitur
View Profile WWW   IP Logged

Don't Tread on Me

Re: 11/08/07 BoE Speeches
Reply #1 - 11/09/07 at 8:28am

From Robin Schultz:

Introduction:  Ladies and gentlemen of the Board.  Our city, our schools, our students, our parents and the public have just gone through a very harrowing five months.  We’ve gone from a showcase city to the butt of many jokes.  People in our schools have put us through a very humiliating chapter in our history.  As a Hoover City Schools parent, and as a resident of Hoover, I don’t want to go through something like this again.  And I think it would be fair to say, neither do any of you.  This evening I would like to offer some suggestions and some critique of the past five months.  I hope you will take what I say to heart so that we don’t have to repeat any of it again.  There are four topics that I would like to go over.
Topics

I.      Implementation of a Reporting System
II.      Duties and Responsibilities of a Board of Education Member
III.      Education of a Board of Education Member
IV.      Retreats

I.      Implementation of a Reporting System
The previous five months have taught us, the residents of Hoover, and you, the Hoover Board of Education, that we have some flaws in the current system.  You have spent over $150,000 of our money on a report that detailed things many people already knew, but were afraid to mention due to fear of retaliation.  

I ask at this time that the Hoover Board of Education put in place a system that will allow school employees and others to report actions they feel are unethical, improper or illegal.  Any of these reports should be reviewed by a panel that consists of two employees, two non-employees and a fifth person chosen by those four.  If that panel finds merit in their review, further investigation by the Superintendent should be ordered.  Once the results of that report are completed, the superintendent should make his personnel recommendation to the board.  At no time should the board ever have the power to make personnel decisions except to approve or deny the recommendation of the superintendent.

If this process is implemented, the reporting party, the whistleblower, should be held harmless from any retaliation.  Anonymous reporting should also be considered.  If such a system is good enough for the Federal government, then it should be good enough for the city of Hoover.

The public is aware of several ongoing instances of unethical and immoral behavior at one of our schools and the Superintendent and the Board of Education not acting on it.  I’ll be happy to meet with any member or Mr. Craig to discuss these. These things need to stop so that we don’t have a repeat of what we just went through.  

II.      Duties and Responsibilities of a Board of Education Member
On June 5, 2006 Sandra Sims-DeGraffenreid, who was the Executive Director of the Alabama Association of School Boards, led a training session for the Hoover BoE.  All of you were present, except for Mr. Veitch.  Then Superintendent Williams and Mr. Sweeney were also present.  I would like to cover a few things that she talked about that I have not seen, as a parent, being practiced by this board.

You are responsible for how the schools are run, but you don’t run them.  She suggested that you do not “hang out at the schools” or take a particular school or district for “your own”.  As Board members, you represent the interests of all the children.  The perception by the public is that you are not doing so.  I read all of your biographies and know your backgrounds.  Two of you were very involved at your children’s schools.  As a board member, you come across as biased by doing that now, which is not good, because if gives the perception of favoritism.  You need to separate yourself from your children’s schools for the sake of the administration and faculty there.  Or, if you can’t do that, you need to no longer be a Board of Education member.

I have not missed a single BoE meeting since June.  I can now tell you, based upon your behavior at meetings, how you will vote on certain issues.  You have become predictable because of your allegiance to a certain school.  Up to last Friday, I thought that there was only one impartial Board member.  Comments I heard on TV that night changed my thoughts on that as well.  How sad is that?

Remember that every decision you make, you must put the children first.  You are responsible for how the schools are run.  But you don’t run them.  And please remember that you have NO authority as individuals, only as a body.

Micromanagement should be avoided.  At this point, several members of this board are exhibiting signs of micromanagement.

III.      Education of a Board of Education Member
Based upon the last public figures available, this Board has not taken advantage of the AASB’s School Board Member Academy.  These figures show that, out of four Levels of Achievement available to you, none of you have completed even Level One.  This lack of training showed in the handling of the Pointer Report.  Take advantage of the training offered.  We as parents depend on you to make the right decisions and those can only be made if you know what to do.  You wouldn’t want to fly on a plane where the pilot is still a student, would you?  We would like our Board of Education to be as knowledgeable and educated in what to do as possible.  Mrs. Powell has the information on how to sign up for classes, and if she doesn’t, I do.

