Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
THE Hoover Forum
04/18/24 at 9:56pm
News: Welcome to THE Hoover Forum - Check here for the forum rules.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
A Bit of History (Read 87711 times)
HSCIN
Ex Member

A Bit of History
05/02/08 at 10:31pm

I'll be perusing old Birmingham News articles for little tidbits about our current Council over the coming months.  I was simply looking for election results (actual numbers) and came across this tidbit:

Birmingham News (AL){PUBLICATION2}
SPEAK OUT  

October 6, 2004  
Section: Neighborhoods  
Page: 3-H  
Opponent's mailer created bitter taste The general election and runoff election for the Hoover mayoral race and the City Council races are now history. This was my first experience of being a candidate in the political process, and I must say it was a most rewarding one - up until the point when my opponent, Brian Skelton, made the decision to mail a comparison piece of campaign literature just prior to the Sept. 14 runoff election that was based on incorrect facts, half-truths and innuendoes.  

In this piece of literature, he stated that I had missed 33 percent of the Planning and Zoning Commission meetings. It is a matter of public record that, since I was appointed to the commission in September 2001, I have missed 10 of 37 meetings, which is slightly more than 25 percent. Of the most recent meetings that I have missed, I was involved in providing care for my wife's gravely ill parents, both of whom died within nine days of each other in January. In addition, other recent meetings that I missed involved attending the weddings of my two daughters who were married out of state in June of this year and November of last year.

Mr. Skelton also brought up the fact that a $1,000 personal contribution was made to the Concerned Citizens For the Future of Hoover in order for that group to make a general mailing that identified the mayoral and City Council candidates they were recommending. He further implied that the contribution was made before the group made public their list of recommended candidates. It was, and is, a matter of public record that the CCFFH's recommendations were published well in advance of their asking for donations in order to make the mailing.

Another point in Mr. Skelton's questionable piece of campaign literature was that both my company and I had contributed to Mayor Barbara McCollum's campaign. That was a true statement for the 2000 election, as was the fact that many Hoover residents contributed to the then "Dream Team" campaign. However, this was not the case in 2004 as evidenced by an article in the Aug. 9 issue of the Birmingham News that dealt with slates and coalitions. I was not included on Mayor McCollum's or any other slate; however, my opponent, Mr. Skelton, was listed as being a part of mayoral candidate Jody Patterson's slate.

Lastly, Mr. Skelton challenged my Hoover residency by pointing out that I had "lived in seven southeastern cities, including Raleigh, N.C., and having owned nine homes." If you go to the Web site www.ccffh.org, from where this partial sentence was derived, you will find that this statement was part of the response to a question from my interview with representatives from the CCFFH that included, among other things, my desire to ensure that the equity that each Hoover family has in their home would be protected. Ironically, when you think about the fast growth of the City of Hoover, you would be hard pressed to find a significant number of Hoover residents who are long-time residents. To put the record straight, I have lived in the Birmingham area for more than 20 years, the last 10 of which have been in Hoover.

In summary, the political experience on the part of me, my wife, Fran, and the numerous friends who worked so hard on my campaign was truly enjoyable. However, after having run a "clean" campaign and having experienced a piece of distorted and misleading campaign literature on the part of my runoff opponent, Mr. Skelton, I would probably not do this again.

In addition, I would be hardpressed to encourage other worthy and civic-minded individuals who might be interested in running for political office to do so and subject themselves and their families to this kind of mistreatment.

Jim Summerlin

Hoover  

IP Logged
HSCIN
Ex Member

Re: A Bit of History
Reply #1 - 05/02/08 at 10:36pm

SOME SEE NEW HOOVER COUNCIL TOO CLOSE  

September 22, 2004  
Page: 1-H  
   JON ANDERSON News staff writer  
Hoover voters, for the second time in a row, replaced all but one City Council member.  

So what can residents expect from the new crop of council members elected this summer?

Some members of the new council say people will see a more cooperative group with less fussing and fighting. Some residents wonder, however, whether this council is so close that it will conduct business behind closed doors.

"I think it will be totally different, and I think it will be totally positive," said Jack Wright, the only council member re-elected this year, as he was when he survived the council rout in 2000. "I think we'll see a brand new spirit of cooperation up there," Wright said.

People are tired of the petty bickering and bloc voting, Wright said. Mayor-elect Tony Petelos will set the tone for the new group of elected officials, Wright said.

Instead of being satisfied with getting just enough votes to pass something, voters should expect to see their new mayor working to get seven votes to pass his initiatives, Wright said.

"It's time for Hoover to grow up and everybody push in the same direction," he said. "It's now time for the council to get itself together and become a positive force."

Councilman-elect Gene Smith said a lot of the new council members are like-minded and will put the city first.

"I don't see any of these people allowing petty disagreements to create turmoil amongst ourselves," Smith said.

Outgoing Councilwoman Donna Mazur agrees that the incoming council members will be close, but said she fears they'll be too close. She expects to see Brian Skelton, Gary Ivey, Trey Lott and Wright voting together a lot, she said.

"They're all friends," she said. "That's OK to be friends, but there's more to it than that . . . I really hope that they're not going to make any decisions behind closed doors - that they're going to listen and do what's right for this city. It just scares me who's going to be running this city again." 'Power bosses'

Outgoing Councilman Kyle Forstman said he expects Smith to be of like mind with the new council members Mazur named.

"I think, definitely, you're going to see that group be the power bosses of the council," Forstman said. "They all know each other very well and campaigned together."

Councilman Jody Patterson, who lost his bid for mayor last week, had picked each of those five as his preferred candidates for the council.

Wright and Smith both said they campaigned separately. Efforts to reach Skelton, Ivey and Lott for comment were unsuccessful.

Wright said it's no secret that he, Skelton and Ivey are friends, and he's known Smith for 20 years, but "I wasn't on anybody's slate."

Wright said he thinks everybody on the new council understands that business needs to be done in the open. "The mandate is to eliminate the behindclosed-doors stuff," he said. "I think the people would turn against that kind of thing."

Smith said he even would lobby for details of new council ordinances to be presented at their first reading rather than their second reading. That would give the public more time to learn about the proposals and respond, he said.

It's that kind of citizen involvement that Paul Elkourie, president of the Concerned Citizens for the Future of Hoover, said his group desires.

Elkourie said the success of the new council depends on how much value it puts in history.

Most members of the current and previous city councils were voted out of office because they failed to involve and listen to residents, Elkourie said. They allowed too much growth, and the current council has had too much bickering and a lack of civility, he said.

"This group that's (coming) in here now, if they can learn from that, maybe in the next election, it will be a different story than the last two," Elkourie said. 'Jekyll and Hyde'

The current council members "seemed to pull a Jekyll and Hyde routine" once they got into office, he said. "For some reason, politics brings the dark side of people out," he said. "A lot of people, when they get into political positions, they change."

People in Hoover are turned off by the voting blocs that formed over the past four years and closed-door decisions, Elkourie said. There's a good potential for that to happen with the new council, but "we'll just have to see whether that materializes or not," he said.

The Concerned Citizens for the Future of Hoover endorsed Lott, Smith, Wright and Mari Morrison but not Skelton, Ivey or Mike Natter. To the contrary, Elkourie said Ivey, Skelton and Natter were the only candidates among the 10 in runoffs who "were not acceptable choices."

Skelton and Ivey were too pro-development, Elkourie said, although he wouldn't comment on Natter. "Our big hope now," he said, "is that the ones we didn't support prove us wrong."

Natter said he doesn't know the other council members well but he doesn't expect that will be an issue.

"I like to believe that these guys are going to be open to every side," Natter said. "It doesn't matter whether we're good friends or whether we're not good friends. I feel confident they'll give me an equal voice on issues. Maybe I'm a little optimistic, but I like to be optimistic. I think everybody's got the best interest of the city at heart. That's the most important thing."

Pro-development?

Forstman said he thinks many residents will be surprised at how pro-development the new council will be compared to the current council. The existing council has turned down numerous projects over the past four years, including the Hoover Towne Centre development at the intersection of Interstate 459 and John Hawkins Parkway, phase two of the Patton Creek development near the Riverchase Galleria, and Skelton's proposal for a condominium complex on land he owned near Greystone.

Forstman also noted the $5,000 contribution Skelton and Ivey each accepted from Alex and Suzy Baker. Alex Baker is the president and chief executive of AIG Baker, the development company that built the Patton Creek and Lee Branch shopping centers.

Mazur said she was concerned the new council would be favorable to approving residential development without the retail development to support it.

Wright said that's not the case. "Commercial growth is a priority for any potential annex ation," he said. However, "I think we've got about all we can probably handle."

The new council is positive toward growth, but "the facts are that city services have not kept pace with growth for the past three years," Wright said.

Growth will be driven by the free enterprise system and private developers, Wright said. With the new mayor and council, though, "I would expect a lot longer and open process," Wright said. "You just can't ram through a major annexation."

