Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
THE Hoover Forum
04/19/24 at 8:58am
News: Welcome to THE Hoover Forum - Check here for the forum rules.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Rezoning History (Read 58675 times)
HSCIN
Ex Member

Rezoning History
02/05/08 at 10:09am

Here are a few documents from the last time around.  Please take a moment to read the HSCIN's writeup at http://www.hscin.org/Zoningupdate.htm#Recent_Rezoning_Information_-_A_History

The process began in Fall of 2004 with telephone surveys of 300 households of persons with children in Hoover schools.  A series of Focus Groups was conducted to further develop the most important Values for this community when considering a zoning plan.  Here are the results  http://www.hscin.org/CommunityPlanningTeamValues.pdf

"HOOVER COMMUNITY VALUES RELATED TO ATTENDANCE ZONING
As Expressed in Community Focus Groups
November 22, 2004
HOOVER CITY SCHOOLS  
A. NEIGHBORHOOD SCHOOL VALUES
1. Schools would have a neighborhood identity
2. It would be easy for parents to be involved in their child’s school
B. GEOGRAPHIC VALUES
1. Children’s schools would be close to their homes
2. Children/Parents would spend as little time as possible traveling between home and school
3. Parents and teenage drivers would avoid dangerous traffic on the roadways between home and school
C. ACADEMIC VALUES
1. Ensure similar educational quality and high test scores in all schools
2. Ensure similar student teacher ratios in all schools
3. Ensure all schools offer the same variety of quality classes
D. EXTRACURRICULAR PROGRAM VALUES
1. Ensure that all schools have many extracurricular programs of similar quality
2. Ensure schools are large enough to field strong sports teams
E. SOCIAL VALUES
1. Enable children to go to school with neighbors, those seen in other settings like church and sports activities
2. Ensure groups of students and friends are together throughout K – 12
3. Preserve school traditions such as colors, team names
4. Children stay together when making transition from ES to MS and MS to HS
F. DIVERSITY VALUES
1. Ensure there is economic diversity in all schools
2. Ensure there is racial diversity in all schools
3. All schools contain a balance of students who live in apartments and students who live in single-family houses
G. FACILITIES VALUES
1. Ensure equitable, modern school facilities for every school
H. PLANNING PROCESS VALUES
1. Ensure there is planning for Hoover’s future growth
2. Disrupt as few students as possible with rezoning changes
3. Ensure future zoning changes occur at natural breaks such as before Middle School or High School.
4. Make zoning changes as infrequently as possible
I. FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY VALUES
1. Be fiscally responsible; spend money wisely
2. Ensure continued strong financial support by the community"

After the Community Planning Team hashed out the details, here's the Adopted Zoning Plan, http://www.hscin.org/AdoptedZoningPlan.pdf

"Approved Zoning Plan
Summary: This plan does not change the current middle school or high school track for any elementary school area. It relocates Berry Middle School to the new middle school over a period of one full academic year. The plan includes a new school to be built that will be designed as a middle school but will be used initially as a 9th grade facility for Hoover High School.
• During the 2005-06 school year, the current Berry facility will be used for 7th and 8th grades for the current four feeder schools. In other words, Berry’s current 6th and 7th graders would remain at that school for the upcoming school year as 7th and 8th graders. The multi-handicapped units would remain at the current Berry campus for 2005-06.
• During the 2005-06 school year, 6th graders from Berry’s four feeder schools (Greystone, Riverchase, Rocky Ridge, and Shades Mountain) will be housed at the middle school on Spain Park campus.
• During the 2005-06 school year, the new school will be expanded to accommodate 1200 students. The multi-handicapped area will be prepared for those students.
• At the beginning of the 2006-07 school year, students in grades 6-8 from all four feeder schools will be housed at Berry Middle School (new campus).
• Under this plan, both schools would be named Berry Middle School. We will refer to them as Berry – 6th Grade and Berry – 7th and 8th Grades. While this might be somewhat confusing, it will last only one year.
• Dr. Wheaton will remain principal of Berry Middle School which will be located on two campuses for one year. One of the two assistant principals will be the “on-site” administrator at Berry – 6th Grade until the school is “reunited” in August 2006.
• This plan assigns students from the Ross Bridge development to attend Deer Valley Elementary, Simmons Middle School, and Hoover High School.
• Construction will begin as soon as possible on a facility on or near the Hoover High School campus. This facility will be used initially to house HHS 9th graders. At the point in the future when a 3rd high school is opened, it will be converted to a middle school. The plan anticipates that this facility will be opened for 9th graders at the beginning of the 2006-07 school year. The projection is that this facility should be designed for approximately 1200 students.
Summary:
While this is certainly not the “perfect solution,” it is responsive to the “voice of the community” in terms of the desire for students to remain on their current track in regard to middle school and high school attendance zones. It is our belief that the benefits outweigh the costs in fulfilling the wishes of a majority of the parents of our school district.  

Approved February 28, 2005"

It is very important that we understand how we got here.  Last night, many comments were made regarding the last Rezoning Process.  Many of those were inaccurate statements.  Old Berry was not closed to fulfill the wishes of the people on the other side of town.  In fact, the Greystone and Rocky Ridge folks didn't have any representatives on the Community Planning Team and were quite upset that they didn't have a "voice" in the group.  

It is very important to understand why the new Berry campus was built.  That was a decision made by Dr. Jack Farr, then Superintendent.  The folks at old Berry Middle School were concerned that the facility had too many students.  The drive was not pleasant, but they knew what they signed up for when they bought their homes.  The people in Greystone and the surrounding areas got organized and made a valid argument that it was time to build that then-fourth middle school (in addition to old Berry, Bumpus and Simmons).  I remember being at the HPTC meeting where Dr. Farr said that he wasn't sure who was going to the new Spain Park Middle School (the then-name) but would be letting us know very soon.  That was in, like, April of 2004, I believe.  The building was already in the process of being built.  Everyone just waited to hear the plan.  No community input was asked for.