IV.      Retreats
One of the things that I have found out during my research is how important it is for the five of you to know one another.  I have spoken to former Board members who said that retreats, lunches, informal get-togethers were of paramount importance for a successful Board of Education.  Even Mrs. DeGraffenreid mentioned it during her training session last year.  You need to learn to work as a body, to get to know one another better.  You have not taken part in any retreats.

Finally, let me say a couple of things.  This was not meant as a beat up session.  It was meant as constructive criticism from a concerned parent.  I don’t claim to speak for anyone but myself, but I think many parents feel as I do.  You see them here tonight.  We’re asking that along with the best schools in Alabama, that we have the best Board of Education in Alabama.  Allow Mr. Craig to do his job.  Remove any signs of perceived bias.  One of the things I have learned over the past five months is that, in my opinion, no school board member should have a child currently enrolled in the Hoover City Schools.  I believe that a member cannot be objective when they do, regardless of how much they say they can.  Sooner or later, parental emotion will set in.  It set in several times during the Pointer Report discussions, from every member of the Board of Education.  But all of you are parents of children in the system, so the perception of bias has to be removed.  By implementing the four things I covered, you can help remove this perception and begin to move forward.  

Thanks for your time.

res ipsa loquitur

Don't Tread on Me

Reply #2 - 11/09/07 at 2:52pm

From Trisha Crain:

What I want to talk to you about tonight has a lot to do with what we, as a community, have been struggling with for some time now:  what is the purpose of high school athletics, how did we get in this mess, and how do we get back on track to having excellence in academics and athletics, without sacrificing our integrity in the process?  

This past summer, Judge Pointer and his firm completed a $152,000 investigation looking into preferential treatment of athletes, among other allegations.  The report concluded that yes, preferential treatment of football players was evident, and folks have lost their jobs as a result.

So, how can we make sure we never again find ourselves in the position of needing an investigation into an athletic program within Hoover City Schools?  

I believe the answer to that involves two things:  perspective and institutional control.

Regarding perspective:  student athletes are just that:  student athletes….notice the “student” comes first.  While student athletes deserve respect for the hard work they put into developing their athletic talents, I think we would all agree that they do not deserve preferential treatment within their school.  We all want winning athletic programs, and in fact have some of the finest athletic facilities in the state of Alabama, perhaps among the best in the country, to facilitate that goal of winning.

But high school athletics must be put in the proper perspective.  We are not the only community struggling with this issue.  Unfortunately, we’ve become rather ordinary in our pursuit of excellence in athletics, and at great cost to our community.  

We need to define our perspective as it pertains to what success means in our high school athletic programs.  Can we be satisfied with multiple state championships?  Must we “take it to the next level”?  How much will it cost us, financially and otherwise, to take it to that next level?  

Booster clubs may shoulder the large part of the expenses related to taking it to that next level, but this district, indeed this Board, has approved many expenditures related to our athletic programs, especially in the last year.  Money that this Board may need to have spent somewhere else---specifically in the area of academics.

A school system has a finite amount of resources, human and financial.  This school system is forced to make choices on how to spend public funds, local, state and federal monies, every single day.  

When we choose to spend that money on artificial turf, better athletic facilities, indeed even football jerseys, we have less money to spend on the other areas of need---meaning other athletic programs and academics---in our school system.

And there are great needs in our school system.  I spoke to you from this podium in September and handed you a list of what I believe are real needs in our school system.  Those needs are still waiting to be addressed.

Until the basic mission of the Hoover School system, educating children, is met, how can we justify the types of expenditures that we have made for athletics?  

Which brings me to the next point:  institutional control.  Folks from all over the country have weighed in on how Hoover football got to this point, and most point to a lack of institutional control.  While Mr. Craig has reiterated some policies regarding placement of funds intended for school-based activities, it is important to note that those policies have been in place for quite some time.  Why were those policies not enforced?  Where was the oversight?

The Athletic Council was formed in 2001 to address institutional control over the athletic programs at both high schools.  It was disbanded in 2003 for no apparent reason other than Dr. Farr saying it would no longer exist.  I suggest we dig up the notes from those meetings, look at the work that Council had completed and see where they were headed.    

It will take a long long time for this community to heal from the wounds the information uncovered in the investigation has inflicted.  

The pursuit of one athletic programs’ national title dreams has cost us dearly.  And I’m certain we haven’t yet finished paying the piper.  Many questions remain, many actions are left untaken.

Before the search for the next Hoover High football coach is completed, please take the time to define what it is we as a community want and expect out of our middle and high school athletic programs.  The next coach needs to understand clearly what is expected of him as head coach.  Unless we have clearly defined goals and boundaries, we’re liable to find ourselves right back here in a few short years.  