Outgoing Mayor Barbara McCollum said she has no idea what the new council's attitude will be toward new developments, but she hopes members will weigh the benefits and liabilities before making decisions.

She said she believes the new council eventually will come to realize that the annexation of the 1,600-acre Ross Bridge development in western Hoover is one of the best economic development moves the city has made. Immigrant issue

McCollum and Mazur both said they were concerned with how the new council will deal with immigrants along Lorna Road. "They have to make sure they follow the law," McCollum said. "You can't just go out and arrest people."

If the Multicultural Resource Center closes, there will be more day laborers along Lorna Road and more crime, Mazur said. "At least (now) they have a place to go," she said. "They have people helping them."

Smith said the immigrant issue is a sensitive one that needs to be handled carefully. Most people are concerned about the immigrants who are here illegally, Smith said. Those who are legal "deserve every opportunity we can give them."

janderson@bhamnews.com  

IP Logged
HSCIN
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/02/08 at 10:37pm

HOOVER DOESN'T NEED NEW 'POWER BOSSES'  

September 22, 2004  
   Peggy Sanford  
If you haven't followed the Hoover election play-by-play, here's the breakdown.  

Come Oct. 4, Hoover will have a new mayor, seven council members instead of five, and only one incumbent in the bunch.

Tony Petelos, a commercial builder, former three-term state representative and a former commissioner of the Alabama Department of Human Resources, will succeed incumbent Mayor Barbara McCollum.

Councilman Jack Wright will return for his third term. This is his second time to hold the title of lone incumbent to survive.

First-time council members will be: physician Trey Lott of Greystone; business owner and retired Hoover firefighter Gene Smith of Bluff Park; lawyer and Hoover Planning and Zoning Commission member Mari Morrison of Paradise Lake; Crest Cadillac Hummer owner and planning commission member Gary Ivey of Riverchase; and construction company president Mike Natter of Trace Crossings.

Brian Skelton, who lost the mayor's seat to McCollum in 2000, will return to the city's elected fold as a member of the City Council. Skelton, president of South Haven Corp. and a Lake Cyrus resident, has been on the Hoover council before, from 1994 to 1999. He was appointed mayor in 1999 when then-Mayor Frank Skinner resigned and pleaded guilty to a campaign finance violation.

Skinner was Hoover's mayor for 18 years.

When McCollum and the four council members she backed were elected in 2000, they claimed a victory over the "political machine" that had kept Skinner in office and propelled Skelton into the mayor's seat.

If they were right about a machine, then it could be sputtering back to life.

As Skelton returns to the council, he is joined by his close friend, Ivey. Skelton and Ivey join Wright, a mutual friend, all known to be regular lunch pals.

Out-going Councilwoman Donna Mazur ties Lott to the group and out-going Councilor Kyle Forstman adds Smith, predicting that group of five will be the council's "power bosses."

Power bosses are not what the City Council needs, especially when two of the group - Skelton and Ivey - took $5,000 contributions each from Alex Baker. Baker is president and chief executive of AIG Baker, which has developed shopping centers across America, including Patton Creek and Lee Branch in Hoover.

The city needs a mayor and council that will heed their campaign pledges to weigh growth against drain on city services and to decide issues through open and respectful debate. The last two Hoover elections should prove that the city's voters don't want factional control of their government. They want independent leaders who will work together to do what's best for the city, not what's best for any individual, group or commercial interest.  

IP Logged
HSCIN
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/02/08 at 10:38pm

PETELOS PLEDGES FRESH START AS HOOVER MAYOR  

September 15, 2004  
Section: News  
Page: 1-A  
Illustration: A Newschart titled 'Hoover runoff election results' accompanied this article.

TROY GOODMAN and JEREMY GRAY News staff writers  
Hoover voters Tuesday overwhelmingly elected former state representative and Alabama Department of Human Resources Commissioner Tony Petelos to be their next mayor.  

Petelos received 7,148 votes, 63 percent, in the runoff election. His opponent, City Councilman Jody Patterson, took 4,131 votes, 37 percent. Patterson failed to claim any of Hoover's 12 boxes or a majority of the absentee vote.

In Hoover's council runoff races, four residents of eastern Hoover, including three from Greystone, lost. The council seats were won by Mari Morrison, Gary Ivey, Brian Skelton and Mike Natter.

In the mayor's race, Petelos and Patterson had emerged from a field of six candidates, including incumbent Mayor Barbara McCollum, in the Aug. 24 general election.

In his acceptance speech at his campaign headquarters on U.S. 31 at Patton Chapel Road, Petelos said his vote totals showed people want a fresh voice at City Hall. That was something long-time Hoover resident and former McCollum supporter Patterson could not provide, Petelos said.

"The citizens of Hoover wanted a change of leadership and that is what we're going to have," he said.

The loss was bittersweet, Patterson said, because he wanted to beat Petelos, but had confidence in the former representative's ability to bring sound decisions on growth and finances to Alabama's sixth-largest city.

"I am disappointed because I played to win, but I feel a lot of great things are coming for the city," Patterson said. The Trace Crossings-based home builder gave up a bid for re-election to the council to launch his mayoral campaign.

Many Petelos supporters said their candidate won handily because his experience as a threeterm state representative and DHR chief shows he can lead a large staff and handle the city's $76.5 million budget.

Only one incumbent, Jack Wright, will remain on the Hoover council.

In the Place 3 race, Hoover Planning and Zoning Commissioner Morrison defeated Greystone resident Mary Sue Ludwig 5,746 votes to 4,864.

Henry lost the Place 4 race to Gary Ivey. Ivey had 7,214 votes, Henry 3,572. Ivey also is a member of the Hoover zoning board and owns Crest Cadillac Hummer.

Skelton won Place 6 with 5,908 votes over Jim Summerlin of Southlake, another zoning board member and president of Mayer Electric Supply Co. Summerlin had 4,891 votes.

Natter defeated Greystone resident Daniel Whitman 6,384 votes to 4,182.

Morrison, Ivey, Skelton and Natter will join Wright and two other newly elected council members, Trey Lott and Gene Smith, on Hoover's new sevenmember council.

Wright, of Verdure Knolls, won Place 5 and will begin his third term when the new administration is sworn in Oct. 4.

Lott, a Greystone resident, won Place 1 and Smith, of Bluff Park, won Place 2 in the August general election.

Both Petelos and Patterson campaigned on promises to seek stronger enforcement of immigration laws to minimize concerns about Hispanic day laborers who gather along Lorna Road north of the Interstate 459 overpass.

Petelos has said he will push for Hoover to partner with Pelham, Helena, Alabaster and other cities to fund a federal immigration agent to work the area and crack down on those who may be working or driving without proper permits.  

IP Logged
HSCIN
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/02/08 at 10:39pm

PATTERSON, PETELOS KEEP EYES ON HOOVER'S MAYORAL PRIZE
MANY MUNICIPAL RUNOFFS SLATED FOR TUESDAY  

September 12, 2004  
Page: 19-A  
Hoover mayoral candidates Jody Patterson and Tony Petelos are making their final pitches to persuade voters to put them in charge in Tuesday's runoff election.  

Petelos, a former three-term state legislator and former head of the state Department of Human Resources, comes into the runoff after a strong showing in the Aug. 24 general election. He captured 48 percent of the 14,439 votes cast in the six-person mayoral race.

Patterson, a one-term councilman who came in second place with 23 percent of the vote three weeks ago, said he knows it will be tough to beat Petelos but he's working diligently to make up ground.

Both candidates campaigned hard against Mayor Barbara McCollum, saying she was expanding the city at an alarming rate and putting Hoover too deep in debt. Now, they're trying to differentiate themselves from each other.

Patterson points to his deep Hoover roots and leadership experience within the city. He has lived in Hoover since he was born in 1959 and has seen it grow from 406 residents when it incorporated in 1967 to an estimated 65,070 in 2003.

"I've lived here and loved Hoover for 45 years," Patterson said. "Petelos says he's a proven leader. Proven where? . . . My proof is right here in Hoover neighborhood involvement."

Patterson is a former president of the Huntington Park Neighborhood Association and former secretary of the Willow Trace Neighborhood Association. Before being elected to the City Council, he helped lead fights against commercial development encroaching on residents along Alabama 150.

Since election, he served two years on the Hoover Planning and Zoning Commission and has served on the city's Comprehensive Plan Policy Committee and Housing and Property Maintenance Code Committee.

Petelos has lived in Hoover five years but said he's spent his entire life as a resident of Jefferson County and understands Hoover's needs.

However, he said his experience and contacts in Montgomery and Washington, D.C., will benefit Hoover and help the city receive its fair share of state and federal funds. Most of Hoover's money, whether for transportation or education, comes from Montgomery, he said.

"Mr. Patterson is saying he doesn't know anybody in Montgomery," Petelos said. "I think that's the wrong attitude. We're no longer a small city. We're a big city with big city problems, and we can't solve these problems by ourselves."