When the plan was released, it included moving Green Valley to Berry, along with the Shades Mountain and Riverchase populations.  Green Valley didn't want to move high school tracks.  Riverchase wanted to go to the new school (their drive to old Berry was pretty awful).  Shades Mountain was the only school that really wanted to continue attending old Berry.  The community voice was strong.  It was listened to.  And here we are.

IP Logged
HSCIN
Ex Member

Re: Rezoning History
Reply #1 - 02/05/08 at 10:21am

A couple of things I left out.  Because Riverchase wanted to go to the new middle school, that left only Shades Mountain and Green Valley to go to Berry.  That left too small of a middle school population to "field strong sports teams" and band, etc.  Shifting Bluff Park and Green Valley to Berry was discussed, but then that meant that the Trace Crossings community would have to shift north to Simmons....taking them out of their "neighborhood school".  

It was discussed that old Berry could stay open and have Green Valley track back into Hoover while Shades Mountain went on to Spain Park.  That didn't meet the community-identified value of keeping kids together as they track from school to school.

It was discussed to have Shades Mountain move back into Simmons and Hoover High.  But the Shades Mountain parents that were vocal at the time wouldn't stand for that.  They absolutely did NOT want to go to Hoover High.   They wanted to keep Berry open.  Shades Mountain contributes 150 students to a middle school.  That simply was not enough students to warrant keeping Berry open.  

It was discussed to have Shades Mountain and Rocky Ridge continue to go to Berry.  But, the demographics didn't work because it was basically segregating the lower-income students into Berry and the higher-income students into the new middle school.  Adding Green Valley to that mix wouldn't have changed the demographics, either.

Keeping Riverchase zoned to old Berry meant that they were taken out of their "neighborhood school"....which happened to them once already when they were the half of Trace Crossings that got moved to Berry in the first place. ....but the new middle school was deemed closer and more neighborly than old Berry.

The only people that Berry was a "neighbor" to that were currently zoned there were the Shades Mountain folks.  And they just didn't contribute enough students to warrant keeping Berry open.  Had Shades Mountain been as big as say, Deer Valley, that contributes 400 students to middle school, it might be different.  But they weren't.

So please don't be confused as to why old Berry was closed.  It was not, as stated last night, because "the other side of town didn't want to drive to it".  It was not, as stated last night, because it was "old".  It was closed because the zoning structure that would require it to stay open did not fit with the Community Values that had come forth in the Focus Groups.  That's all.

I wonder if those same Community Values hold true today.  Or are we willing to throw each other under the bus as long as "our children" aren't affected.

IP Logged
begood
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #2 - 02/05/08 at 2:27pm

Quote from HSCIN on 02/05/08 at 10:21am:
A couple of things I left out.  Because Riverchase wanted to go to the new middle school, that left only Shades Mountain and Green Valley to go to Berry.  That left too small of a middle school population to "field strong sports teams" and band, etc.  Shifting Bluff Park and Green Valley to Berry was discussed, but then that meant that the Trace Crossings community would have to shift north to Simmons....taking them out of their "neighborhood school".  

It was discussed that old Berry could stay open and have Green Valley track back into Hoover while Shades Mountain went on to Spain Park.  That didn't meet the community-identified value of keeping kids together as they track from school to school.

It was discussed to have Shades Mountain move back into Simmons and Hoover High.  But the Shades Mountain parents that were vocal at the time wouldn't stand for that.  They absolutely did NOT want to go to Hoover High.   They wanted to keep Berry open.  Shades Mountain contributes 150 students to a middle school.  That simply was not enough students to warrant keeping Berry open.  

It was discussed to have Shades Mountain and Rocky Ridge continue to go to Berry.  But, the demographics didn't work because it was basically segregating the lower-income students into Berry and the higher-income students into the new middle school.  Adding Green Valley to that mix wouldn't have changed the demographics, either.

Keeping Riverchase zoned to old Berry meant that they were taken out of their "neighborhood school"....which happened to them once already when they were the half of Trace Crossings that got moved to Berry in the first place. ....but the new middle school was deemed closer and more neighborly than old Berry.

The only people that Berry was a "neighbor" to that were currently zoned there were the Shades Mountain folks.  And they just didn't contribute enough students to warrant keeping Berry open.  Had Shades Mountain been as big as say, Deer Valley, that contributes 400 students to middle school, it might be different.  But they weren't.

So please don't be confused as to why old Berry was closed.  It was not, as stated last night, because "the other side of town didn't want to drive to it".  It was not, as stated last night, because it was "old".  It was closed because the zoning structure that would require it to stay open did not fit with the Community Values that had come forth in the Focus Groups.  That's all.

I wonder if those same Community Values hold true today.  Or are we willing to throw each other under the bus as long as "our children" aren't affected.

I have a small but important correction to this history.   It was not Riverchase that opposed going to the old Berry.  That didn't happen until GV threw a tantrum and Dr. Farr assured them they didn't have to get rid of their Buc apparel.  After GV was pulled out Gary M. was using inflated numbers to try and justify leaving Riverchase and the others at the school.  Once the valid numbers were used it became apparent that there was too few being left there and AT THAT POINT Riverchase lobbied to be zoned to the new school.  Riverchase was not opposed (at least not everyone from Riverchase) was opposed to attending old Berry with GV.  But once they pulled out Riverchase wasn't going to make the drive (past all of the GV houses that didn't want to go there) and be a 1400 capacity school with 450 kids in it.  For what it's worth.  