You, as our Board of Education, have the authority and the ability to put the controls in place to make certain we never again find ourselves where we are today.  

Thank you for your time.  

res ipsa loquitur

Don't Tread on Me

Reply #3 - 11/09/07 at 2:54pm

Not one of the speeches, but a Sound Off from Birmingham News 11/07/07 from Trisha Crain:

What has transpired within Hoover City Schools since early summer is nothing short of tragic.  Neighbors pitted against neighbors, twisted into a bitter argument over what we as a community want and expect from our high school athletic programs and the people that lead those programs.

We have watched as Hoover High’s football program grew into a national power over the last 5 years.  Coach Propst stated that his goal was to take Hoover High to a national title when he first arrived in 1999.  A lofty goal, but one that almost seemed attainable under Propst’s leadership.  

But what has been lost in the pursuit of that ever-elusive national title?  What sacrifices have been made in other programs, both academic and athletic, in pursuit of that national title?

What is the purpose of high school athletics?  This question has been batted around recently by area writers, but no satisfactory answer has emerged.  

I submit that this issue---the purpose of high school athletics---is the most important issue that the folks in our Hoover school community need to address before we go forward in the search for a new head football coach for Hoover High School.

A school system has a finite amount of resources, both human and financial, to provide for the education of our children.  Our school system has serious academic needs that are going unmet because of a professed lack of funding.  Not “wants”, but “needs”.

Here’s where “want” and “need” matter a great deal.  You can “want” an indoor practice facility and you can “want” artificial turf, but when you “need” additional teachers to lower class sizes at the middle school, and you “need” serious year-round remediation for elementary school students who are two grade levels behind and you “need” a vocational program at the high school, the choice should be simple:  a school system simply must put its resources into the “needs” related to educating the children within its walls.

Before we search for a head football coach to pick up where Propst left off, please let’s have that community discussion about what we really want out of our middle and high school athletic programs.  Must we achieve national success to consider ourselves successful?  Or can we be satisfied with winning many and varied state championships and turning out first-class citizens with stellar athletic abilities?  

Let’s take the time to get this into the proper perspective.  Only then can we move forward with an academic and athletic program that we can, as a community, be proud of.  

Trisha Crain
Chairman, Hoover School Community Information Network

res ipsa loquitur

Don't Tread on Me

Reply #4 - 11/10/07 at 3:55pm

Afif Kanafani Speech:

To The Hoover Board of Education: Your Report Card.

As parents of Hoover students, we look to the Board of Education and the Superintendent of our schools to be the stewards under whose leadership our kids are offered the best education that money can buy. An education that comes before anything else on your list of priorities in doing your jobs as public servants. This requires dedication to the mission that puts our kids’ schooling first and foremost. It requires fiscal responsibility, exceptional management, and building an outstanding organization.

Unfortunately, on your watch, none of that has been attained. Instead, we witnessed a charade of appointments to positions on the board by the city council, and the hiring of an unqualified superintendent by your board. We painfully watched as you and the superintendent squandered our school money on unwise expenditures such as an investigation, which resulted in “revelations” already known to you. We watched in shock as you held secret meetings and discussions that should have been public. We protested, but it all fell on deaf ears.

On your watch, we witnessed perhaps one of the worst scandals in Alabama athletics, topped only by your mishandling of all its ugly entrails. You shuffled your losses into more costly personnel actions, thanks to which we now have “Consultants” on your staff instead of culprits.

On your watch, and those who appointed you, we looked in disgust at the inflated egos and offensive political maneuvering, which should have no place in our education system. This has depleted our trust in both you and the city council. Again, we protested, to no avail. You do not listen to the community. The only time you seem to take decisive action is when law suites appear imminent.

A few alligator tears and resignations effective in the future, (costing our education budget yet more miss-spent money) just does not cut it. The Board’s performance has been less than dismal; it has divided our community, disillusioned our students, and set back our excellence in education, which will take years to repair. Without our trust in you, you cannot be effective public servants. Without the power to appoint you, WE cannot fire you. Therefore, we ask you to search your conscience… then decide: whether you can reverse your F grade which you have earned to an A+, whether you can regain our trust, whether you care for the education of our children first and foremost, not how well they throw a football… If you can do all this, then stay and do it. If you cannot, then please resign.

Thank you.  Afif Kanafani   November 8, 2007

res ipsa loquitur
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print