Petelos also said Hoover needs a fresh face in the mayor's chair to help end the bickering and infighting between city officials.

Patterson said he's steered away from personal insults and name-calling and tried to focus on issues.

Hoover also has four council seats up for grabs Tuesday.

The candidates are homemaker Mary Sue Ludwig and lawyer Mari Morrison for Place 3; retired U.S. Steel executive Jim Henry and Crest Cadillac Hummer owner Gary Ivey for Place 4; former Mayor Brian Skelton and Mayer Electric President Jim Summerlin for Place 6; and construction company president Mike Natter and Realtor Daniel Whitman for Place 7.  

IP Logged
HSCIN
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/02/08 at 10:40pm

JEFFCO, SHELBY HOPEFULS RAISE NEARLY $100,000, REPORTS SAY  

September 11, 2004  
Page: 14-A  
Candidates in Tuesday's runoffs for mayor and city council seats in Jefferson and Shelby counties collected about $100,000 for the last leg of their campaigns in the past three weeks, according to finance reports filed this week.  

Most of the money - $81,052 - again went to people seeking public office in Hoover. Hoover mayoral candidate Tony Petelos raised more cash than anyone in Jefferson and Shelby counties during the period, taking in $19,922 in contributions.

His opponent, Hoover Councilman Jody Patterson, collected about $2,100 in cash, plus in-kind contributions of $6,181.

Hoover candidates made up eight of the Top 10 fund-raisers for the runoff period. Outside Hoover, the top fund-raiser was Homewood council candidate Laura Gaines, who collected $3,245 for her battle with incumbent Peggy Wininger.

In neighboring St. Clair County, mayoral candidates Joe Funderburg and James McGowan each took in about $2,700 in a rare three-way runoff with Adam Stocks, who added $1,300 to his account.

The $98,480 that Jefferson and Shelby county candidates reported raising in the past three weeks pushes total campaign contributions for the 2004 municipal elections to just under $1 million. Hoover candidates collected about $400,000 of that.

Thanks to the latest contributions, total donations have risen to $58,941 in Alabaster, $38,827 in Homewood, $38,738 in Pell City, $36,940 in Gardendale, $13,067 in Leeds, $11,211 in Adamsville, $9,050 in Fairfield, $8,800 in Tarrant, $5,312 in Argo, $4,639 in Moody, $4,245 in Pinson and $740 in Warrior.  

IP Logged
HSCIN
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/02/08 at 10:41pm

HOOVER CANDIDATES SAID TO HAVE TIES TO FORMER MAYOR
RIVALS CONCERNED ABOUT RETURN OF CITY'S 'GOOD OLD BOYS' NETWORK  

September 11, 2004  
   TROY GOODMAN News staff writer  
Tuesday's City Council runoff in Hoover offers a chance for two candidates with ties to former Mayor Frank Skinner to reclaim influence lost in the 2000 election.  

If former Hoover Mayor Brian Skelton and car dealer Gary Ivey win seats on the council, it would mean a return to old-establishment power brokers, said council candidate Jim Henry.

Skelton and Ivey downplay their prior connections to Skinner, who resigned his 18-year mayor's post in 1999 after pleading guilty to misdemeanor violations of campaign-finance laws.

Skelton is in a runoff for Hoover Council Place 6 with Hoover Planning and Zoning Commission member Jim Summerlin. Summerlin is president of Mayer Electric Supply Co. and lives in Southlake neighborhood off Valleydale Road.

Ivey is in a runoff for Council Place 4 with Henry, a retired U.S. Steel executive who lives in Greystone.

Henry said Skelton and council Place 1 winner Trey Lott approached him before the Aug. 24 election and asked him to drop out of the race or change places and run against someone other than their friend, Ivey.

Henry said they also offered him appointment to city boards and money to cover his campaign expenses. Henry said he refused the offers, then made it into the runoff against Ivey.

Ivey said he knew nothing about Skelton and Lott's request to Henry.

Skelton and Lott said they asked Henry to step out of the race against Ivey, but denied making any offers of board appointments or financial compensation.

Skelton and Lott, Henry said, are trying to stop representation on the council from extending to east Hoover. Currently the mayor and all five council members live west of Interstate 65.

"I haven't heard of anyone trying to revive or re-establish previous administrations. I don't get the connection there," Skelton said.

"I believe the good old boys are back," said Donna Mazur, an outgoing council member. She, along with Mayor Barbara McCollum and three other council members who won the 2000 election, swept out all but one member of the old guard, Jack Wright.

Wright won his third term on the council this year.

McCollum, Mazur and council members Bob Austin and Kyle Forstman lost their re-election bids this time around. Councilman Jody Patterson is in a runoff for mayor with Tony Petelos.

Wright's friend Skelton served on the council from 1994 to 1999, when he was appointed to fill the unexpired term of thenmayor Skinner.

Efforts to reach Wright on Friday were unsuccessful.

Ivey owns the Hoover-based Crest Cadillac Hummer dealership. Both Skelton and Ivey are past supporters of Skinner, although Ivey said he later came to oppose many of Skinner's ideas on running the city. Lott is a friend of Ivey and Skelton, the men said.

Four of seven council seats are to be filled in Tuesday's runoff. Candidates for Hoover's Place 3 council seat are Greystone resident and homemaker Mary Sue Ludwig and lawyer Mari Morrison. Morrison is on the Hoover zoning board and lives in the Paradise Lake community off Alabama 150.

Candidates for the Hoover Place 7 seat are Trace Crossings resident and construction company president Mike Natter and Greystone resident and Realtor Daniel Whitman.  

IP Logged
HSCIN
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/02/08 at 10:43pm

CAMPAIGN CONTRIBUTIONS  

September 11, 2004  
Candidates for municipal offices

Candidates running for mayor and city council seats in Tuesday's municipal election runoffs were required to report campaign contributions and expenses if they raised or spent $1,000 in the past three weeks.  

State law requires that the reports be filed with county probate judges between five and 10 days before the runoff election. The deadline for filing was Thursday.

There are numerous cities in Jefferson, Shelby and St. Clair counties that have runoffs but no candidates reporting contributions or expenditures of $1,000 or more. They include Brighton, Clay, Columbiana, Graysville, Harpersville, Hueytown, Irondale, Mulga, Springville, Vincent and West Jefferson.

Here's a look at reported contributions in cities in Jefferson and Shelby counties and parts of St. Clair County: JEFFERSON, SHELBY  

Hoover Candidates in the Hoover runoffs raked in $81,052 in campaign cash during the most recent three-week reporting period, boosting the total amount raised in this year's Hoover campaigns to nearly $400,000.

Mayoral candidate Tony Petelos raised $19,922 cash in the most recent period and a total of $72,431 during the campaign. Challenger Jody Patterson raised $2,098 in cash during the most recent period and a total of $36,472 for the campaign.

For Council Place 3, Mary Sue Ludwig recently raised $6,460, bringing her total contributions to $20,486. Mari Morrison most recently reported $225 in cash contributions and loaned herself $1,424. Her total campaign contributions were $6,870.

For Council Place 4, Gary Ivey reported $19,073 in new contributions, including a $5,000 loan from himself. That brings Ivey's total contributions to $35,017. His opponent, Jim Henry, received $250 in non-itemized cash contributions in the past three weeks. Henry has raised $2,250 during the entire campaign.

In Council Place 6, Brian Skelton raised $15,800 during the latest reporting period, bringing his total campaign contributions to $30,595. Jim Summerlin recently raised $3,255, pushing his total to $4,755.

In Council Place 7, Daniel Whitman recently raised $7,024, tallying $10,289 during the entire campaign. Mike Natter raised $5,521 during the most recent reporting period, boosting his total to $9,654 for the entire campaign.

Candidates reporting contributions of $100 or more are:

Jody Patterson, for the mayor's race: $4,220 (in-kind consulting, food) - Robbin and Robert Sorrell, Vestavia Hills. $1,511 (in-kind advertising, food) - Crayton and Jane Patterson, Hoover. $1,000 - Shan and Tricia Paden, Hoover. $500 - Birmingham Auto PAC (new car and truck dealer PAC chaired by Brett McBreyer, Birmingham). $250 - Chris Dorris and State Farm Insurance, Hoover. $150 -George and Cindy Mullins, Hoover. $150 (in-kind food) - David and Krista Brewster, Hoover.

Tony Petelos, for the mayor's race: $2,500 - Birmingham Association of Realtors, Birmingham. $1,500 - Bradley Arant Rose and White PAC, Birmingham. $1,000 - Bank of Alabama PAC, Birmingham; Bruce Gordon, Birmingham; Still Hunter Jr., Birmingham; Thomas Logan, Birmingham. $500 - Barge, Waggoner, Sumner & Cannon, Birmingham; Steven Casey, Hoover; Glenn Dorough, Helena; Richard Farrar, Birmingham; Hueytown Chiropractic Clinic; Kent Corp., Birmingham; Phillip Nichols, Birmingham; Frank Schilleci, Montgomery; U.S. Infrastructure Inc., Birmingham; Walston, Wells, Anderson & Bains, Birmingham; Marjorie White, Birmingham. $475 - Jimmie Barnes, Hoover.