View Profile   IP Logged
begood
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #3 - 02/05/08 at 2:33pm

As interest...there is someone on the "other forum" that i think is saying that "most of old Hoover" would rather attend old Berry as their high school!  Post 5815.2.2.2  The problem may be solved if that is true!!

View Profile   IP Logged
aka_deplume
Hoover Forum All-Star Member

"Smug"

Reply #4 - 02/05/08 at 3:01pm

Quote from HSCIN on 02/05/08 at 10:21am:

So if this is true (and I'm not doubting you) then one of two things happened last night.  Either Mr. McBay stood in front of 250 people and lied through his teeth when he said that there was nothing wrong with the facility, that it was because of people not wanting to drive all the way there that the school was closed, or I completely bought into his "sidestep", even though I was within 25 feet of him when he made the statement.

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles."
Sun Tsu, The Art of War

View Profile   IP Logged
begood
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #5 - 02/05/08 at 3:37pm

It will be interesting to see what he says at the Berry meeting...I bet it won't be that!  I think the new Berry was built partly because of that reason (so maybe that's what he meant).  But I think when they built the new Berry they didn't intend on shutting down old Berry.  He seems to have lost that in the discussion last night and that's too bad because a room full of people went home thinking that.  The old Berry was supposed to stay open with GV moving there - remember?  I guess he didn't want to point that out last night to that audience.  They didn't want to be there and that's why it had to close when you get down to it.  I don't guess any of that matters now.

View Profile   IP Logged
HSCIN
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/05/08 at 4:28pm

Well, let's be very careful here who we cast dispersion on, please.  The folks from Green Valley were being asked to leave the middle school that some of us (myself included) were so close to that we couldn't even get bus service (the 2-mile rule) to go to a middle school farther away AND then change high school tracks.  That's what was on the line for Green Valley.  No one else was being asked to sacrifice both the distance to their middle school (Simmons was remaining open as a middle school) AND change their high school tracks.  That is very different than what anyone is being asked to do under either scenario presented last night at Simmons.  

If Simmons was being closed and Green Valley was given a choice to go to Berry or Bumpus, I'm going to guess they would have chosen Berry (old Berry).

And let's not forget, too, that once Green Valley's proximity to Simmons was carefully considered, it was Bluff Park who was asked to make the move to Berry.  They weren't too happy about that prospect either.  The Bluff Park folks rose up in rebellion and made sure they didn't get sent to Spain Park, either, but for some reason that fact is conveniently forgotten.

I'm going out on a limb here, deplume, but I would have to say that what Mr. McBay said last night bordered on professional irresponsibility.  What he failed to acknowledge was that he was in charge of facilities in 2004 just like he's in charge of them now.  He failed to acknowledge that following the process that the Board hired McCauley and Associates to conduct lead them to the conclusion that closing old Berry was the only way to satisfy the Values created through the phone surveys and focus groups.

I want to APPLAUD the Green Valley folks for their impressive involvement last time.  Do you know what they really did for our community, friends?  Those Green Valley people demanded a Seat at the Table.  And they got it.  Up until that point, when a new school was built, Gary McBay and the others at the Central Office simply drew up a zoning plan and shoved it down the community's throats.  Period.

The Green Valley people said "that's no way to run a school system" and demanded a Seat at the Table for the community.  Were it not for the heat that they applied, we wouldn't have had that meeting last night at Simmons, nor would we be having the two upcoming meetings.  The Central Office would just shove a plan down our throats and we'd swallow and do what we were told.

I believe that Mr. McBay has a chip on his shoulder because Green Valley was able to give input (and rightfully so!) into a decision and McBay didn't get his way.  He seethes every time it's brought up.  I can't tell you how many times it has come up in the Capital Planning Committee meetings.  And every time he tries to make it out like it was the Green Valley people that threw the monkey wrench into his parade.  Last night he found a friendly audience and voiced his personal opinion to the entire community, which was entirely inappropriate.  Just my opinion.

So thank you, my Green Valley friends, for reserving our Community a Seat at the Table.  Without you, our Bluff Park neighbors would probably be attending Spain Park High School right now.  Bluff Park folks, you probably owe the Green Valley folks a pat on the back, too.

Would anyone prefer that the community not have a Seat at the Table?  

IP Logged
slab
Hoover Forum JV

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #7 - 02/05/08 at 10:00pm

Quote from HSCIN on 02/05/08 at 4:28pm:

So thank you, my Green Valley friends, for reserving our Community a Seat at the Table.  Without you, our Bluff Park neighbors would probably be attending Spain Park High School right now.  Bluff Park folks, you probably owe the Green Valley folks a pat on the back, too.

A question and a little Devil's Advocate here - if Bluff Park had been rezoned to SP at this time would we still be having this current rezoning discussion? SP would be closer or at capacity and HHS would be several hundred students less, maybe even allowing enough room for the Freshmen to attend.  

View Profile   IP Logged
slab
Hoover Forum JV

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #8 - 02/05/08 at 10:03pm

I'm going out on a limb here, deplume, but I would have to say that what Mr. McBay said last night bordered on professional irresponsibility.  What he failed to acknowledge was that he was in charge of facilities in 2004 just like he's in charge of them now.  He failed to acknowledge that following the process that the Board hired McCauley and Associates to conduct lead them to the conclusion that closing old Berry was the only way to satisfy the Values created through the phone surveys and focus groups.

I believe that Mr. McBay has a chip on his shoulder because Green Valley was able to give input (and rightfully so!) into a decision and McBay didn't get his way.  He seethes every time it's brought up.  I can't tell you how many times it has come up in the Capital Planning Committee meetings.  And every time he tries to make it out like it was the Green Valley people that threw the monkey wrench into his parade.  Last night he found a friendly audience and voiced his personal opinion to the entire community, which was entirely inappropriate.  Just my opinion.