$325 - Eugene Byars, Hoover. $300 - Ronald Moore, Birmingham; William White, Hoover. $250 - Alex Farris III, Hoover; Kenneth Gomany, Birmingham; Danny Patterson, Birmingham; Teresa Percy, Trussville; Richard Rookis, Santa Rosa Beach, Fla.; Debbie Thompson, Birmingham. $200 - Austin Cunningham, Hoover; Dunn Building Co., Birmingham; Matthew Fridy, Montevallo; Bob Sanford, Horton; Edward Tumlin, Birmingham. $150 - Accuploy Inc., Hoover.

$100 - Beers Properties LLC, Hoover;; James Birchall, Birmingham; Ellis Brazeal III, Birmingham; Curtin & Associates, Birmingham; N. Christian Glenos, Birmingham; Heyward Hosch III, Birmingham; Mary Jackson, Hoover; Kimberly Livingston, Birmingham; He len McMahon, Birmingham; Jackie Mitchell, Birmingham; Susan Murrell, Hoover; Mark Myatt, Birmingham; Terry Ratigan, Alabaster; David Ringelstein II, Mountain Brook; George Singleton, Hoover; K.M. Trowbridge, Hoover; John Wilson, Hoover.

Mary Sue Ludwig, for Council Place 3: $5,000 - E.A. Drummond, Jasper. $1,000 - Dolphus Morrison, Hoover. Mari Morrison, for Council Place 3: $1,424 - Self-loan. $100 - Bill Ash, Vestavia Hills; Linda Chastain, Hoover.

Gary Ivey, for council Place 4: $5,000 - Alex and Suzy Baker, Birmingham; Self-loan. $2,000 - Leslie Keith, Birmingham. $1,500 - BES PAC (free enterprise PAC chaired by Stephen Bradley, Birmingham). $1,000 - Birmingham Auto PAC (new car and truck dealer PAC chaired by Brett McBreyer, Birmingham); Alabama Builders PAC, Montgomery. $500 - Stan Adams, Southlake; Robert Pears, Hoover; Mike and Robin Wood, Birmingham; WPH LLC, Birmingham. $250 - Goodwyn, Mills & Cawood PAC, Montgomery; KAN Inc., Birmingham; SouthTrust Corp., Hoover. $200 - Austin Cunningham, Birmingham; Doug Clark Properties, Pelham. $100 - David Fievet, Birmingham; Steve Flowers, Hoover.

Brian Skelton, for Council Place 6: $5,000 - Alex and Suzy Baker, Birmingham. $2,000 - Leslie Keith, Birmingham. $1,500 - ALA BIZ PAC (free enterprise PAC chaired by Stephen Bradley, Birmingham. $1,000 - Alabama Builders PAC, Montgomery. $500 - Stanley Adams, Birmingham; Birmingham Auto PAC (new car and truck dealer PAC chaired by Brett McBreyer, Birmingham); Greystone Health Partners, Inc., Birmingham Robert Pears, Birmingham; South Haven Management Corp., Birmingham; The Barron Group, Inc., Birmingham; The South Haven Corp., Birmingham;

Michael or Robin Wood, Birmingham; WPH LLC, Birmingham. $250 - KAN Inc., Birmingham; Stuart Nichols, Birmingham. $200 - Michael or Kathryn Ousley, Birmingham; Melinda or Richard Rushing Jr., Birmingham; Bryan Starr Jr., Birmingham. $200 - Austin Cunningham, Birmingham. $100 - Mr. or Mrs. Beelher Creasman, Birmingham; Joann Lewis, Birmingham; Meter & Lowe LLC, Birmingham; Stephen and Lynn Shepherd, Birmingham.

Jim Summerlin, for Council Place 6: $2,500 - Self-contribution. $300 - Dr. Doug Christopher, Hoover. $100 - Ralph Cash, Hoover; Johnny Morgan, Hoover. Daniel Whitman, for Council Place 7: $2,900 - Self-loan. $500 - Stanley Adams, Birmingham; Keith Development Corp., Birmingham; Lake Cyrus Development Co., Birmingham; Prime Realty Inc., Birmingham; Smith Paving Inc., Birmingham. $300 - Charles Daniel, Birmingham. $250 - James Summerlin, Birmingham. $200 - Henry Dailey, Birmingham; Givianpour House Account, Birmingham; Donald Morgan, Birmingham. $150 - Brylnda Roper, Birmingham. $100 - Bernie Higginbotham III, Birmingham; Louise Robertson, Birmingham.

Mike Natter, for Council Place 7: $2,000 - Political Action PAC, Montgomery. $500 - Heather Natter, Hoover; WPH LLC, Hoover. $250 - Mike Wood, Hoover.

IP Logged
HSCIN
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/02/08 at 10:44pm

PETELOS OUTPACES PATTERSON IN CAMPAIGN FUND RAISING  

September 10, 2004  
Page: 1-C  
   JEREMY GRAY News staff writer  
Hoover mayoral candidate Tony Petelos raised nearly 10 times as much money during the past three weeks as his challenger in Tuesday's runoff, Jody Patterson.  

According to campaign finance disclosure forms filed in Jefferson and Shelby County probate courts, Petelos raised $19,922 in the final reporting period, while Patterson raised $2,098.

The most recent numbers bring the candidates' total campaign contributions to $72,431 for Petelos and $36,472 for Patterson.

Petelos' largest cash contribution since the Aug. 24 general election, $2,500, came from the Birmingham Association of Realtors Political Action Committee in separate donations of $1,000 and $1,500.

Patterson's largest cash contribution of $1,000 in the final reporting period came from Tricia and Shan Paden.

Attorney Shan Paden served as special counsel for Hoover when out-going City Council President Bob Austin sued Mayor Barbara McCollum this year over a plan to expand Hoover's council from five to seven members.

A Jefferson County judge ruled the expansion could go forward.

Along with Petelos' contributions from the Birmingham Realtors PAC, he also received $1,000 individual contributions from Thomas Logan and Still Hunter Jr., both Birmingham residents, and $1,000 from the Bank of Alabama Political Action Committee.

Bank of Alabama last year opened a bilingual branch on Lorna Road in Hoover to serve the city's growing Hispanic community. Petelos has pledged in his campaign to rid Lorna Road of the Hispanic day laborers who congregate in the area.

The rest of Petelos' cash contributions were for $750 or less, mostly from area residents and businesses. Some of his contributions came from outside the metro area, including $250 from a resident of Santa Rosa Beach, Fla., and $200 from a resident of Horton, Ala. Another $500 came from a Montgomery resident.

Hoover money

Patterson was critical of the out-of-area contributions.

Petelos' contributions from outside Hoover are "politically connected somehow and I think it's bad for the city," Patterson said.

Petelos said the majority of his contributions come from Hoover residents and businesspeople and that there is nothing sinister about the out-of-area donations.

Patterson said he lagged behind Petelos in fund-raising because he dedicated more time to "running a good campaign" than soliciting donations.

City council candidates Brian Skelton and Gary Ivey lead the fund-raising pack among the eight council candidates competing in the Sept. 14 runoff.

Skelton, a candidate for Place 6, has raised $15,800 in the last three weeks, and Ivey, who is seeking election to the Place 4 seat, raised $19,073, including a $5,000 loan from himself.

Jim Summerlin, Skelton's opponent in the Place 6 race, raised $3,255 since the last reporting period, which included a $2,500 self-loan.

Jim Henry, Ivey's opponent in the Place 4 race, raised $250.

Skelton's and Ivey's largest cash contributions, each $5,000, came from Birmingham residents Suzy and Alex Baker.

Ivey said the contributor was AIG Baker President and CEO Alex Baker. AIG Baker is the development company that built the Patton Creek and Lee Branch shopping centers.

Places 7, 3

Place 7 candidate Daniel Whitman raised $7,024 in the last three weeks. That amount included a $2,900 donation to himself, as well as $500 from the Lake Cyrus Development Corp. and $200 from Givianpour House Account.

Those companies are linked to Lake Cyrus developer Charles Givianpour.

Whitman said he and Givianpour were friends and he was not concerned that accepting his contributions would counter the image he has attempted to put forth as a candidate who favors "managed growth."

Mike Natter, who is running against Whitman, raised $5,521 in the last three weeks.

Place 3 candidate Mary Sue Ludwig raised $6,460 since the last reporting period, which included $5,000 from E.A. Drummond, president of the Drummond Company where Ludwig was once employed.

Mari Morrison, who is run ning against Ludwig, raised $1,649 since the last reporting period, including a $1,424 loan from herself.  