Why is Mr McBay still employed?  Sure seems that he likes to build and supervise the construction of new school buildings......makes you wonder!

View Profile   IP Logged
my2cents

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #9 - 02/05/08 at 10:27pm

Well, let's be very careful here who we cast dispersion on, please.  The folks from Green Valley were being asked to leave the middle school that some of us (myself included) were so close to that we couldn't even get bus service (the 2-mile rule) to go to a middle school farther away AND then change high school tracks.  That's what was on the line for Green Valley.  No one else was being asked to sacrifice both the distance to their middle school (Simmons was remaining open as a middle school) AND change their high school tracks.  That is very different than what anyone is being asked to do under either scenario presented last night at Simmons.  

If Simmons was being closed and Green Valley was given a choice to go to Berry or Bumpus, I'm going to guess they would have chosen Berry (old Berry).

And let's not forget, too, that once Green Valley's proximity to Simmons was carefully considered, it was Bluff Park who was asked to make the move to Berry.  They weren't too happy about that prospect either.  The Bluff Park folks rose up in rebellion and made sure they didn't get sent to Spain Park, either, but for some reason that fact is conveniently forgotten.

I want to APPLAUD the Green Valley folks for their impressive involvement last time.  Do you know what they really did for our community, friends?  Those Green Valley people demanded a Seat at the Table.  And they got it.  Up until that point, when a new school was built, Gary McBay and the others at the Central Office simply drew up a zoning plan and shoved it down the community's throats.  Period.

The Green Valley people said "that's no way to run a school system" and demanded a Seat at the Table for the community.  Were it not for the heat that they applied, we wouldn't have had that meeting last night at Simmons, nor would we be having the two upcoming meetings.  The Central Office would just shove a plan down our throats and we'd swallow and do what we were told.

I have a lot of friends that worked very hard in Bluff Park on the rezoning, why do they owe Green Valley?  

View Profile   IP Logged
hoover1990

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #10 - 02/06/08 at 9:41am

Well, let's be very careful here who we cast dispersion on, please. The folks from Green Valley were being asked to leave the middle school that some of us (myself included) were so close to that we couldn't even get bus service (the 2-mile rule) to go to a middle school farther away AND then change high school tracks. That's what was on the line for Green Valley. No one else was being asked to sacrifice both the distance to their middle school (Simmons was remaining open as a middle school) AND change their high school tracks. That is very different than what anyone is being asked to do under either scenario presented last night at Simmons.

And let's not forget, too, that once Green Valley's proximity to Simmons was carefully considered, it was Bluff Park who was asked to make the move to Berry. They weren't too happy about that prospect either. The Bluff Park folks rose up in rebellion and made sure they didn't get sent to Spain Park, either, but for some reason that fact is conveniently forgotten.

I'm going out on a limb here, deplume, but I would have to say that what Mr. McBay said last night bordered on professional irresponsibility. What he failed to acknowledge was that he was in charge of facilities in 2004 just like he's in charge of them now. He failed to acknowledge that following the process that the Board hired McCauley and Associates to conduct lead them to the conclusion that closing old Berry was the only way to satisfy the Values created through the phone surveys and focus groups.

I want to APPLAUD the Green Valley folks for their impressive involvement last time. Do you know what they really did for our community, friends? Those Green Valley people demanded a Seat at the Table. And they got it. Up until that point, when a new school was built, Gary McBay and the others at the Central Office simply drew up a zoning plan and shoved it down the community's throats. Period.

The Green Valley people said "that's no way to run a school system" and demanded a Seat at the Table for the community. Were it not for the heat that they applied, we wouldn't have had that meeting last night at Simmons, nor would we be having the two upcoming meetings. The Central Office would just shove a plan down our throats and we'd swallow and do what we were told.

I believe that Mr. McBay has a chip on his shoulder because Green Valley was able to give input (and rightfully so!) into a decision and McBay didn't get his way. He seethes every time it's brought up. I can't tell you how many times it has come up in the Capital Planning Committee meetings. And every time he tries to make it out like it was the Green Valley people that threw the monkey wrench into his parade. Last night he found a friendly audience and voiced his personal opinion to the entire community, which was entirely inappropriate. Just my opinion.

So thank you, my Green Valley friends, for reserving our Community a Seat at the Table. Without you, our Bluff Park neighbors would probably be attending Spain Park High School right now. Bluff Park folks, you probably owe the Green Valley folks a pat on the back, too.

Okay, here I come with my cynical self!  A Seat at the Table????  What table?

The "Table" is a myth.  It implies that there is a fair and open decision-making process where everyone has an equal opportunity to state his case and be heard.  Even the Community Planning Team, although a great and idealistic mechanism for decision-making, ultimately failed because those who didn't make it in through the luck of the draw felt that they got the shaft from those who did make it in.  And maybe they were correct, but what they then did was work relentlessly to discredit the make-up and work of the group, until the school system was so burned by the whole thing that they would never try it again.

Politicians don't like the "table" because it means that the people have a direct voice and everything has to happen openly.  The only part of the "table" they like is what goes on under it.  It is hard to do all that wheeling and dealing and back-scratching when you have to do it in front of everyone.

The Green Valley/Simmons community was successful last time in getting what they wanted.  They had a good argument, and they were willing to concede a little (the Freshman Campus).  They received support from most of the rest of the city, because the good effects of what they wanted were more widespread and appeared sooner than the bad effects.  It also helped them that the Community Planning Team gave the illusion that it was not just one neighborhood getting what they wanted at the expense of others.

Things have changed now.   The good effects of the last zoning decision have been diluted as the bad effects have come into focus.  The Freshman Center is a reality for people now, and some don't like it at all.  The overcrowding at Bumpus and Deer Valley can't be ignored much longer.  The old Berry School didn't sell and is still sitting there, costing us money.  The Shades Mountain community has become vocal since they were the losers last time around.

There is not even the illusion of a "table" this time.  A "table" is when everyone comes together and works out a solution.  These community "input" meetings are just gripe sessions.  The affected communities have broken up into their own camps and are trying to figure out how to "win" and throw each other under the bus.

I do have to give the Simmons area communities kudos for understanding "How it Really Works".  Since the last rezoning crisis, people from the area are now on the school board, in the Central Office, and on the key capital planning committee.  Think those things don't make a difference?  Watch what happens next.

The Bumpus area is still trying to figure out what the heck happened to them in the apartment rezoning three years ago.  They haven't even realized how they are about to get dumped on next.

View Profile   IP Logged
begood
Hoover Forum Sophomore

THE Hoover Forum

Reply #11 - 02/06/08 at 12:49pm

i agree that GV spoke up for what they wanted and "got a seat at the table".  But is that what is best for the whole community?  Once you let one group decide what is best for them then you have to listen to other areas also and give them a "seat at the table".  I agree with most of what HCSIN but not this time.  That last comment really exposes a self-serving aspect to your viewpoint and (unusally) not for the good of all people.

View Profile   IP Logged
HSCIN
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 02/06/08 at 4:19pm

Quote from begood on 02/06/08 at 12:49pm:
i agree that GV spoke up for what they wanted and "got a seat at the table".  But is that what is best for the whole community?  Once you let one group decide what is best for them then you have to listen to other areas also and give them a "seat at the table".  I agree with most of what HCSIN but not this time.  That last comment really exposes a self-serving aspect to your viewpoint and (unusally) not for the good of all people.  

Let me clarify.....it wasn't just the Green Valley folks that Green Valley got a seat at the table for.  It was the ENTIRE COMMUNITY that got a say.  Green Valley folks worked to get the Community Planning Process (outlined at this link:  http://www.hscin.org/RezoningProcessPresentation.pdf ) in place for the ENTIRE COMMUNITY to participate in. The ENTIRE COMMUNITY was given the opportunity to participate in focus groups to develop the values that the telephone surveys (again....the ENTIRE COMMUNITY had an opportunity to participate, not just Green Valley folks) then rated for importance and put on paper to have the Community Planning Team (again...the ENTIRE COMMUNITY had an opportunity to participate on the Community Planning Team) judge the different scenarios by to see how well they fit with the ENTIRE COMMUNITY'S value judgements about education.

So yes, that IS what's best for the ENTIRE COMMUNITY.  One group didn't decide.  You're skipping steps here, begood.  You're reading the parts you want to read.

Thanks for the slap in the face.  Self-serving.  'Preciate it.

IP Logged
HSCIN
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 02/06/08 at 4:34pm

Birmingham News (AL)
Team begins developing ideas for redrawing zones  

December 22, 2004  
Section: COMMUNITY NEWS  
Edition: HOOVER  
Page: 3-H  
   JON ANDERSON News staff writer  
A 20-person community planning team has developed 25 ideas for redrawing school attendance zones for Hoover City Schools.  

The team of parents, which held its first two meetings last week, hasn't yet come up with specific strategies or recommendations. Instead, it began by developing 25 broad concepts to consider when rezoning.

The concepts include ideas such as optimizing transportation costs, accommodating as many students as possible in existing schools, building new schools in areas where growth is occurring and allowing students to stay in a particular school once they start there.

The community planning team will reconvene Jan. 4 to determine which of its concepts best match the community values identified by focus groups and prioritized by a survey of Hoover parents.

Then, in at least two more meetings, the team will come up with more specific strategies for rezoning. Hoover schools Superintendent Connie Williams said she will consider the planning team's work when making a recommendation to the Hoover Board of Education.

The school board must vote on any school zone changes, and its decision is subject to review by the U.S. Department of Justice.

Williams told the planning team she has heard the speculation that a rezoning decision already has been made and that the formation of a community planning team is a sham.

''That is simply not true,'' Williams said. ''I simply cannot fathom asking the 20 of you to put in this kind of time and effort for something that's just a sham . . . Let me assure you that I value your input.''

Williams said she truly hasn't made up her mind about the best action plan. She expects to recommend the top choice of the community planning team but reserves the right to disagree, she said.

Earl Cooper, a team member with children at Bumpus Middle School and Hoover High, said he appreciates the opportunity to be involved in decision-making. ''The empowerment to make this decision is huge,'' Cooper said.

School board member Joe Dean observed the planning team's first meeting and made a few comments when the idea of selling Berry Middle School was discussed. Dean said school officials didn't think selling Berry was wise because the amount of money they would get wouldn't make up for the money invested in renovations at Berry in recent years.

At the second meeting, several team members said they didn't want Dean's comments to keep the planning team from considering selling Berry.

''We've got a clean slate as far as I'm concerned,'' said Laura Lowe, a parent at Simmons Middle School. ''This is a clean,  
fresh start.''

Sammy Harris, a parent at Green Valley Elementary, said he has a hard time believing that being fiscally responsible is the most important concern parents have about rezoning. While that's important, it's not the most important, he said.

A survey of 309 Hoover parents indicated differently. The parents were asked to rate 24 community values related to rezoning on a scale of one to seven, with seven being the most important.

The value of being fiscally responsible and spending money wisely scored highest, at 6.816. About 90 percent of survey respondents gave the fiscal responsibility value a score of seven.

Lynn Thomas, a parent at Bumpus Middle School and Hoover High, said that being fiscally responsible doesn't necessarily mean choosing the cheapest zoning solution.