IP Logged
HSCIN
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 05/02/08 at 10:45pm

SPEAK OUT  

September 8, 2004  
Page: 2-H  
Why was voter turnout so low? The voters of Hoover recently had the opportunity to cast their vote for mayor and council members of their city. There are approximately 40,000 registered voters in the city of Hoover.  

Approximately 14,500 of these cared enough to go to the polls and cast their vote. This indicates that 25,000 Hoover citizens don't care who runs their city! Sad is it not?

Sixty-five percent of Hoover's voting citizens don't value the fact that thousands, even millions of our people have died since 1776 so that we have a say as to who is elected to a place of leadership in our country.

We will have a chance to vote on who will be our next president in November. Will you stay away from the polls again? If you do, don't complain later. David L. Ponds Hoover  

CCFFH members tout Patterson We, the undersigned, are active members of the CCFFHThe Concerned Citizens for the Future of Hoover. One is a 2000 CCFFH founding member and all are 2004 members, with one a current officer, and all were involved in the 2004 interview and evaluation teams of the Hoover mayoral and council elections.

We urge all Hoover residents to review CCFFH's Web site at www.ccffh.org to learn some of the group's comments on the runoff candidates and read the model for the ideal candidate.

This is an unfortunate letter in that some members of CCFFH, among them the signers, feel our organization has made a grave error and deviated from our original group goal of coendorsing all equally qualified candidates. This may have misled Hoover's voters regarding mayoral candidates Jody Patterson and Tony Petelos.

These candidates were both found highly acceptable by a group of CCFFH members. The group was stalemated on selecting the two candidates and discussions of the original plan of the co-endorsement were not successful. An unfortunate decision was made to endorse only one candidate and not coendorse the two highly acceptable candidates. The fear was the possible risk of splitting the vote and ending up with neither candidate being elected. In a recent meeting with members and guests to discuss the runoff, it was decided not to return to the original plan to issue co-endorsements, but to continue with the flawed process of endorsing a single candidate.

With both candidates being selected as highly acceptable, we feel it is the public's right to know how the selection process was conducted and how, in our opinion, it was a flawed process to the detriment of the mayoral candidates and voters.

While we feel Mr. Patterson better fits the CCFFH model, we realize that it was not equitable to revoke the prior flawed endorsement process. We strongly feel that Mr. Patterson should have been endorsed as well. He has a long-standing personal and professional stake in Hoover. He was elected to the City Council four years ago and has kept the promises he made to the voters and this group. As an example, he was on the Planning and Zoning Board until he refused to vote for the Ross Bridge development because it included 600 apartments. Mr. Patterson has local level and broad experience on the council and Planning and Zoning Board, something Mr. Petelos lacks at the working level.

As leaders of CCFFH we feel this should be brought to the attention of Hoover's voters for their consideration in the upcoming runoff election. George Mullins, Fred Benjamin, Ruth Peters and Nick Peters Hoover  

District officials prone to mistakes I have been following Hoover's politics for a number of years, and especially the current election. Of particular interest is the desire of some for election of council members by district. While I understand their motives and needs, I feel that they need to study the mistakes of other cities in this regard in order to keep from making the same mistakes.

Prior to retiring, I spent over 30 years in public service, from county government, to being a department head in municipal government. I worked for a city that went from a five-person council elected at large, to a seven-member council elected by district. The change was not only dramatic for those of us who had to make the city run on a day-to-day basis, (not the elected officials), but was very disruptive and inefficient.

Instead of all elected officials answerable to all citizens, they only had to please the small group in their district where their votes came from. All department heads ever heard was, "What are you doing in my district?" Instead of directing services where they were most needed, they were spread out to areas which actually needed less. Employees were pulled in seven different directions whether warranted or not. This is not efficient.

Politically, with a mayor elected at large and council members by district, there was always conflict. The mayor is trying to fill the needs of the entire city, and seven council members were only interested in "their" district. This not only stifled proper growth, but caused constant conflict and polarization. In addition, when you do get a bad egg, and eventually you will, it is almost impossible for voters to remove them as long as they can hoodwink the small number of voters in "their" district.

The voters of Hoover have just spoken out loudly and clearly that they were sick and tired of such polarization and petty bickering and childish behavior on the part of their politicians and have demanded that future leaders be professionals, treating disagreement as professional rather than personal.

The City of Hoover has finally reached a point of possibly having a professional governing body and being able to be proud rather than ashamed of their conduct. Seven council members is no problem, however, from real personal experience, I fear that by district voting we may very well regress rather than progress. The secret is for all citizens to become more involved in the welfare of the entire city rather than just their neighborhood. W. Gibson Hoover  

IP Logged
HSCIN
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 05/02/08 at 10:46pm

SPEAK OUT  

September 8, 2004  
Community voices possible

The purpose behind seeking the two additional city council seats was to give more areas a voice in city government. We now have an opportunity to make that happen. 3 areas of Hoover now have a voice - Old Hoover (Jack Wright); Bluff Park (Gene Smith); and Greystone (Trey Lott), and there are opportunities to give a voice to Riverchase (Gary Ivey); Trace Crossings (Mike Natter); Paradise Lake/Lakeside (Mari Morrison); and also, either Southlake (Jim Summerlin) or Lake Cyrus (Brian Skelton). It is now up to the voters to make this fact, and no one area would be in the majority.  

Successful business people have come forward to offer their services because of their concern for the future of Hoover and its continued success. We know the problems, and these require real experience, abilities, knowledge and commitment to ensure the best resolutions for the city.

We have an opportunity to have representation from many areas to create unity in Hoover, and we have candidates who have shown by their own experiences that they are qualified and able to accomplish the serious tasks we are facing.

We also have small groups of people trying to influence our vote. We need to look at each candidate ourselves, and do our own homework. We can't afford to take the word of others, who might have an agenda of their own, or be too close to a candidate to really be objective.

We want Hoover to be second to none. Let's get together and make it happen. We have to get it right this time! Four more years with the wrong candidates could bring disaster to our city. Betty Jean Barker Greystone

Petelos can win runoff When Tony Petelos first announced that he was a candidate for Hoover mayor, I thought it might make for an interesting race, but I never really gave much thought as to whether he could win. He and his family had lived in Hoover for a relatively short period of time. Even though he is wellknown in Republican circles, I thought the opposition would be too strong for people like Jody Patterson or even Jack Wright, who later withdrew. These two men had lived in Hoover all their lives.

My wife, Judy, and I went to the Petelos Headquarters election night, and in looking around the room I realized why Tony did so well and almost won without a run-off against very strong opposition.

First of all, you would have thought there was a meeting of all the local GOP. In fact, I never did hear of any of the local Republicans supporting any other candidate for mayor besides Tony, with the exception of Spencer Bachus, who gave $1,000 to the present mayor's campaign fund.

The headquarters was also packed with members from the Greek community, who turned out in force, obviously proud that Tony had done so well. Judy and I saw some of our friends, both Republican and Greek friends, who we had not seen in many years.

I don't think it was a coincidence that Tony Petelos' headquarters was only a short walk to the Gilbert Douglas family compound on Patton Chapel Road. Gilbert Douglas III is county chairman of the Republican party and was one of Petelos' supporters.

On a personal basis, my wife and I had decided a couple of months ago to vote for Tony, but that is all we were going to do. About six years ago, we decided to forego just about all political activities and contributing to candidates to concentrate on spending time with our children and grandchildren. I realized there was going to have to be a major change in the city administration, but we were just going to limit our activity to voting for the candidate of our choice. While talking to Ginger Bryant, an active Republican and part of Tony's campaign staff, I mentioned to her one day a few months ago that I was going to support Tony, and like the good Republican that she is, she immediately told Tony, and within less than a week, Judy and I had an invitation to attend a function on his behalf.

That was a good example of him not letting an opportunity by to ensure the support of just two voters in Hoover.

Tony's suggestion early on in the campaign that Hoover is now a large city and needs its own legal department was one of the issues that attracted us to his campaign. We have no need in a city the size of Hoover to have a patronage appointment of the city attorney that costs us almost $500,000 a year.

Jody Patterson is a fine man, but there is no way he can overcome the amount of support that Tony has for making changes in the City of Hoover. Jody can do all of us a favor and make a wonderful statement by conceding the election to Tony. I hope he considers this option. Jim Holliman Hoover  

IP Logged
HSCIN
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 05/02/08 at 10:47pm

LOVE OR HATE ELECTIONS, BUT VOTE  

September 8, 2004  
   Peggy Sanford  
Right now I'm deep into the throes of a love/hate relationship with election season. And I'm not even including the presidential elections  

I'm talking Hoover and the political swirl leading up to the Sept. 14 runoff elections for mayor and four of the seven City Council seats.  

Political races, as candidates and coalitions vie for office (authority, power, influence - take your pick), often have their dark edges where truth tends to get lost in the shadows.

It's impossible to really know a candidate's motivations for seeking office, and rumor, accusation and innuendo are almost always going to fly. Sometimes it's easier to turn away in frustration or disgust than to risk voting for a candidate who may prove disappointing, or worse, dishonest.

That uncertainty and the half-truths and calculated misdirection that can come with political battles all factor into the downside of my relationship with politics and elections.

On the more inspiring side, government and the American process of free and open elections are never any closer to us than in municipal elections. Our city officials will make decisions that affect us directly and daily, regulating how we build our homes, how well we are protected in them and what can be built next to them. City officials also will influence the condition of the roads we drive routinely and appoint the officials who oversee the schools our children attend.

For most of us, if we're ever to meet, interact or socialize with the people running our government, it will be with elected officials of the city where we live.

Hoover residents can have a real say in the direction the city will take by casting an informed vote for their city leaders.

Trying to help them do that, by interviewing candidates, reporting who gives them money and trying to keep pace with the issues and how candidates are responding to them is a pursuit and responsibility we journalists take seriously.

It's the quest to help inform and the feeling of taking part in the process of democratic elections that figure into the love side of my connection with politics. A free press is critical to an informed electorate.

Someone will be elected as Hoover's mayor and council members whether 4,000 or 40,000 people vote. There's no perfect candidate, no perfect slate.

We are, however, blessed with the opportunity to decide who our leaders will be. It's our responsibility to take that opportunity seriously.

Try not to vote blindly. Try to learn something about the candidates who will begin making decisions for the City of Hoover come Oct. 1.

Vote your conscience, and pray for the best.  

IP Logged
HSCIN
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 05/02/08 at 10:47pm

MINORITY CANDIDATES FINISH AT, NEAR BOTTOM  

September 8, 2004  
Page: 6-H  
The members of Hoover's two largest minority populations who vied for council seats in the city's general election received only a sliver of the vote in either of their two races.  

Darnell Coley, who is black, sought election to the Place 2 seat while John Ocampo, who is Hispanic, tried to win election to the newly created Place 7 seat.

Coley finished last in a race among four candidates, capturing 5 percent of the vote.

Ocampo finished next to last in a race among eight candidates. He received 3.78 percent of the votes cast in that race.

According to the 2000 Census, nearly 7 percent of Hoover's 62,742 residents were black and about 4 percent were of Hispanic descent, totaling about 11 percent of the city's population.

Coley's and Ocampo's defeats leave Hoover without any minority members on its city council.

In contrast, the community of Greystone, which accounts for about 7 percent of the city's population, could seat four members on the city's sevenmember council.

One Greystone resident, Trey Lott, won a seat in the general election and three others - Jim Henry, Mary Sue Ludwig and Daniel Whitman - are in three of the city's four council runoff races.

According to the 2000 census, Greystone had 4,175 residents, or almost 7 percent of the city's population, said Brett Isom, the senior geographic information systems analyst for the Regional Planning Commission of Greater Birmingham.

Isom said while the number of residents in Greystone might have increased since 2000, the percentage is likely to have stayed about the same because of increases in population in other areas of Hoover.

Coley, an adjunct law professor at Miles College, said race was never an issue in the campaign.

She hinted at a future run for office, saying she would have to "work harder" next time to raise campaign funds.

Coley also said not being endorsed by the Concerned Citizens for the Future of Hoover hurt her campaign.

Ocampo said he saw receiving 497 votes as a victory.

"We never expected to receive that many votes," he said.

Ocampo said he believes the number of Hispanics in Hoover has tripled since the census was taken.

He said he is worried that Hispanics will not be well-represented for the next four years and plans to run for a city office in 2008.

One urban affairs expert said a key to having more minorities involved in city government is to switch from at-large, or citywide, elections to a district system.

"The chances of minorities getting elected on an at-large council is greatly decreased," said Robert Corley, director of the Center For Urban Affairs at the University of Alabama at Birmingham.

As cities grow, they usually switch to the district system, either by choice or court order, Corley said.  

IP Logged
HSCIN
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 05/02/08 at 10:48pm

MAZUR: HOOVER VOTERS WILL REGRET OUSTING MCCOLLUM  

September 8, 2004  
Page: 4-H  
Mayor Barbara McCollum lost re-election because she wouldn't accept the status quo, said Councilwoman Donna Mazur, one of the mayor's strongest allies who also lost her bid for re-election.  

Two other council incumbents, Kyle Forstman and Bob Austin, said they still are pondering what led to their defeat.

Four years ago, those three council members, along with McCollum and Councilman Jody Patterson, were swept into office on a tide of voter dissatisfaction.

On Aug. 24, voters cleaned house again, sweeping McCollum and three of those council members out of office.

Patterson is in the runoff for mayor against Tony Petelos, while incumbent Councilman Jack Wright won re-election a second time.

Mazur, who finished last in a four-way race, links her defeat to McCollum's ouster.

"She's not a politician and she cleaned things up," Mazur said of the outgoing mayor.

"I'm not a politician either," she said.

"You can do something right and not get elected, or do something the wrong way and keep things the same and get reelected," Mazur said.

McCollum was unable to get support for her plans from some high-ranking city employees because they were angry that the mayor limited their authority, Mazur said.

With McCollum gone, Mazur warned that those "good ol' boys" will do what they please "with nobody watching them."

"The people of Hoover are going to realize what they've lost," she said.

Forstman, who finished third in a three-way race, said the feedback he got on the campaign trail didn't reflect the election results.

"The majority of the people I met had a lot of positive things to say," he recalled.

Forstman said he was hurt by the fact that challenger Gary Ivey was able to loan his own campaign $12,000, while Forstman had to solicit the nearly $15,000 he collected in campaign contributions.

"The fund-raising time took away from the campaigning time," he said.

Another obstacle, Forstman said, was that so many of the six mayoral candidates, who came from across Hoover, cam paigned on an anti-incumbent platform.

"They solidified their home bases and that made it difficult to go into those different areas and campaign," Forstman said.

Austin, the council president, was one of McCollum's supporters in the early days of her administration, but eventually became one of her most outspoken critics.

"I gave her the benefit of the doubt on many occasions, but it got to the point that the doubt was too great," he said.

While the mayor and her supporters suffered defeat, Austin lost to challenger Trey Lott by more than 5,500 votes.

"I'm satisfied with the people's choice and I'll be there to question them (council members) if I think they're making the wrong decisions just like there were people there to question me," Austin said.  

IP Logged
HSCIN
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 05/02/08 at 10:48pm

CANDIDATES MAKE THEIR CASES
PETELOS VOWS TO STEER CLEAR OF COUNCIL'S 'PETTY POLITICS'  

September 8, 2004  
There were times in the recent campaign season when Hoover mayoral candidate Tony Petelos said he knew he would have enough voter support to make it to the runoff.  

Enough residents had let him and his campaign volunteers know that Petelos' promise of slowed growth, smart financial management and improved council-mayor relations was what they sought. Indeed, the former state representative earned enough of the general-election vote to continue pushing the same message for the Sept. 14 runoff.

The challenge now, Petelos said, is holding on to the lead against his opponent, City Councilman Jody Patterson, who shares many of the same governing principals as he does. The two beat incumbent Mayor Barbara McCollum and challengers Bob Lochamy and Stephen Bryant in the city's Aug. 24 election.

Petelos, 51, said the biggest dis tinction between him and Patterson is that he represents a new voice in Hoover's leadership. Patterson is a first-term councilman who once belonged to McCollum's 2000 "dream team" - four candidates and the mayor who campaigned together and won the election four years ago.

Patterson split with McCollum, though, about a year after the election.

Petelos is pushing for a fresh face in the city's top job, which he said could alleviate the ongoing infighting between the council and the mayor.

"The big issue now is dealing with a brand new City Council and making this city work," Petelos said.

"And (regarding) getting away from our old, petty politics, Jody was a part of the original 'dream team' . . . Jody is a part of the City Council and Jody's been there for four years," he said.

Immigration

Another difference between him and his opponent is how each would seek stronger enforcement of immigration laws to minimize concerns about Hispanic day laborers who gather along Lorna Road near the Municipal Center, Petelos said.

Patterson wants to seek U.S. Department of Homeland Security-backed training for some city police officers to beef up enforcement. Patterson also plans to convene a 10-member task force to address Lorna Roadand immigration-related topics.

Petelos is pushing for Hoover to partner with Pelham, Helena, Alabaster and other cities to fund a federal immigration agent to work the area and crack down on those who may be in this country illegally.

Petelos also has come out strongly against the day-laborer pick-up component of the Multicultural Resource Center on Municipal Drive. The center provides an organized place for workers to gather for on-thespot job assignments. It also works with immigrants to register, obtain health referrals and find non-work-related services such as Spanish-friendly banking, language classes and counseling.

"We are providing an opendoor policy for illegals in this city and that has to change," Petelos said of the labor pick-up service.

Petelos, a second-generation Greek immigrant, lives in Lake Cyrus and has called Jefferson County home his entire life, he said.