The survey of Hoover parents also indicated that:

-- Sixty-four percent of parents would prefer for their child to attend a larger school with more programs and activities than a smaller school close to their home, if they had to choose between the two options.

-- Seventy-nine percent chose to live in Hoover because of the quality of schools.

-- Fifty-one percent ''definitely'' chose the location of their home specifically so their child could attend a particular school with the Hoover system.

-- Fifty-four percent believe the quality of Hoover schools is excellent; 38 percent rated them very good, while 7 percent said good and 1 percent said fair.

-- Sixty-five percent said the issue of rezoning is ''very important'' to their family, while 19 percent said it is ''somewhat important,'' 10 percent said ''not very important'' and 7 percent said ''not at all important.''

Zoning concepts

A community planning team made up of Hoover parents developed this list of ideas to be considered as school officials redraw school attendance zones. The planning team will further evaluate each concept to see how well it meets community values identified by focus groups and a survey of parents. More specific zoning strategies will be developed in January.

Optimize transportation costs.

Optimize use of existing facilities.

Build new facilities where growth is occurring.

If possible, allow students to remain at particular schools once they have started there.

Implement zoning changes at transitions from elementary to middle school or middle to high school.

Zoning plan must fit into school system's budget, considering costs such as construction and operations.

Meet current Hoover standards for student-teacher ratios.

Open new schools with adequate number of students to provide as many programs (academic and extracurricular) as possible and make them cost-effective to operate.

Maximize construction dollars for instructional benefit.

Design facilities so they can be expanded to accommodate growth.

Build schools close to communities, centrally located (especially at elementary level).

Consider the impact of traffic when locating schools.

Create a zoning plan with a long-range vision and update it at regular intervals.

Develop a model school (size, curriculum, etc.) to guide future facility decisions.

Offer the same variety of classes at all schools.

Do zoning changes in a manner that encourages continued financial support from the community.

Provide academic/instructional support

services at every school to meet the needs of all students.

Use a cost/benefit approach to decisions about renovation and replacement of existing facilities.

Establish a minimum radius from a school within which students will be assured of being zoned to that school.

Consider a maximum travel time from home to school (relative to grade level).

Locate schools where they can be reached via secondary roads.

Avoid splitting a school to multiple uppergrade schools (students from one elementary being split between two middle schools).

Have similar racial diversity at all schools.

Have similar economic diversity at all schools.

When possible, maintain a balance of students from single-family homes and multifamily homes at each school.

Source: Hoover City Schools' Community Planning Team  

« Last Edit: 02/06/08 at 7:27pm by HSCIN »  
  IP Logged
HSCIN
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 02/06/08 at 4:37pm

Birmingham News (AL)
Survey: Hoover parents want fiscally responsible schools  

December 14, 2004  
Section: COMMUNITY  
Page: 3-B  
Hoover parents say the most important thing for school officials to consider when redrawing middle and high school zone lines is their charge to be fiscally responsible.  

That's according to a telephone survey of 309 parents who have children in Hoover City Schools. The survey results were presented to the Hoover Board of Education Monday night.

The school system commissioned the survey as part of its effort to involve the community in redrawing school zones, which must be done in time for the scheduled opening of Spain Park Middle School in August.

Parents who participated in the survey were asked to rank 24 community values related to rezoning on a scale of 1 to 7, with seven being the most important. All the values were determined by focus groups of parents prior to the telephone survey.

The value of being fiscally responsible and spending money wisely scored highest, at 6.816. Other values in the top five were: making it easy for parents to be involved in their child's school (6.744), making zoning changes as infrequently as possible (6.709), ensuring that all schools offer the same variety of quality classes (6.670) and ensuring continued strong financial support by the community (6.670).

About 90 percent of survey respondents gave the fiscal responsibility value a score of 7, said Tim Aho, a planning consultant hired by the school board to assist with the process.

''That's a little bit of a surprise, because the focus groups didn't really harp on that,'' Aho said.

Hoover schools Superintendent Connie Williams said she was surprised that parents ranked the value of keeping groups of students and friends together from kindergarten through 12th grade relatively low. It was the fifth lowest of the 24 community values, with a score of 5.683.

Other values in the bottom five were: ensuring economic diversity in all schools (5.675), ensuring that all schools are large enough to field strong sports teams (5.220), giving all schools a balance between students from apartments and students from single-family homes (5.172) and preserving school traditions, such as colors and team names (5.071).

A 20-person community planning team will start meeting tonight to develop rezoning strategies that meet the most important community values. The team is supposed to finish its work in time for Williams to make a recommendation to the school board by late January or early February.  

IP Logged
HSCIN
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 02/06/08 at 4:38pm

Birmingham News (AL)
Hoover schools draw 20 names for planning team on rezoning Hoover schools pick team for rezoning effort  

December 2, 2004  
Hoover school officials on Wednesday drew the names of 20 parents who will serve on a community planning team that will develop ideas for redrawing school attendance zones.  

The names were drawn from among 74 parents nominated by the school board, mayor and City Council, Hoover Chamber of Commerce, parent groups and the community.

The team is charged with developing scenarios for drawing new school zones for Hoover's middle and high schools - a hot topic in Hoover this year.

Parents on the team have children at six of the nine elementary schools in Hoover, all three middle schools and both high schools. The only schools without parents on the team are Greystone, Rocky Ridge and Trace Crossings elementaries.

Each school's parent group was able to nominate someone, but not all of them were drawn from the pool of 74 nominees.

Parents from all Hoover schools are being included in a telephone survey that will determine the importance of various community values related to rezoning.

Three focus groups of Hoover parents helped compile a list of 24 values associated with rezoning that are important to parents, such as having schools close to home and keeping academic quality high and studentteacher ratios low.

The telephone survey will prioritize those values, and the planning team will evaluate its ideas based on those priorities.