Safety Center

Since announcing his candidacy in November, he has railed against McCollum for spending $34 million to buy and renovate a former warehouse into the Hoover Public Safety Center.

Now that the Valleydale Road building is open, Petelos said he would, if elected, find ways to better utilize space inside the Safety Center. He said he also wants to consider earning revenue by renting out parcels of the 180,000-square-feet of unused space inside the building. The state Department of Forensic Sciences has bought 40,000 square feet inside for a future lab.

"I would like to see us do an analysis of how much (safety center) space we have left, how much parking, how much is complete, incomplete and then see if we have any more luck at drawing state agencies or federal agencies to rent space," Petelos said.

On the issue of slowed growth, Petelos continues to call for impact statements before any major annexations or development takes place so that city schools, police, fire and other services will be prepared for new homes or added retail space.

He doesn't have concrete ideas on urban renewal along Lorna Road or the U.S. 31 corridor. Petelos is pushing for the adoption of a city housing code that would limit the number of people who live under one roof or in a certain amount of space.

The code would also include a property maintenance section to help city inspectors deal with rundown commercial and residential structures.

Petelos applauded the Hoover City Council's recent expansion from five to seven members. He vowed to be a part of any discussion on changing the council's at-large voting system to district elections.

If elected, he plans to create a community service officer position to help residents navigate the city bureaucracy. Petelos said he would fire City Attorney Steve Griffin and hire in-house counsel. That is because Griffin is a non-city worker who bills the Finance Department monthly for his legal fees, a costly arrangement, Petelos said.

Petelos is still campaigning on his experience of working with other lawmakers and being able to oversee an agency, the state Department of Human Resources, and its budget process.

After his three terms in the Alabama House of Representatives, Petelos was appointed DHR commissioner in 1997. He left office in 2000 to focus on his private construction firm, Multicon Inc., which has done some retail projects.

His two children, Angela and Stephanie, attend Hoover schools and his wife, Teresa, is a circuit judge in Jefferson County's Bessemer Division.

Petelos said voters have told him the city has certain needs in terms of public facilities, staffing and better programs. The challenge, he said, will be figuring out how to pay for new items under the current $76.5 million spending plan.

"Apparently there is a tremendous wish list out there, but there are only limited resources," Petelos said. "We're going to have to look at the budget to determine what we can and can't do."  

IP Logged
HSCIN
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 05/02/08 at 10:50pm

GREYSTONE MAKES BID AT POLITICAL INFLUENCE RUNOFFS COULD PUT MAJORITY OF COUNCIL IN CONTROL OF EAST HOOVER NEIGHBORHOOD  

September 7, 2004  
Page: 1-A  
The Hoover neighborhood of Greystone has staked its claim in city politics and, depending on the outcome of council runoffs, could shift the balance of power from the city's core to its eastern edge.  

The Hoover City Council is set to have its first Greystone council member, Trey Lott, sworn into office Oct. 4. If three other Greystone residents win their runoff races, they would join Lott and establish a Greystone majority on the seven-member council.

Greystone residents in the Sept. 14 runoffs for three council seats are Mary Sue Ludwig, Jim Henry and Daniel Whitman. They each face candidates Mari Morrison, Gary Ivey and Mike Natter, respectively.

"To go from zero representation to a chance for four is significant," said Henry, a retired steel executive who has become active in Hoover politics in recent years. He attributes the rise in participation to Greystone homeowners wanting a voice in growth, zoning and school-related issues.

Candidate Ludwig, a Greystone Homeowners Association board member, said residents in the gated community make a regular showing in the council chambers because they feel Hoover's leadership takes them for granted. Ludwig has lobbied to slow the spread of big retailers along U.S. 280. She also wants to strengthen restrictive covenants made by developers when they build in the city.

"I really think that Greystone has come of age politically," Ludwig said. She lost a 1996 bid for election to the council, sat out the 2000 race, then joined a push to expand the council from five to seven members before this year's election.

Natural result

Morrison, Ludwig's opponent in the runoff, said shifting the center of politics away from the core areas such as U.S. 31, Alabama 150 and Bluff Park is a natural result of growth in a democracy. Mayor Barbara McCollum and all five council members live west of Interstate 65.

Morrison is a member of the city Planning and Zoning Commission who lives just west of the Riverchase Galleria. She said Greystone gaining too much council control could happen at the expense of older areas.

"They have an agenda: they have not been represented in the past," Morrison said.

Henry and another Greystone activist, Betty Jean Barker, said they doubt all four of the community's candidates will be elected due to their opponents strong showing in the Aug. 24 general election.

Outgoing Councilman Kyle Forstman, of Russet Woods in the southwestern corner of the city, said he believes it is wise to have elected leaders from east of I-65. He cautioned against having a majority of council seats occupied by one eastern neighborhood when so much of Hoo ver's recent growth is westward.

"We are elected at-large, not by districts, so every area of the city should feel they have equal voice on the council, not just those people who live on U.S. 280," Forstman said.

Greystone has 2,600 homes spread across 3,000 wooded acres, according to its developer, Daniel Corp.

Greystone's voter turnout jumped in the latest election, from 23 percent in 2000 to 29 percent in 2004. Greystone's more than 4,000 residents represent about 7 percent of the city's population, according the 2000 U.S. Census. The overall Hoover election turnout Aug. 24 was 36 percent of registered voters.

One of the first issues to stir Greystone homeowners was a proposed 78-acre hotel-shopping complex called Tattersall Park at the northeast corner of U.S. 280 and Alabama 119.

Greystone activists rallied against the project because they said it would violate their neighborhood's covenants. Tattersall Park developer EBSCO Industries Corp. dropped its plans for the site when negotiations failed with potential retailers.

When the issue came up in recent months to expand the City Council, Greystone's Henry joined the fight against McCollum to win court approval of the plan. The Alabama Legislature and Gov. Bob Riley OK'd the plan, but McCollum refused to sign the measure, saying it would violate election laws.

A judge later ruled the council expansion should go forward.

After McCollum lost her Aug. 24 bid for re-election, several Greystone candidates said the seven-member council issue was a small part of her defeat.

More important, several candidates said, was her unwillingness to consider how school issues, development and wasteful spending would affect basic services like police and fire protection in Greystone, Inverness, Southlake and other eastern areas.

Randolph Horn, an associate professor in Samford University's political science department, said the Greystone rise in activism is common in areas of high growth with an educated populace.

In Hoover, he said, it also is a sign of the center of politics shifting from west of I-65 toward the east. That focus may head west or south in the future, once neighborhoods in those areas start working to be heard at city hall, Horn said.

A geographic shift in city politics "is the kind of phenomenon you might recognize over the course of decades in most places, but here it is happening over the course of years," Horn said.  

IP Logged
HSCIN
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 05/02/08 at 10:51pm

HOOVER COALITION WILL REVIVE TO BOOST VOTER PARTICIPATION  

September 1, 2004  
A citizens group created nearly 18 years ago to push for the establishment of Hoover's school system may return.  

Bob Lochamy, who lost a bid for mayor in Hoover's Aug. 24 election, said last week he intends to resurrect the Hoover Citizens Action Coalition. The group plans to search for a fiveto seven-member executive committee, for which Lochamy will serve as chairman, he said.

The goal of the coalition will be to boost the city's 36 percent voter turnout in the recent election and provide a venue for residents to bring their concerns to elected leaders before key decision are made, Lochamy said.

Organizers plan to hold public meetings and schedule meetings with the Hoover City Council and the school board to study ways to increase voter registration, participation and citizen involvement in issues affecting the city, Lochamy said. Among the subjects to be addressed by the coalition are residential growth, annexations, illegal immigrants, school rezoning, district elections and term limits for elected leaders, Lochamy said.

"We want to build and bond relationships, not become antagonists" with city hall or the school board, he said.

Formed in December 1987, the original Citizens Action Coalition disbanded a year later after the city school system was formed. The group's core leaders were five residents who wanted separation from the Jefferson County school system, Lochamy said.

He, Greg Schnute, City Councilman Jack Wright, Morrisey Marich and Margie George were part of the original board, Lochamy said.

Lochamy and Schnute, who now lives in Atlanta, announced last week they wanted to renew the coalition to make a difference in Hoover politics. Wright, who won a third term to the City Council, said Friday he did not want to be a part of the new coalition. He declined to say why he would not participate.

"I have no comment on what Mr. Lochamy wants to do. I wish him well," Wright said.

Lochamy said there will be a key distinction between the new coalition and the existing Concerned Citizens for the Future of Hoover citizens' group. CCFH endorsed a list of mayor and council candidates in the 2000 and 2004 elections. The coalition will not make endorsements, Lochamy said.

The coalition also will later vote on capping individual contributions it will accept at $100, similar to the cap Lochamy placed on contributions to his mayoral campaign, he said.

"We want to do everything in our power to protect the independence and integrity of the new group," Lochamy said.  

IP Logged
HSCIN
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 05/02/08 at 10:51pm

LUDWIG, MORRISON CITE CITY CIVIC INVOLVEMENT IN RUNOFF  

September 1, 2004  
Page: 4-H  
The candidates for Place 3 of the Hoover City Council say the Sept. 14 runoff is more than just a matter of geography.  

Mary Sue Ludwig and Mari Morrison are vying for the Place 3 seat. Ludwig is one of three Greystone residents competing in runoffs. Another Greystone resident, Trey Lott, was elected to the Place 1 seat.

Ludwig, a 66-year-old homemaker, and Morrison, a 53-year-old attorney, said the most important issue in the runoff is electing capable candidates.

Morrison hopes to convince Greystone voters that she has shown in her work on the Planning and Zoning Commission that she is dedicated to helping people in every community.

"My votes represented, for the most part, what the residents wanted," she said.

Ludwig said her 12-years of community involvement has prepared her to help all Hoover residents as well.

New industry Morrison, a former salesperson for Blue Cross Blue Shield, wants to see Hoover restructure its industrial development board, which she said now meets on "an as-needed basis."

Morrison said the body should function more as an economic development board composed of executive officers from area companies and local business owners.

"I know how involved these people are with other businesses for supplies or other facets of their work," she said.

"I know we could get their cooperation and maybe bring in their fellow vendors," she said.

The city, Morrison argues, should focus on bringing in more industry rather than commercial retail development.

"We're going to be losing a lot of people who have been coming here to shop" because of growing retail centers in Shelby County, she said. Sewer systems Ludwig, who ran unsuccessfully for the Hoover council in 1996, said one of the biggest problems Greystone residents have faced involved the sewer system.

Now, she said, Hoover wants to abandon its sewer system in Riverchase because it needs to be repaired.

"Hoover wants to get rid of it. They're going to leave it in the hands of Jefferson County, which doesn't have a good record of managing people's money," she said.

"I can help with that."

Ludwig said details of what she would do in office are hard to offer until constituents come to her with their individual problems.

"We can, as council people, be helpful to the people," she said. Mayor, council relationship Both candidates had admittedly strained relationships with outgoing Mayor Barbara McCollum and both said if elected they will strive to forge working relationship with whomever voters put in office.

Morrison supported McCollum in her 2000 campaign and was appointed by the mayor to the city's Planning and Zoning Commission. Morrison later told reporters she was not satisfied with the mayor's leadership.

Ludwig was a frequent critic of the mayor, particularly on McCollum's refusal to support efforts to expand the city council.

"This wasn't a personal thing with the mayor, it was about issues," Ludwig said.

Both candidates say they want the next administration to lack the acrimony of the present one.

"I've always been the kind of person who tried to resolve issues," Morrison said. "You've got to be a negotiator; sometimes you've got to set the standard yourself," she said.

Ludwig said she believes everyone competing in the runoff has the best interests of the city at heart and she'll work with all of them to reach a consensus.

"As long as they try to do what's best for the city, I won't argue with them," Ludwig said. Dollars and endorsements Morrison was endorsed by the Concerned Citizens for the Future of Hoover. Ludwig, however, said group members told her its endorsement of Morrison was simply because she had served on the planning commission.

Ludwig said her relationship with the mayor kept her off city boards.

While Morrison might have that endorsement to boost her campaign, Ludwig has the money, according to campaign finance disclosures.

Ludwig was able to raise more than $14,000 in her campaign, nearly three times that of Morrison, who has financed her campaign with a self-loan and some small donations.

In general election votes, Morrison edged ahead of Ludwig.

Morrison claimed 4,421 votes, Ludwig, 4,189 votes. The two will vie for the votes that went to John Goodwyn and incumbent Donna Mazur who received 2,391 votes and 2,194 votes respectively.  

IP Logged
HSCIN
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 05/02/08 at 10:52pm

CANDIDATES FOCUS ON CAREFUL GROWTH  

September 1, 2004  
Page: 6-H  
Candidates for Place 6 of the Hoover City Council said the city's leaders must be careful in how they allow the city to grow.  

Former Mayor Brian Skelton, 44, and Mayer Electric President Jim Summerlin, 57, each said that, if elected in the Sept. 14 runoff, they'd help guide future growth in a positive way.

"We have the capability of adding almost 12,000 new front doors with no annexations" because Hoover already has a great deal of undeveloped land, said Skelton.

"It's time to slow down and manage what we have," Skelton said.

Summerlin, a four-year member of the Hoover Planning and Zoning Commission, said he would like the city to consider adopting a comprehensive plan for growth. A comprehensive plan was drafted by a committee but never adopted by the city council.

"We looked at that thing extensively, and to my knowledge it was just stuck on a shelf," Summerlin said. "We need to dust it off and take a look at it," he said.

With the right blend of commercial and residential development, Summerlin said, Hoover could one day become a world class city, like his native Raleigh, N.C. CEO and city retreat

Both candidates said they envision a better working relationship between the next city council and whichever candidate wins the mayoral runoff.

"If we have a real CEO, if you will, initiating things, it will make it easier for the council to work with the mayor," said Skelton.

Summerlin suggested the new mayor and city council take a one or two day "corporate retreat" to work on coming to a consensus on issues.

"You may not agree with what's being proposed, but you can at least support it," Summerlin said. Money management

Both candidates are calling for the city to operate with greater fiscal responsibility.

Summerlin said his business operates on an annual budget larger than that of the city.

"If you operate it (city government) like a business, which is what you should be doing, you don't spend more than you take in," Summerlin said.

"I've never been of the opinion a surplus is a bad thing," he said.

Summerlin said he believes the city relies too much on sales tax and he would explore ways of finding other sources of city revenue.

Skelton said the challenge for the city is to prioritize spending.

Skelton said the city needs to find ways to finance a new senior center, athletic fields, and ease drainage problems that often cause flooding in some Hoover communities.

"We have to prioritize these things and we have to get back to basics," Skelton said. He is strongly opposed to the city levying new taxes or fees, he said. Endorsements, dollars

Skelton, a former Hoover city councilman who was appointed mayor in 1999 to complete the term of Frank Skinner, who resigned, received 5,595 votes in the general election. Summerlin gained 4,884 votes.

Skelton loaned his own campaign $10,000 and raised another $4,795, including donations from two groups of developers known as Hamptons at Ross Bridge and the Haven at Greystone.

Summerlin raised $4,893, which included a $700 self-loan and several individual contributions of $500 and less.

Summerlin was endorsed by the Concerned Citizens for the Future of Hoover and Skelton was endorsed by the Alabama Builders Political Action Committee.  

IP Logged
HSCIN
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 05/02/08 at 10:52pm

HOOVER VOTE SAYS RESIDENTS WANT CIVILITY  

September 1, 2004  
   Peggy Sanford  
All the candidates in the Sept. 14 runoffs for Hoover mayor and City Council are talking of the need for civility and collaboration in government.  

The desire for that seems to be one of the stronger messages from last week's general election in the city.

It's rare that political incumbents are given their walking papers as decidedly as Hoover voters handed Mayor Barbara McCollum hers.

Incumbency, that existing claim on office and on-the-job experience, usually gives them a strong edge in the running.

Hoover's mayor, however, claimed barely more than 15 percent of the vote in her bid for re-election. Why is that?

Some point to the swell in political momentum from Hoover's eastern communities, a group that heretofore hasn't put a candidate into city office and now has four candidates in council runoffs.

Others wonder at the political influence of the citizens' group that four years ago endorsed McCollum over incumbent Mayor Brian Skelton, but this time around backed challenger Tony Petelos over McCollum.

The Concerned Citizens for the Future of Hoover in 2000 also endorsed all the winning council candidates, candidates that then-challenger McCollum also supported. Those four candidates - Bob Austin, Kyle Forstman, Donna Mazur and Jody Patterson - all won their 2000 races in runoff elections.

In the 2004 runoffs, Patterson and Petelos are vying for mayor. Council candidates in runoffs are Mari Morrison and Mary Sue Ludwig for Place 3, Gary Ivey and Jim Henry for Place 4, Brian Skelton and Jim Summerlin for Place 6 and Daniel Whitman and Mike Natter for Place 7.

Other than Petelos, the Concerned Citizens group endorsed Morrison, Henry, Summerlin and Whitman in the general election.

That may speak to the Concerned Citizens' continuing political acumen, but three of the four runoff challengers carry the endorsement of another group. The Alabama Builders Political Action Committee has backed Natter, Ivey and Skelton. The builders' PAC, however, also endorsed McCollum, so it can't claim a sweep, even if its three council candidates win.

Consistent in the city's general election is that McCollum and every candidate she backed was voted out of office or didn't make a runoff.

The voters clearly are saying they don't like the way the mayor and the City Council have handled business the past four years.

Residents and voters want their views heard and considered by elected officials. They want debate on issues, not decrees from the mayor, and they want representatives who will try to work together for the betterment of the city, despite how much they may dislike one another personally.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print