Thirty-five parents were nominated by the community at large. The school board nominated 10 parents, and the mayor and City Council together nominated 10. Parent groups nominated 15 people, and the Hoover Chamber of Commerce nominated four.

The school board was guaranteed two slots on the team, as were the mayor and City Council. The chamber was guaranteed one slot, and parent groups were guaranteed three positions. Two slots were designated for the community at large.

The final 10 names were drawn from a combined pool of nominees.

Here are names of team members and the groups that nominated them:

City Council nominees: Earl Cooper, Rhonda Diliberto, Kathy Hutcheson, Laura Lowe and Jill Wootten.

School board nominees: Keith Clowers, Jennifer Fuller and Shiela Mulkey.

Chamber of Commerce nominee: Lynn Thomas.

Parent group nominees: Green Valley Elementary parent yet to be named, Cindy Wood (Gwin Elementary), Don Monk (Shades Mountain Elementary), Peggy Powell (South Shades Crest Elementary), Terri Lynn Hosmer (Bumpus Middle) and Lisa Weaver (Simmons Middle).  

Community nominees: Jack Brymer, Sandra Hassett, Afif Kanafani, Debbie Smith and Jill Stalnaker.  

« Last Edit: 02/07/08 at 11:53am by HSCIN »  
  IP Logged
HSCIN
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 02/06/08 at 4:40pm

Birmingham News (AL)
Hoover schools will pick team to study zones  

November 26, 2004  
Section: LOCAL NEWS  
Page: 1-C  
Hoover school officials will draw names Wednesday to form a community planning team that will develop and analyze options for redrawing school zone lines.  

Nominations to serve on the team will be accepted until noon Wednesday, and members of the team will be selected in a drawing set for 4 p.m. the same day, Superintendent Connie Williams said. The public is welcome to attend.

Various groups in the community, such as the school board, mayor and City Council, Hoover Chamber of Commerce and parent organizations, have opportunities to nominate people.

Nominations also are welcome from the community at large, but nominees must be willing to attend at least five meetings on specific dates in December and January, likely for two to three hours at a time in the evening.

Meeting dates already scheduled are Dec. 14 and 16 and Jan. 4, 11 and 18. People may nominate themselves or others.

Nomination forms can be obtained from the Farr Administration Building at 2810 Metropolitan Way in Hoover or can be downloaded from the school system's Web site at www.hoover.k12.al.us.

The community planning team will have 20 members. The community planning team's job is to develop school rezoning scenarios and test them to see how well they meet community values pertinent to rezoning as established by focus groups and prioritized by a telephone poll of Hoover parents.

Williams will use the planning team's work to develop her own rezoning recommendation for the school board to consider.

The school board has the final say, subject to approval by the U.S. Department of Justice.  

IP Logged
HSCIN
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 02/06/08 at 4:42pm

Birmingham News (AL)
Parents offer input on key issues for schools  

November 17, 2004  
Page: 4-H  
Hoover parents want their children to go to school close to home and they want academic quality high and student-teacher ratios low.  

Those were some of the most common desires stated to school officials last week by 20 Hoover parents selected randomly to participate in focus groups for the city school system.

School officials are using the groups, divided into elementary, middle and high school parents, as part of a process to determine and rank community values regarding schools as the system prepares to redraw middle and high school attendance zones.

Other community values mentioned during the focus group meetings included: maintaining equity among schools in extra-curricular activities, keeping students together from elementary through high school, and respecting parents' investments in their homes and particular school communities.

Parents also said they want school officials to keep in mind such things as test scores, racial and economic diversity, travel safety, parents' school loyalties, school size, aging school buildings, children's social ties, future city growth, parental choice and U.S. Department of Justice guidelines.

They also wanted advance notice of school zone changes so they have time to move if they desire.

New South Research, which conducted the focus group interviews, now will take the list of community values stated by the parents and survey 300 other Hoover school parents by telephone to prioritize those values. The marketing research firm will ask parents to rank the importance of each value, said Tim Aho, a consultant hired to assist in the rezoning process.

Once the values are prioritized, a 20-person community planning team will develop rezoning concepts and scenarios, and test each scenario to see how well it meets the most important community values.

Schools Superintendent Connie Williams will use the planning team's work to develop her own rezoning recommendation for the school board to consider. The school board will have the final say, subject to approval by the U.S. Department of Justice.

Williams observed the three focus groups last week and said she wasn't surprised by the parents' feelings. ''While there  
were a lot of differences, I think there was an amazing amount of consistency in terms of the things people said were important,'' she said.

One new thing she heard was a willingness by some parents to pay more property taxes if it meant their children could somehow stay in their current school zone.

Williams said Hoover schools are secure financially and should be able to afford the buildings they need. ''But we want to keep it that way,'' she said. ''I don't want us to go out and add indebtedness and cause that to change.''

There are still financial challenges, such as finding money to operate and staff schools once they're built, she said.

She said she's concerned about the financial condition for the City of Hoover, which gives 16 percent of its sales tax revenue to the school board for operating expenses. City officials are projecting a slowdown in sales tax growth and deficit spending by 2006.

Parents in the focus groups were passionate about the schools their children attend, often saying that was the most important reason they chose to live where they did. One Greystone Elementary mother said her family moved this past summer to keep her children from being rezoned to Rocky Ridge Elementary.

She was concerned about lower standardized test scores at Rocky Ridge, she said. ''You've got one chance to educate your kids,'' she said.

One woman who lives in an apartment said her family would stay in the apartment until middle and high school zone lines are redrawn. Her family doesn't want to make an investment in a home until lines are set, she said.

Rezoning opposition

Numerous parents said they believed that once people make an investment in a home and community, they shouldn't be rezoned at all.

''He has a plan for his family, and he doesn't want a school board to change it,'' one Green Valley Elementary and Simmons Middle School father commented about another father. ''Don't jerk that out from under him.''

The three focus groups included parents from all but four Hoover schools, although New South Research attempted to get representation from throughout the community. Forty-one people agreed to attend the meetings, but only 20 showed up.

Eighteen were white, and two were black. Twelve were female, and eight were male. Some had lived in Hoover more than 30 years, while others had been in the city for just a few months. A few lived in an apartment, but most were homeowners. Most  
had a college degree.

Two were former school board applicants, one of whom ran unsuccessfully for a council seat this summer.  

IP Logged
HSCIN
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 02/06/08 at 4:43pm

Birmingham News (AL)
School board seeks panel to help redraw its districts School board seeks panel to redraw districts  

November 10, 2004  
Page: 5-H  
Hoover's school board is inviting the public to nominate people for a planning team that will help school leaders redraw middle and high school attendance zones.  

Anyone nominated to serve on the community planning team must be a Hoover resident who is the parent of a child currently enrolled in Hoover City Schools.

Nominees also must be willing and able to meet at least five times on specific dates in December and January, likely for two to three hours at a time in the evening, Superintendent Connie Williams said.

Dates already scheduled for the meetings are Dec. 14 and 16 and Jan. 4, 11 and 18.

People may nominate themselves or others. Nomination forms can be obtained from the Farr Administration Building at 2810 Metropolitan Way in Hoover. School officials said they hope soon to have a nomination form available for people to download from the school system's Web site. The site is www.hoover.k12.al.us.

All nominations must be returned to the Farr Administration Building by noon Dec. 1.

All nominations from the community at large will be put into a pool, and 10 of those names will be drawn randomly. Those nominees will be combined with up to 40 others chosen by designated groups.

The Hoover Board of Education can nominate 10 people, as can the mayor and City Council together. The 15 parent organizations representing Hoover schools each can nominate one person, and the Hoover Chamber of Commerce can nominate five.

Two names will be drawn randomly from the school board nominees, two from the mayor and council nominees and two from the community-at-large nominees.

Three names will be drawn from the parent organization nominees and one from the Chamber of Commerce nominees. That amounts to half of the 20-member team and guarantees that each group has representatives.

Names of all remaining nominees from the pool of 50 will be put together and 10 more will be selected randomly.

The planning team will be responsible for developing rezoning scenarios and testing them to see how well they meet community values for rezoning as established by focus groups and prioritized by a telephone poll of Hoover parents. The team will not be allowed to alter those values or their ranking of importance, Williams said.

A mathematical formula will be used to test each scenario, and a preferred rezoning scenario should emerge, said Tim Aho, a planning consultant hired by the school board.

The team will have access to school system data as requested, such as school enrollment, building capacities and city growth projections.

Williams will use the planning team's work to develop her own rezoning recommendation for the school board to consider. ''It may or may not be the one that the community planning team comes up with,'' Williams said. She hopes, however, that will be the case, she said.

The school board will have the final say, subject to approval by the U.S. Department of Justice.

Williams said she hopes to have a rezoning recommendation ready for the board to consider by January or February.  

IP Logged
HSCIN
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 02/06/08 at 4:45pm

Birmingham News (AL)
Board OKs planning team selection  

November 2, 2004  
Section: COMMUNITY  
Edition: Editorial Page  
HOOVER  

The Hoover school board on Monday agreed on a process to pick a community planning team that will help devise ways to redraw middle and high school attendance zones.

Selection of the 20-member team was a sticking point because some people have expressed concern that some faction in the community might try to control the contentious rezoning process.

The school board decided to seek 40 nominations from various groups in Hoover and allow the community at large to nominate team members as well. However, every nominee must be a parent of children in Hoover schools.

School board members agreed on a process that will guarantee certain groups representation on the committee, including the mayor and City Council, parent organizations, the Hoover Chamber of Commerce and the school board itself.

School board member Tom Defnall said guaranteed representation was important. ''This is a huge decision for our city and our children,'' Defnall said.

The school board will nominate 10 people, and the mayor and City Council together can nominate 10 more. The Hoover Chamber of Commerce can nominate five people, and each of Hoover's 15 parent organizations can nominate one person.

Ten names will be chosen from among the community-at-large nominations by a random drawing, creating a total pool of 50 nominees.

From that group, two names will be drawn randomly from the school board nominees, two names from the mayor and council nominees and two names from the community-at-large nominees.

Three names will be drawn from the parent organization nominees and one name from the Chamber of Commerce nominees.

That amounts to half of the 20-member team. Names of all the remaining nominees will be put in a combined pool, and 10 will be selected randomly.

The planning team will be responsible for developing rezoning scenarios and testing them to see how well they meet community values established by focus groups and prioritized by a telephone poll of Hoover parents.

A mathematical formula will be used to test each scenario, and a preferred zoning scenario should emerge, said Tim Aho, a planning consultant hired by the school board. The whole process should take two-and-a-half to three months, Aho said.

School board Vice President Bill Veitch said the process may be a good thing, but it may not. It does him no more good than the many public meetings the board held this past spring to discuss rezoning, he said.

''I'm not going to give up my responsibility as a school board member,'' Veitch said, noting the final rezoning decision rests with the board.

School board President Kay Witt said the board isn't abdicating its responsibility. Superintendent Connie Williams will use the committee's findings to make a recommendation to the board, and the board will vote on it, Witt said.

School board member Joe Dean said this process allows for more organized participation, which the community requested.

Aho said he would set deadlines for nominations this week and post them on the school system's Web site: www.hoover.k12.al.us.  

« Last Edit: 02/07/08 at 11:44am by HSCIN »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print